PDA

View Full Version : New battery

HeepJr
12-27-2014, 01:40 PM
i know i need a new battery looking at the blue tops it says it wont direct fit into my 96 cherokee what would i need to do to make it fit ?

Mudderoy
12-27-2014, 03:33 PM
i know i need a new battery looking at the blue tops it says it wont direct fit into my 96 cherokee what would i need to do to make it fit ?

Blue is the marine battery. I'd look at the yellow or red. Make sure you match up the CCA. Local Sam's Club had a yellow top, but it was like 600 CCA and I wanted the one with a much higher CCA (cold cranking amps)

HeepJr
12-28-2014, 10:02 AM
Blue is the marine battery. I'd look at the yellow or red. Make sure you match up the CCA. Local Sam's Club had a yellow top, but it was like 600 CCA and I wanted the one with a much higher CCA (cold cranking amps)

ooh okay ive heard people putting blue tops in and how it was amazing and how yellow and red were disappointment so what is a good battery then

4.3LXJ
12-28-2014, 11:22 AM
I have had good service out of my yellow and red. But that being said, it is the case size on the battery and position of the posts that make it fit. There are only two positions possible on the posts. So if you match the case size, then you can do it. But the reason it doesn't list a fit is that there is a need to change the ends on the cables. So you will have to deal with that.

Mudderoy
12-28-2014, 11:55 AM
I don't know of a reason you couldn't use a Blue Top Marine battery, maybe someone else does.

cpttuna
12-28-2014, 02:06 PM
You can to some extent make a bigger battery box. The old one is easy to remove. If you so choose, you then check the samples in the different stores for the biggest battery that will fit with the terminals in the correct position. Let me add that you should also check height. you want to be able to close the hood.

drakan1908
12-28-2014, 03:25 PM
I don't know of a reason you couldn't use a Blue Top Marine battery, maybe someone else does.
I know several guys that use the blue marine batteries. I've been told that they have capabilities of deep discharge plus starting but you do need to change your battery cable ends. Also know two guys that have had bad luck with the red tops in the past year, neither are still using them.

XJ Wheeler
12-28-2014, 05:22 PM
I am definitely an advocate for the Blue Top batteries. I have ran two of them in mine. The first lasted seven years and the replacement has been in there three with no issues. My brother also runs one in his XJ and its been going strong for four years. Neither of us had fitment issues and the terminals hooked right up. Also they have 750 cca so you'll be good there. They are a good deep cycle as well. I've run mine down several times and no harm done.

I run the D34M-950. They have different sizes so I can only speak of this one.

HeepJr
12-28-2014, 07:54 PM
I am definitely an advocate for the Blue Top batteries. I have ran two of them in mine. The first lasted seven years and the replacement has been in there three with no issues. My brother also runs one in his XJ and its been going strong for four years. Neither of us had fitment issues and the terminals hooked right up. Also they have 750 cca so you'll be good there. They are a good deep cycle as well. I've run mine down several times and no harm done.

I run the D34M-950. They have different sizes so I can only speak of this one.

where you get it from Canadian tire or you order it from there website?

XJ Wheeler
12-28-2014, 08:20 PM
I'm down in texas and we don't have those, I got my last one from Advance Auto. Ordered online for 20% off. It ended up being about $200. you may be able to find a better price though.

bcrosson92
12-30-2014, 01:31 PM
i just went through this same debate my self. i ended up getting a northstar battery from quadratec. its a group 65 but it fit in my 90 without mods to the battery tray. it may be different with the newer xjs. the battery was like 300$ though but has over 800 cca at zero deg.

downsy
12-31-2014, 12:39 AM
Optima changed owners a few years ago. Quality has gone down the crapper from what I've read recently on multiple forums. I used to run a Red Top in my last XJ. After reading all the bad recent reviews I decided to try the battery linked below.

I picked up a SEARS Platinum Deep Cycle (winch and lots of radios/electronic gizmos also lots of charging and gizmo running in campsites). Apparently the folks who manuf. the Sears Platinum batteries also make the Odyssey batteries. , which receive very high praises. The Sears Platinum has really good reviews on most of the off road forums.

I did have to modify the battery tray by cutting off the raised sides on the short ends. You'll see what I'm talking about when you put the battery in place. It fits width wise but not length wise. I took a grinder and trimmed off the ends of the battery tray. I love this battery with the dual sets of posts which makes wiring up the winch and other accessories easy peasy.

http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-34m-price/p-02850134000P?sid=IDx01192011x000001&kpid=02850134000&kispla=02850134000P&kpid=02850134000&mktRedirect=y

HeepJr
12-31-2014, 03:37 PM
the link doesnt work just takes me to the main website page. also searched for it on there website and cant find it just die hard batteries

WhileInTheWild
12-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Die Hard is the Sears brand that is made by Odyssey, this is what I recently bought to put in an ArkPak as an accessory battery-

DieHard Platinum Marine Battery Group Size 31M -
http://www.sears.com/diehard-platinum-marine-battery-group-size-31m-price/p-02850131000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

I didn't check if it would fit as a primary battery as I recently got a YellowTop for that purpose so you just need to find the version of the one above that fits.

HeepJr
12-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Why did you choose a Marine battery?

WhileInTheWild
12-31-2014, 04:16 PM
Largest capacity deep cycle battery I could find, this one is purely for running accessories for me but others run the Blue Top as a starting battery and that is also a marine battery. The marine designation just controls what terminals the battery has, usually it has the standard auto ones and the threaded marine terminals.

WhileInTheWild
12-31-2014, 04:24 PM
This is why I bought the marine deep cycle, to keep in this battery box:

https://www.arkportablepower.com/arkpak-2

It is charged while driving via a DC - DC charger and when camping I have this panel to keep it charged:

Amazon.com: RenogyⓇ Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger 100W: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51o7WNTSY3L.@@AMEPARAM@@51o7WNTSY3L

(Just in case you needed some gear lust)

HeepJr
12-31-2014, 04:27 PM
This is why I bought the marine deep cycle, to keep in this battery box:

https://www.arkportablepower.com/arkpak-2

It is charged while driving via a DC - DC charger and when camping I have this panel to keep it charged:

Amazon.com: RenogyⓇ Foldable Solar Suitcase Battery Charger 100W: Patio, Lawn & Garden (http://www.amazon.com/Renogy-Foldable-Suitcase-Battery-Charger/dp/B00HR8YNK6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1420064606&sr=8-1&keywords=renogy+solar+suitcase+100w)

(Just in case you needed some gear lust)

Oooooooooo.....Aaaaaaa
i like :D dont like the price......... but good future idea

downsy
01-01-2015, 10:10 AM
I choose a Marine Deep cycle mainly because I run a winch on my Jeep and other electrical doodads from my tablet and cell phone to a VHF/UHF and CB radios, and LED camp lights when parked.

I've got a jumper pack that I run that stuff off of at camp now (except for the radios) but it's got a small 18AH battery in it and doesn't really last that long.

I'm looking at setting up a solar power system for camp/backup power using a 100W solar panel mounted on the free space behind my roof basket, a 30 amp charge controller, and 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter, and a 35AH deep cycle battery (or two) mounted in the rear totally independent of the Jeep's electrical system. Everything but the panel will be mounted in a trail box that is tied down in the rear and removable when I do not need it.

WhiteDevil1311
01-05-2015, 07:53 AM
Marine batteries are designed to be fully discharged amd recharged over and over. RVs use deep cycles for all onboard gizmos. If I used alot of gizmos when camping id wire one into the xj but no need yet. They also just discharge alot slower then a car battery does. Think bass boat...they use the trolling motor alot and all their electronics with the main engine OFF. Im not sure with O/B engines but i know most I/B boats have an alternator to keep batts charged.

denverd1
01-05-2015, 05:21 PM
used marine batts as my starting batts on several things with no issue. just a deeper discharge cycle than others.

Optimas are now made in mexico with thinner plates than they had originally and the same big price tag. Some boat guys I know are liking Odyssey batts for their big power draw systems.