PDA

View Full Version : Head gasket, radiator and water pump questions

charles_
12-26-2014, 09:06 AM
Hi Merry Christmas to everyone

I have a 1996 cherokee country 4.0 and I need to change the head gasket, and put in radiator and most likely a water pump too.

I don't have a lot of money but i don't want to take everything apart and use crappy parts, so I asking for some suggestions.

What kind of gasket kit should I get? Should I get them from jeep dealer? What about new head bolts?
In the event my head is cracked, what about new head, where would I get that?

What kind of regular stock radiator would you suggest? , I need one that will fit right in. ..... how hard is to take my old one apart and rod it clean?

What kind of water pump would you suggest?

Thank you in advance

Brasscatz
12-26-2014, 10:46 AM
Honestly, you could probably do just fine with oem parts from rockauto.com. I replaced my water pump, hoses and thermostat from there. As for radiator, an oem replacement is your best option.

prerunner1982
12-26-2014, 10:47 AM
I believe head bolts are reusable 1 time, however why risk it unless you know the full history of the vehicle. Would buy new for added security.

As far as radiators, I have used Amazon.com: Spectra Premium CU1193 Complete Radiator for Jeep Cherokee/Pioneer/Wagoneer: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41LgCz4R43L.@@AMEPARAM@@41LgCz4R43L and it has worked fine for almost 2 years now. You do have to reuse two parts from the top of your stock radiator, but it's fits right in.

charles_
12-26-2014, 12:02 PM
thank you brasscatz for you reply.

thank you prerunner, what two parts do i have to reuse?
And I watched a video on youtube and he made some points on why its a good idea to use new head bolts. So i figured it be a good idea. I owned this jeep for about 6 years.

prerunner1982
12-26-2014, 12:11 PM
thank you brasscatz for you reply.

thank you prerunner, what two parts do i have to reuse?
And I watched a video on youtube and he made some points on why its a good idea to use new head bolts. So i figured it be a good idea. I owned this jeep for about 6 years.

I believe it is a little bracket on top on each side, that mounts to 2 of the 3 bolts on each side.

XJ Wheeler
12-26-2014, 06:37 PM
Yes, there are two isolators that need to be reused. Also, keep any fittings that screw into the radiator, never know when you may need them. I am on my second stock replacement from Advance Auto and let me tell you, that lifetime warranty is nice. On the head gasket i would either go with a factory part or a good felpro set. You'll probably change out the intake/exhaust gasket too. Is there a reason your head might be cracked? The '96 had a good casting and generally holds up well. I would have it magnafluxed to check for cracks and have the mounting surface checked to straightness, both can be done at a good machine shop. The head bolts are a good investment in my opinion. I mean, how many times are you gonna have the head off, so while you're in there its a lot easier.

Good luck and let us know if you need any advice on doing the work. Plenty of knowledgeable people here.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

charles_
12-29-2014, 09:38 AM
Thank you XJ Wheeler,

I hope its not cracked and I want to use new bolts and everything, I want to do it only once ! Yes, thank you, you guys here at XJTalk are great !

XJ Wheeler
12-29-2014, 03:09 PM
Anytime! We're here to help and glad to do so.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

cpttuna
01-01-2015, 05:52 AM
Replaced the radiator on both my 01"s this year. I went with the OEM from Autozone for Two reasons: lifetime warranty and its a lot easier to take a possible defective radiator back to your local Autozone then trying to deal with something you bought on-line.