View Full Version : Adjustable upper&lower control arms.

Jeepster19
01-04-2015, 02:22 PM
Ok guys I need a opinion on upper and lower control arms.I have a BDS 4.5" short arm kit on my 98 and for the second time the adjustable lower control arm bushings are worn out.I would like to go with some good quality control arms and would like to know the pro's and con's of the different manufacturers.Thanks in advance for all your help and your input!:D

Pookapotamus
01-04-2015, 03:32 PM
Unfortunately with a 4.5" lift and short arms your problem is simply bad geometry, you are the very top of what you can run with short arms. You might be able to find a good set with Johnny joints and they will last longer but in my opinion it might be time to upgrade to long arms, it's well worth it and much easier on the jeep. Check out claytons website for control arms, and while you are there take a look at the long arm kits.

Jeepster19
01-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Unfortunately with a 4.5" lift and short arms your problem is simply bad geometry, you are the very top of what you can run with short arms. You might be able to find a good set with Johnny joints and they will last longer but in my opinion it might be time to upgrade to long arms, it's well worth it and much easier on the jeep. Check out claytons website for control arms, and while you are there take a look at the long arm kits.

Thanks for the info Pookapotamus.Have you seen the drop brackets from rough country?http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-xj-control-arm-drop-kit-1627.html
Let me know what you think.I hate to buy a new long arm kit since everything else is good except the lower control arms.If this kit is feasible to use then I'll buy it.Thanks for your response.:xj-blue:

Take a look at the bushings on these control arms.They look like a step up from what I have.http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-adjustable-control-arms-1192.html

4.3LXJ
01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
You can get a kit that has the brackets and arms. Then reuse everything you currently have

Pookapotamus
01-05-2015, 05:18 PM
Ya a drop kit is a cheap alternative, solves some of the geometry issues, it will keep you going for a while!