PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Tinkicker!!!

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Hi Tinkicker, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 06:53 PM
Hi guys. I found this forum by a Google search on "Jeep Cherokee Forums". I'm trying to get all the information I can as I search for my ideal Bug Out Vehicle (BOV) project.
The XJ is the result of a LOT of research into the performance and potential of every domestic SUV I could examine. The only problem here in my area is that the XJ's just aren't very plentiful. I'm having to travel a ways around just to look at potential buys. That worries me a little in case the SHTF and I was forced to scrounge for parts, but I may just have to set up my own little XJ salvage yard in the back forty lol.
Glad to be here, and looking forward to talking with ya'll.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 06:56 PM
Where are you Kelsey XJs are very plentiful

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm in Jasper, Alabama, about 50 miles northwest of Birmingham. Most of the ones I see around here are 2WD. There are a LOT of Grand Cherokees, but I prefer the smaller size of the XJ for getting in tight fire lanes and old logging roads.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 07:10 PM
Keep looking. Thee are plenty down there. Once you get one, many of the parts interchange with the Grand.

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:16 PM
I'm sure there are. They're just not very visible, but I'll admit I haven't been able to take a lot of time to go searching the back roads lately.
Fortunately, the few I've seen on Craigslist and elsewhere seem to be fairly cheap to buy. Pretty fair condition XJ's hover around $800, and I figure once I get aggressive, I can find some cheaper than that. I know a lot of offroaders through the auto parts store I work in.
I don't care about good paint, but I'd like to get a pretty straight body. I'm going to camo paint it, and it's going to be military grade spartan inside, so my requirements are pretty loose on the pretty stuff.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Just going for practicality then :D

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:27 PM
Survivability.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 07:29 PM
I hear ya. But don't forget you can have the best of both in an XJ. Just a suggestion, since these are unibody vehicles, keep the head liner and carpets. They cut down on the noise and heat in the summer and cold in the winter

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:29 PM
The only concession to luxury I might make is a sunroof...factory installed firing port.;)

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 07:31 PM
And source of factory leaks :D

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:35 PM
I've got a good source for dynamat through my store, if it comes to that. This will be a purpose-built vehicle for surviving an apocalypse, and the reality of that is that I live in what's called "Dixie Alley" here. Like "Tornado Alley" out in Texas. We get killer twisters every year, so it doesn't take a horde of zombies here to require a Get Out Of Dodge vehicle. We've even had a couple hurricanes make it all the way up here from the Gulf in the last 15 years, and a couple three-or-more-day blizzards since 1993. That year was a great one, BTW.
I live on 40 acres of family property bought back in the '40's, so I've got myself, my wife, my son, my mom and dad (across the hollow from me), and a 95 year old grandmother to consider moving if a monster storm comes up.
We ain't worried about shag carpet lol.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 07:39 PM
I see what yo mean. I live in sunny Cali, home of record breaking rain this month :D

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 07:41 PM
God yes, we had a gulley washer yesterday. Had Christmas with my daughter at her place last night and it took us twice as long to get there and then felt like drowned rats by the time we got in the door lol.

4.3LXJ
12-24-2014, 08:01 PM
We don't get that much here. We are only partially drowned

Tinkicker
12-24-2014, 08:34 PM
Lol

XJ Wheeler
12-26-2014, 05:11 AM
Welcome to the site. I like the idea. Been trying to think of ways to make mine more adaptable. Long way to go but gotta start somewhere right! Good luck in the search.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.