PDA

View Full Version : XJ tire carrier

98FloridaXJ
12-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Sw this setup at Jeeptoberfest this past October and didn't get a chance to take any other pictures because our group was walking to the obstacle course and I forgot to go back to take more. I can see where it's attached to the quarter panel armor but any idea where I could pick up the prerunner swing away carrier that would fit an XJ?

Mudderoy
12-28-2014, 09:07 AM
That's pretty cool. I did some searching and some of the comments were...

If you take a rear hit the force of the impact will be transferred directly to the body.

I wouldn't use HEIM joints, but poly keeps costs down and won't move around as much.

98FloridaXJ
12-28-2014, 10:13 AM
Yeah I'm just trying to look at my tire carrier options, can't do a roof rack to get back in the garage let alone a 33" tire slung on top.

xjzaped
12-28-2014, 10:36 AM
I built one with a "kit". It had a universal plate for mounting different bolt patterns, a spindle and latch. Came from A to Z Fabrication. Used it to add a spare tire carrier to my JCR rear bumper.

nickyg
12-28-2014, 03:30 PM
I like the detours tailbone. Maybe my next wife will give me a bigger Jeep budget.

http://www.detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

98FloridaXJ
12-28-2014, 05:18 PM
I would love a tail bone from detours but from what I've seen mark is not making them right now.

bluedragon436
12-28-2014, 06:59 PM
I would love a tail bone from detours but from what I've seen mark is not making them right now.

I'd say contact Mark before you throw it out as an idea for our spare tire needs.. He's an awesome guy to talk to about ideas you might have, or even changes/ideas you might have with products he already makes.. I'd say contact him as he might be revamping designs, or even wanting to put orders on hold while taking care of other parts, R&D, or even while he's trying to build up stock for these parts before opening ordering back up..