PDA

View Full Version : Best Dana 30 Lunchbox Locker?

abebehrmann
01-06-2015, 02:08 PM
I'm looking to purchase a lunchbox locker for the Dana 30 in my 99 XJ, but not sure what brand to go with. Looking for any and all recommendations and impressions from those that have experience.

4.3LXJ
01-06-2015, 02:29 PM
Abe, the one you have pictured is either a Lokka or an Aussie. You really cannot tell the difference looking at them. They are both good lockers. They also have the least amount of parts. I have Lokka front and rear, and cannot complain. They take some abuse in the rocks. You can hear in some of my vids a tink, tink tink sound. That is the locker unlocking on one side and engaging the other. As far as I know, they will all do that when they unlock. There is an argument you need a new pin that is hardened that you get with others. I don't think that is the case since that pin is hardened already by Dana

abebehrmann
01-06-2015, 03:32 PM
Abe, the one you have pictured is either a Lokka or an Aussie. You really cannot tell the difference looking at them. They are both good lockers. They also have the least amount of parts. I have Lokka front and rear, and cannot complain. They take some abuse in the rocks. You can hear in some of my vids a tink, tink tink sound. That is the locker unlocking on one side and engaging the other. As far as I know, they will all do that when they unlock. There is an argument you need a new pin that is hardened that you get with others. I don't think that is the case since that pin is hardened already by Dana

Thanks Steve. I completely forgot about the Lokka, I was looking at Spartan, Lockright, and Aussie. I don't think you can beat $198 shipped for a locker! I'll hold off ordering until others can weigh in but I think you may have already made my decision for me.

xj-jake
01-06-2015, 04:09 PM
I'll be doing a Lokka when I get to that point. You can package deal them on their website also. One for the front, one for the back, and one time shipping...

denverd1
01-06-2015, 04:14 PM
shipping to US now free

bigjim350
01-06-2015, 05:57 PM
I have a lockrite in the front of mine. Works great. And, atleast on mine, I have never heard a single sound from it.

KMW-NWXJ
01-07-2015, 12:24 AM
Curious if you see any issues with the Aussie/Lokka on snow/slick roads with it in the front? Or even just normal driving. It seems like if you are just in two wheel drive it should be invisible. With no power to the front there should be no way it could possibly engage, right? I could see some possible issues running it in 4 wheel drive on snowy streets maybe.

Firemanray
01-07-2015, 07:20 AM
shipping to US now free

Link to this free shipping you speak of please.

abebehrmann
01-07-2015, 07:49 AM

http://lokka.com/site/

Pick your vehicle and it tells you that the price listed is total price including shipping.

abebehrmann
01-07-2015, 07:56 AM
Curious if you see any issues with the Aussie/Lokka on snow/slick roads with it in the front? Or even just normal driving. It seems like if you are just in two wheel drive it should be invisible. With no power to the front there should be no way it could possibly engage, right? I could see some possible issues running it in 4 wheel drive on snowy streets maybe.

I live in Central Florida and probably won't be moving to a climate much colder any time soon so it will probably be a while until I have to drive in any snowy/icy conditions. Hopefully it will be completely invisible on road except for a few clicks on turns.

denverd1
01-07-2015, 08:46 AM

yellow banner at TOP of page: http://lokka.com/site/

Do LSDs count? (G80?)

rabies
01-07-2015, 10:01 AM
my guess lsd is in between locker and open. you get "limited" slip

4.3LXJ
01-07-2015, 02:41 PM

I have bought three of them, all free shipping.

bluedragon436
01-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Been looking at the Lokka dual set pair.. especially for the pricing and the free shipping.. I'm a bit worried about the driving in the snow/ice as we do have that here in Delaware quite a bit.. I mean at least I can drive the Jeep slowly and learn how it'll handle the snow/ice and if it is too much, then I can always go back to my Ram for winter driving if need be.. I've read online though, as long as you aren't getting on the gas, the rear shouldn't engage both wheels at the same time, and so long as you pay attention to when you start to loose traction, and let up on the gas to get the locker to unlock you'll be fine.. not sure if that is true or not.. but have seen something simlar to that statement a few times, so figured I'd ask the folks here if that is true or not.. Not planning on being here in DE forever.. so some mods might not be the best for DD here in DE, but will work great out on the trails, and once I move back down south to SC or wherever further south...

rabies
01-08-2015, 10:06 AM
anyone have a video of rear locker on ice of what happens on lock up?
anyone wreck from it?

98FloridaXJ
01-08-2015, 06:45 PM
I live in Central Florida and probably won't be moving to a climate much colder any time soon so it will probably be a while until I have to drive in any snowy/icy conditions. Hopefully it will be completely invisible on road except for a few clicks on turns.

We may not get ice and snow here in central Florida but the lovely rain storms that produce slick roads that can produce similar conditions.

downsy
01-10-2015, 02:30 AM
I've had the lockright in the front of two XJs and really liked it but honestly have no experience with any of the others.