PDA

View Full Version : New to Jeep and the XJ scene...

MarkAidan
01-02-2015, 08:59 AM
Hello everyone.

I have been a Toyota fanatic my entire life (2 trucks and 6 4Runners), but a friend talked me into buying an XJ so I could "hang with the big boys on the trails". I took his advice and bought a 2001 Limited.

I made the purchase in September 2014, and have been restoring and moddifing it ever since. I have performed all the work to-date myself - and phase 1 (modest restoration and lift) is now complete. I'm starting phase 2 (8.8 rear axle, gears, lockers and armor) over the next week and hope to be done by mid February.

I'm so glad I made the decision to build an XJ, but Holy Crap... I never knew the headaches I would encounter, though. LOL!!

You guys have a cool site and I hope to learn a lot more from the members! I guess it's okay to post pictures on this part of the forum, but here she is...

Here's Ruby the day I brought her home:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_0988_zpsabaddd4c.jpg (http://s79.photobucket.com/user/liftedjeepxj_ruby/media/IMG_0988_zpsabaddd4c.jpg.html)

Finishing up the front lift, some 1 ton steering linkage and all new braking system:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_1138_zps6dabf486.jpg

Fast forward 4 months:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_1148_zpsd23054c1.jpg

Comparision shot with my DD (don't hate... I still drive a Toyota, too) :rolleye0012:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_1149_zps34ee75af.jpg

prerunner1982
01-02-2015, 09:11 AM
Welcome from Oklahoma.

How did you find our site?

Feel free to ask any question, no matter how stupid you may think it is. No flaming here, we are all here to help.

Mudderoy
01-02-2015, 10:40 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk:

Nothing wrong with putting in a Ford 8.8 but if you have a Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline) you have a tough axle already. Swap to rear disk brakes (parts from a Grand Cherokee) now you have something that will hold the axles in if you break it at the "C" clip. Just an idea.

What you might want to focus on "axle wise" is to put in a high pinion front axle.

4.3LXJ
01-02-2015, 10:46 AM
I agree with Tony on the rear axle. The Cryco 8.25 for that year is a decent axle, and easier to set up gears than in the 8.8. However if you have ABS braking, then it gets a little more complicated

MarkAidan
01-02-2015, 01:52 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk:

Nothing wrong with putting in a Ford 8.8 but if you have a Chrysler 8.25 (29 spline) you have a tough axle already. Swap to rear disk brakes (parts from a Grand Cherokee) now you have something that will hold the axles in if you break it at the "C" clip. Just an idea.

What you might want to focus on "axle wise" is to put in a high pinion front axle.

I didn't know much about the XJ axles options when I bought the 01, but it currently has the low pinion D30 and the D35 (so that must go first). I was more worried about finding a 100% rust-free platform for the build - mission accomplished.

Plus, I already have the ford axle in the works, so I'm kind of stuck with it now... 31 spine chromoly shafts, disk brakes, open diff to accomodate the ARB with Yukon bearings and Yukon 4.88 gears. I think I'll be okay with this set-up for the time being.

I do have a lead on a HP D44 (already ARB locked w/ USA 4.88) for the front, but I'm still working out the details on the purchase. I would really like to make the purchase before I hit the trails, but I can take it easy for a little while until the front axle is changed out.

MarkAidan
01-02-2015, 01:58 PM
I agree with Tony on the rear axle. The Cryco 8.25 for that year is a decent axle, and easier to set up gears than in the 8.8. However if you have ABS braking, then it gets a little more complicated

I completely agree with you both, but I wasn't an "informed" enough buyer when I made the purchase. And like I mentioned above, I didn't want a rust bucket for the build so I sought out the cleanest XJ I could find in a 3 state radius.

Yeah, I was told the ABS has to go with the new 8.8 - because of all the complications you already know about. I'm okay with that as well... this is 90% trail rig so I'm okay with no ABS.

MarkAidan
01-02-2015, 02:01 PM
Welcome from Oklahoma.

How did you find our site?

Feel free to ask any question, no matter how stupid you may think it is. No flaming here, we are all here to help.

Thank you and welcome from Pennsylvania! I actually found about your site through a cherokee forum, so I decided to join here too.

I also belong to a number of 4Runner and Toyota forums, and you can't go wrong gathering contacts and tech information from multiple sites.

NW99XJ
01-02-2015, 02:24 PM
Hey Mark, Welcome to XJ Talk, and welcome to the world of Jeeps.
Sounds like you've done some research and homework already. Already having what sounds like an extensive background in offroading and vehicle modification, alot of this is going to come real easy for you. All the little tips/tricks/and do's/do-not's... is what we're here for. Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more pics and what you have planned for the future as well very soon.

Brasscatz
01-02-2015, 11:15 PM
Welcome aboard! Man that's a beautiful lookin Jeep you got there!

XJ Wheeler
01-03-2015, 01:04 AM
Quite a looker! The Jeep of course. ;) Looks like you found an immaculate specimen to take to the dark side. These things are surprisingly easy to work on, parts are getting very easy to come by (something you'll appreciate coming from Toy's), and the growing group of XJ'ers is nice. Let us know if you need any advice or a trip to Jeep school. We're always glad to help out.

Welcome to xjtalk, and the jeep world!

bluedragon436
01-03-2015, 02:20 AM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware!! Def looks as if you have found a nice specimen for your delve into the Jeep Life!! That is a nice Toy you got there as a DD... def no hate from me..

MarkAidan
01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
Hey Mark, Welcome to XJ Talk, and welcome to the world of Jeeps.
Sounds like you've done some research and homework already. Already having what sounds like an extensive background in offroading and vehicle modification, alot of this is going to come real easy for you. All the little tips/tricks/and do's/do-not's... is what we're here for. Looks like you're off to a great start. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more pics and what you have planned for the future as well very soon.

Thank you! And that's exactly why I joined here, to learn from folks that have 'been there and done that', because I had absolutely NO knowledge of Jeeps just 5 months ago.

And as far as being easy... that was so not the case. haha! I thought that 20 years of driving and modifying Toy's would help me, but as you guys know - modifying a unibody rig brings about some new experiences and a long list of complications. :D

In the end, I'm super happy I chose the XJ as my latest project. I looked at some already built Wranglers and GC's, but I always came back to the XJ. And after looking around for a few months, I ultimately decided to buy stock and build the rig myself. I had some ridiculous notion I could save some money. I guess that joke was on me… LOL!!

Thanks again for the warm welcome!

4.3LXJ
01-03-2015, 10:40 AM
Don't let that unibody scare you. It is not that tough at all

MarkAidan
01-03-2015, 10:45 AM
Quite a looker! The Jeep of course. ;) Looks like you found an immaculate specimen to take to the dark side. These things are surprisingly easy to work on, parts are getting very easy to come by (something you'll appreciate coming from Toy's), and the growing group of XJ'ers is nice. Let us know if you need any advice or a trip to Jeep school. We're always glad to help out.

Welcome to xjtalk, and the jeep world!

Thank you for the compliment, I think? ;) Yeah, I have roughly 150 hours into the build already and things have gotten a lot easier for me. But I knew if I put the time and energy into the build, I would learn about the strengths and weakness of the XJ platform - basically, I had to retrain my brain into believing you can build a solid trail rig on a unibody platform. Needless to say, I am more than convinced now!

I live about 45 miles south Rausch Creek, so I'll be cutting my new XJ teeth on those trails. I hope to meet and trail with some forum members up there as well. And I already have a different feel with the Jeep scene, too. The Yota guys are great, but you guys are a absolutely nuts - and you live and breath this stuff every day of your life. That's my way of thinking, too!

Ohhh... you gotta admit a little, a 4Runner can turn some heads and handle the trails if properly built. I'll leave this here for you... LOL! Great chatting with you.

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_0162_zps4ba812f0.jpg

Brasscatz
01-03-2015, 06:52 PM
Ohhh... you gotta admit a little, a 4Runner can turn some heads and handle the trails if properly built. I'll leave this here for you... LOL! Great chatting with you.

Oh I'd love to have a 4 Runner.... I've got a daughter on the way and they make great cars for my wife to tote the young'un around shopping in :D :poke: :poke: just givin ya a hard time lol

XJ Wheeler
01-03-2015, 10:39 PM
Thank you for the compliment, I think? ;) Yeah, I have roughly 150 hours into the build already and things have gotten a lot easier for me. But I knew if I put the time and energy into the build, I would learn about the strengths and weakness of the XJ platform - basically, I had to retrain my brain into believing you can build a solid trail rig on a unibody platform. Needless to say, I am more than convinced now!

I live about 45 miles south Rausch Creek, so I'll be cutting my new XJ teeth on those trails. I hope to meet and trail with some forum members up there as well. And I already have a different feel with the Jeep scene, too. The Yota guys are great, but you guys are a absolutely nuts - and you live and breath this stuff every day of your life. That's my way of thinking, too!

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j144/liftedjeepxj_ruby/IMG_0162_zps4ba812f0.jpg

You definitely can. Don't get me wrong, a frame would be nice, but there are advantages to the unibody. Because the whole body is the frame (meaning it uses the whole structure for support) the entire body is generally stronger. Ever noticed these jeeps do better in a roll over? The roofs tend to take that impact better than a body on frame vehicle. Downside is it needs the structural integrity is important. Such as rust can be more of a worry in stressful areas. And the reason you need to cage it if you want to chop the top.

The jeep community is an awesome group. One of the best i've found, only to be beat by the Volkswagen crowd.

I have no hate on the 4runner. I applaud toyota for keeping a real suv and not giving in to the European crossover styling. And keeping some off road abilities too. A solid front axle would be nice but at least the rear is still a proper one. Its part of a dying breed and hopefully they'll keep it going.

Great looking toy too!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
01-03-2015, 10:45 PM

Definitely no hate here for the 4Runners.. The one like you built are the ones I think look the best when setup correctly like you did.. Only other 4Runner I'd like is the early/mid 80's when they were still SFA, and even the trucks till 85 before they went to IFS for the comfort of the riders...

MarkAidan
01-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Oh I'd love to have a 4 Runner.... I've got a daughter on the way and they make great cars for my wife to tote the young'un around shopping in :D :poke: :poke: just givin ya a hard time lol

Well... I have to say, that's right on money. lol I had to make a deal with my wife that I would trade my 4Runner for her Accord, if I wanted any chance of building another truck. I didn't think twice... I turned over the keys and asked (begged) for a budget. :D

All kidding aside, they are exceptionally built, all-around SUV. My 07 Sport Edition in the picture rolls on 4" of lift and 285-75's M/T's, and it honestly drives better than our Accord.

MarkAidan
01-06-2015, 07:27 PM
Definitely no hate here for the 4Runners.. The one like you built are the ones I think look the best when setup correctly like you did.. Only other 4Runner I'd like is the early/mid 80's when they were still SFA, and even the trucks till 85 before they went to IFS for the comfort of the riders...

I couldn't agree more! If Toyota would have stuck with the SFA, I believe the off-road landscape may look a little differently today.

And I considered going the SAS route for this 4Runner, but with only 70K miles currently on the truck - At the end of the day, I just couldn't justify tearing out the entire front end to turn it into a weekend crawler.

Besides... I am super stoked about my XJ project! I haven't even driven it on the road and I'm already in love. haha!

autotech98
01-08-2015, 07:45 AM
XJ tend to have that effect on you lol. Welcome from southcentral Pa . Love the xj and the yota !

abebehrmann
01-08-2015, 07:03 PM
Welcome to the site from Central FL. Good looking XJ you've built