PDA

View Full Version : Jeep Patriot and Compass lack of power?

GoneFishing
01-14-2015, 11:07 PM
Hi all,

So my friend is looking to buy a new or near new 'crossover' type for his next work vehicle. :rolleyes:
I went with him out to Chadstone Chrysler Jeep Dodge (http://www.chadstonejeep.com.au/) and Berwick Chrysler Jeep Dodge (http://www.berwickchryslerjeep.com.au/), we test drove the Compass and a Patriot Blachawk.

He was so keen on the white 2014 Blackhawk until we took it for a test drive..
It was extremely under powered, I mean 2L in such a big car we should have expected it. I think it may also have something to do with the variable transmission gearbox it has in the auto version? It's a worry to pull out into traffic because the lack of power so i was wondering if anyone has the manual version and if it's any better?

failing that are there any reasonably in-expensive mods we could do to improve this?

I know there is an 2.4 version but for some reason that is 10k more expensive :confused:

Anyway if anyone has any ideas of how to improve performance or have another similar car around the same price range price feel free to let me know!

JENSSEN
01-14-2015, 11:19 PM
wrong forum,....

really wrong

4.3LXJ
01-14-2015, 11:41 PM
I have to say that I am not aware of any mods that will make enough horsepower to make a difference. Early Patriots had low power and an amazing14 mpg until they got the 3.6L V6

XJ Wheeler
01-14-2015, 11:43 PM
Brasscatz has a patriot, he may know more but I don't think the aftermarket has taken to them so unless he makes his own I think he's stuck with stock. Plus, I don't think the mpg is real good with them either.

Brasscatz
01-15-2015, 07:15 AM
mpg is actually not too bad on my wife's Patriot. Probably mid-20's hwy. She's got 90k miles on it and we are beyond ready to get her a new car.

Very underpowered... if you have a load of any kind (even 2 adults in the back seat) then it'll take you a while to merge onto a highway. It's not too bad without passengers though lol.

I hate the transmission on these things. You can't even check the fluid yourself. Can't speak for the manuals, just the cvt.

We've already had to take it into the dealer for a new throttle body (about a thousand dollar job) because it went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 13 miles an hour. You can't change it yourself unless you have the computer equipment to re-whatever the jeep with the new throttle body.

It also has a weak suspension. Need to replace the front for the last 20k miles, but keep putting it off because struts are expensive and we don't want the "Jeep" anymore.

There's also a healthy clunk on 40% of all engine starts (feels like a mount is shot, but they're not).

All in all, this has been the least reliable vehicle we've owned. It's the same size as an XJ but with far less ground clearance and a ton more cargo room. It's gotten us through most of what we've asked of it though. But for us, it's time to move on.

I cannot suggest that your friend buys one, but I'm just one person. FYI, the Compass, Patriot, Nitro, Avenger and several other Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles are the exact same cars... just with different looks.

For a good cross-over, I'd go Subaru. All-Wheel drive and reliable.

abebehrmann
01-15-2015, 08:52 AM
Only heard bad things about the Patriot/Compass. I have no experience with them but I had a Honda Civic with a CVT and hated it as well. They're good to keep rpm low for better mpg, but other than that I think they suck!

GoneFishing
01-18-2015, 11:00 PM
mpg is actually not too bad on my wife's Patriot. Probably mid-20's hwy. She's got 90k miles on it and we are beyond ready to get her a new car.

Very underpowered... if you have a load of any kind (even 2 adults in the back seat) then it'll take you a while to merge onto a highway. It's not too bad without passengers though lol.

I hate the transmission on these things. You can't even check the fluid yourself. Can't speak for the manuals, just the cvt.

We've already had to take it into the dealer for a new throttle body (about a thousand dollar job) because it went into limp mode and wouldn't go over 13 miles an hour. You can't change it yourself unless you have the computer equipment to re-whatever the jeep with the new throttle body.

It also has a weak suspension. Need to replace the front for the last 20k miles, but keep putting it off because struts are expensive and we don't want the "Jeep" anymore.

There's also a healthy clunk on 40% of all engine starts (feels like a mount is shot, but they're not).

All in all, this has been the least reliable vehicle we've owned. It's the same size as an XJ but with far less ground clearance and a ton more cargo room. It's gotten us through most of what we've asked of it though. But for us, it's time to move on.

I cannot suggest that your friend buys one, but I'm just one person. FYI, the Compass, Patriot, Nitro, Avenger and several other Chrysler/Jeep/Dodge vehicles are the exact same cars... just with different looks.

For a good cross-over, I'd go Subaru. All-Wheel drive and reliable.

Thanks heaps mate! I will pass this on. Yeah he said to me if he was going to buy a Subaru Forester he would want a GT so would have to save for a bit longer (Beggars can't be choosers).
I have also been told to check out the Suzuki grand-vitara, as they come with a bigger engine and have more extras. Doe's anyone know if they are any good?

Brasscatz
01-18-2015, 11:40 PM
Any time. I've known a few people with Suzuki's, but honestly don't have enough info on them to give an informed opinion.