PDA

View Full Version : Electric fan conversion help

Mayooo
12-29-2014, 02:08 PM
Well my mechanical fan exploded on me today.. So looks like it's time to do the conversion to all electric.

Has any one done this and what size fans did you use. Also the CFM needed to cook the beast.

Thx

4.3LXJ
12-29-2014, 02:46 PM
I have. I used a Taurus 3.8L two speed efan. But you will have to make your own shroud and set up relays to operate it. Minimum efan capacity is 1800 cfm. The taurus fan goes to 3800

Mayooo
01-08-2015, 09:02 AM
Went with a 3 10" fan setup.. They should arrive today.. And I think yall will like the switch setup.

denverd1
01-08-2015, 09:05 AM
temp controlled?

Mayooo
01-09-2015, 09:33 AM
temp controlled?

For now it will be a three way switch. Off, single fan, full 3 fans. A single fan is rated at 1750CFM, x3 5250CFM. I went with high flow fans. Also I'm removing the a/c radiator. ( I know it's called something else just can't remember). The single fan is connected to a ignition bus and the other two are wired direct to the batt. With the switch in the full position. All 3 fans will run with the key off.
I'll explane more on the wiring and controller in my build thread.

In the spring I'll be adding the temp controller.

Here's a sneak peek at the controller schematic.
** my circuit program doesn't have a 3way switch, just visualize the switches as one)

http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii559/die2end/E57EBE56-797B-421D-87C3-7AA43DE09C62_zpsyl52lbjh.png

Mayooo
04-18-2015, 06:54 PM
Update on the fans.. Decided to take the xj for a quick spin through the woods behind the house. Had it flexing pretty good and a lot of rock crawling. The temp here today was in the 70's. The fans handled the temps very well. A little to well if you ask me. I had to switch to a single fan when I wasn't on any treacherous part of the trail.

denverd1
04-18-2015, 08:09 PM
Nice work
Couldn't you tap into the stock wiring to make it temp controlled? I was just under there doing some steering gear stuff and it's just 2 wires to the e fan. Maybe relay off that. Seems easier than running more wire to the cab

nickyg
04-19-2015, 10:12 AM
Nice work
Couldn't you tap into the stock wiring to make it temp controlled? I was just under there doing some steering gear stuff and it's just 2 wires to the e fan. Maybe relay off that. Seems easier than running more wire to the cab

I thought of the same thing. Anyone have a reason why it can't be done like that?

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Mayooo
04-19-2015, 10:22 AM
I thought of the same thing. Anyone have a reason why it can't be done like that?

Sent from my toaster using Tapatalk

Probably could..

I have mine set up with a three way switch.
-All fans off
-One fan on with two fans temp controlled
-All fans on

nickyg
04-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Probably could..

I have mine set up with a three way switch.
-All fans off
-One fan on with two fans temp controlled
-All fans on

OH I didn't see that 2 were temp controlled that makes more sense to me now.

My concern is that I share the jeep with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. I need a fully automated system to ensure the proper fan gets turned on.

I have a big label on my off road lights that say REMOVE COVER but they still get melted.

denverd1
04-20-2015, 09:45 AM
OH I didn't see that 2 were temp controlled that makes more sense to me now.

My concern is that I share the jeep with my wife and 2 teenage daughters. I need a fully automated system to ensure the proper fan gets turned on.

I have a big label on my off road lights that say REMOVE COVER but they still get melted.

sweet, i didn't see that either. I've got 2 10" 1800 cfm fans. I'm going to add at least one to the XJ. let engine temp hit a relay, then power each fan separately. 'maybe i can get away without putting vents from a crappy mid nineties 4 door sedan in my hood

Will prolly put the other fan on the new and improved WK trans cooler.

autotech98
04-26-2015, 04:56 PM
I like those vents.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547