PDA

View Full Version : Just did the 220,000 Xmas Eve day oil change.

dagod16
12-24-2014, 12:40 PM
We always used about a quarter of a quart of marvel mystery oil and 10w 30 pennzoil, with the fram oil filter with grip tape.
My son who is 12 and i did it together, which i enjoy teaching him.

300,000 miles here we come.
Original engine and tranny.

98FloridaXJ
12-28-2014, 08:04 AM
My six year old son moans and groans sometimes when dad is working on his jeep once again but he enjoys helping dad in the garage.

4.3LXJ
12-28-2014, 11:24 AM
My six year old son moans and groans sometimes when dad is working on his jeep once again but he enjoys helping dad in the garage.

Mine still enjoy too. Guess what we are doing today, only on his toys

dagod16
12-29-2014, 09:56 PM
Well eventually when they get to like 12 or 13 they will want to help more. I had to force mine out into the garage and awesome from that stupid xbox. I finally told him if he doesn't help me and work on the jeep then he can go live with his mom and drive the car she gives you!!!!! Of course his mom (were divorced), his mom doesn't have xbox, a jeep, go carts, guns, giant flat panel tv, tree house, and or a camper and fun!! He doesn't want that.

But now he is almost 13 and he gets upset when I do things without him. I'm glad he gets mad because I want he to be able to fix stuff and not call the stealership instantly!!

98FloridaXJ
12-30-2014, 04:49 PM
My son loves to help as long as his attention span allows him to (darn six year olds) and loves going on the trails with me and my "jeep buddies".

dagod16
12-31-2014, 02:53 AM
Thats awesome. Let him drive when u are out in a nice clear spot, something safe, he will love it. Teach him to start it and warm it up. My two kids fight over who starts it each morning.

98FloridaXJ
12-31-2014, 08:55 AM
He currently gets paid off in candy for helping dad wrench and gets to ride in the front passenger seat (in his booster seat) when we are out on the trails. He calls it our jeep and prefers to ride in it over mom's SUV.

dagod16
01-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Well when he turns 16 it will be his jeep.

Today my son and I took out the air box and will replace it with a open air intake. I'm doing this to provide more room underneath and next too for the dixie air horns. It will be fun. My son helps because all these upgrades will be his in the near future. near meaning 3 years.

98FloridaXJ
01-04-2015, 10:38 AM
Yeah my wife has been contemplating getting a Wrangler which would eventually become mine. I told her if she gets a four door when I take it over the first thing I'm doing is putting a JK8 kit on it and bigger tires.

4.3LXJ
01-04-2015, 10:46 AM
That all sounds like money

98FloridaXJ
01-04-2015, 11:35 AM
Isn't that what keeps are good for? Making you happy while draining the bank account:banghead:

bluedragon436
01-04-2015, 02:06 PM
Isn't that what keeps are good for? Making you happy while draining the bank account:banghead:

That's what I thought the deal was... Heck my 97 I just picked up is def staying true to the J.E.E.P. name!!! And not even fully with things that I want to upgrade and spend the money on!!

dagod16
01-05-2015, 06:29 AM
Actually a big concern of mine is this.......

I upgrade my xj and add the front brush guard,
the 8.25 rear end,
the dixie horns,
maybe new brake calibers in e next yr or two.

Then it dies on me right before my son gets it. With 22K on it that can happen to me. But I drive her pretty easy. I don't gun her down the street for the hell of it. I don't slam it into drive or reverse while moving slightly. I take good car of her. My kids call it the big green monster.

Brasscatz
01-05-2015, 07:06 PM
There's really no way to know if it'll last until 400k miles. But, by taking care of it the way you do you increase your chances exponentially. Think of it like a human body: Some people drink a ton and smoke like chimneys and live until 100.... others are perfect with their diet, exercise regularly, the quint essential health nut and die young of a heart attack. You just never know, but chances are great that your jeep will last a long time.