PDA

View Full Version : XJ rear leafs

van-man
01-04-2015, 06:11 PM
hi guys, I have a 99 xj with a 3" pro comp lift that came with an add a leaf for the rear. The leafs are toast and basically flat. Does anybody have any suggestions for replacement options? thanks!

4.3LXJ
01-04-2015, 06:28 PM
There are three things you can do. One is use another add a leaf. You already know what will happen. The cheapest is to use the S10 rear leaves, bottom four on your existing main. That will give you 3.5". The third is use just about anyones full leaf pack for a three inch lift

van-man
01-04-2015, 06:31 PM
pro comp claims 2" lift with the add a leaf.. do you think a heavy duty stock spring would do the trick?

4.3LXJ
01-04-2015, 06:33 PM
No, probably only an inch lift there. You need a spring made for a lift

van-man
01-04-2015, 06:34 PM
awesome..thanks!

rabies
01-07-2015, 10:06 AM
i bought off ebay RB 3.5" full leaf packs.
reused my bolts, they were fine.
got new hanger bolts.
used anti-seize on them all.
was $210 shipped.
i removed the bottom flat overload spring.
came with a degreed shim.
came to about 3.5" lift when done and settled.
if they are toast like mine. at least buy new bolts for shackle and new oem shackle. mine was juuuuust about to brake from being so rusted :/

van-man
01-17-2015, 09:55 PM
what about an oem heavy duty spring with lift shackles?

rabies
01-20-2015, 10:45 AM
whatever floats your boat....or canoo..or jeep i guess

xj-jake
01-20-2015, 11:07 AM
what about an oem heavy duty spring with lift shackles?

I think you're asking for trouble with this. I will echo what Steve says. You need a leaf designed for a lift. $210 is a darn good deal and if that's too much the S10 bastard pack is even cheaper.

07Negative
01-20-2015, 11:41 AM
Rubicon Express leaf packs are the cheapest best option in my opinion. I like the Iron Rock OffRoad leafs as well. And I'm on a set of Clayton leafs now. But that's a expensive option.
But like Steve said. The bastard pack (S10) option is hard to beat. Pretty darn flexy and cheap option.

NW99XJ
01-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Rubicon Express leaf packs are the cheapest best option in my opinion. I like the Iron Rock OffRoad leafs as well. And I'm on a set of Clayton leafs now. But that's a expensive option.
But like Steve said. The bastard pack (S10) option is hard to beat. Pretty darn flexy and cheap option.
I will concur with all of this, and add that another (high end) option would be Deaver springs... Military wrapped, and strong as hell... built to your specs... premium product, and yea, premium price. (but you get what you pay for)
That being said... I'm just about to the end of the life in my procomp full leaf packs... They were set up for a 3" lift... And I have abused the living (you know what) out of them.
I honestly thought that I would have had to replace them long ago. But 7+ years of HARD rock crawling, and aggressive wheeling and they're still going strong... JUST NOW starting to show signs of sagging on one side, and the bottom leafs are fanning out more than I would like. These are sold thru 4wheel parts, and typically have plenty of room to haggle on price (as thats the stuff they want to push the most I think)... If I were to do it all over again, I may have opted for something else, but I have been happy thus far.
Bottom line... a bastard pack will do just fine, add-a-leafs are only a last ditch/no other option solution (which is temporary at best) .... but ultimately the best solution is a new leaf pack.
Good luck... and be sure to post up what you end up going with.
(pics too please!)
:D

van-man
01-31-2015, 06:31 PM
I have thought about a bastard pack but when you factor in the time it takes to go to the junk yard and pull them out, then install them on the jeep it boils down to how much your time is worth... I wish I had countless hours to work on my jeep but i dont.(poor me,,lol)

nickyg
01-31-2015, 09:00 PM
I have thought about a bastard pack but when you factor in the time it takes to go to the junk yard and pull them out, then install them on the jeep it boils down to how much your time is worth... I wish I had countless hours to work on my jeep but i dont.(poor me,,lol)

I have a bastard pack. It works well and it was cheap. But If I had to do it over again I would get some lift springs and the shackle relocation bracket.