PDA

View Full Version : 98 Xj distributor squeaking!

Jeepster19
01-10-2015, 10:57 AM
My 98 cherokee classic has the tried and true 4.0L.I started it up the other evening and I hear a squeaking noise coming from under the hood.I traced it to the distributor with a mechanics stethoscope.Is this a possible bearing or bushing going bad?If the distributor has to be replaced is it the standard s.o.p. to replace it or is it more involved?Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Cheromaniac
01-10-2015, 12:07 PM
Sounds like a classic case of a worn distributor shaft bearing. If you leave it, the problem will only get worse and cause a wobble in the shaft that'll ultimately break the rotor and leave you stranded with an engine that refuses to start.
Just get a new OEM distributor as a replacement. The job itself is easy. Before you start, just turn the crank with a socket wrench until the 0* timing mark on the harmonic balancer is lined up with the pointer on the timing cover and the no.1 cylinder at TDC on the compression stroke. Note the position of the rotor in relation to the distributor body before you remove the old distributor. Then when you install the new distributor (with a new gasket at the base where it meets the block), just make sure that the rotor is in the same position.
Finally, when you attach the plug cables to the distributor cap, make sure you have them in the correct position and firing order. Job done.

Jeepster19
01-11-2015, 05:22 PM
:thumbsup::thumbsup:So I took a look at the distributor and I put some Boeshield T-9 lubricant on it and it stopped squeaking for the time being.I ordered a Mopar distributor yesterday and I got a email back from them saying the part is no longer available!:thumbdown:All I can find is a-1 cardone reman or a new rich porter distributor.Is either of these any good??? I don't like to skimp or cheap out on my Xj but I may not have a choice.If anyone has any experience with either of these please chime in with your experience.Thanks in advance.