PDA

View Full Version : Pump whining

packmule1911
12-17-2014, 07:19 PM
I think the PS pump is unhappy.

My 15 year old mysteriously showed up to hang out with me. Welcomed, but unusual these days. So we bonded while replacing the high pressure line what was leaking and making a mess. What a pain.

The pump is whining worse now. RPM's a 700, in gear, winds up when accelerating. The whining is not that audible when in Park and idling. I lost a good bit of fluid during the job, but the proper level was restored and the system bled. Currently the fluid looks rusty and has little bits of "glitter" floating in it.

I hate whining pumps almost as much as weird unidentifiable popping noises.

Thoughts? Thanks.

Is there a screen to clean out, or a filter to change? Te for a new pump.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2014, 07:42 PM
The metal is not a good sign. You probably need a new pump

nickyg
12-18-2014, 09:07 AM
My pump whines too. for about 2 yeas now. I'd like to do the durango steering box upgrade I figured I'd replace it then. Plus I have 2 teenage girls. so I'm use to whining.

packmule1911
12-18-2014, 06:49 PM
I hear you. Got my fair share of whining here too.

bluedragon436
12-20-2014, 12:14 AM
I've heard something about swapping a 4.7L pump over gives you better steering performance, especially when coupled with the Durango gearbox.. Haven't looked into it enough just yet, to see if it is a one for one swap, but might be an option to snag out of the JY or even from parts store if it comes down to you having to replace yours anyways... Might as well upgrade it while you're at it...

4.3LXJ
12-20-2014, 12:16 AM
I checked on that. The 4.7L pump has the same output and pressure as the 4.0L pump. The Durango V8 box though is an upgrade

bluedragon436
12-20-2014, 12:30 AM
Hmmm, doesn't surprise me that there was wrong info on that one... that is why I was going to do more research before really getting into finding those parts.. I just got to make sure I get the proper Durango box since my current box is leaking a bit...

nickyg
12-20-2014, 07:59 AM
I just got to make sure I get the proper Durango box.

I didn't know there was difference. Has anyone out there who done this have a part # or any other information?

packmule1911
01-26-2015, 09:45 AM
I plan to get a pump today (simple direct replacement). I don't really want to hassle with swapping the reservoir, but it will save some money if I do. Any gotcha's with doing that i.e. o-rings, seals, etc.?

Thanks.

denverd1
01-26-2015, 10:16 AM
no, it should be straight forward. the high pressure line on my pump wouldn't loosen right away, so I had to get creative on getting it off the pump.

durango box: from a v8 4x4 truck.

packmule1911
01-28-2015, 10:27 AM
The pump with the reservoir was $8 more, but $6 less core charge. I just went with the reservoir attached already. Lazy perhaps, but I don't care. I need a break everyone once in a while.

prcjeep
01-28-2015, 11:09 AM
My pump has whined and leaked for about 2 years, if i had power steering it was only at random times, i put two bottles of lucas power steering fluid sealer stuff in it and have not seen a single drip from it and power steering again now 100% of the time.

packmule1911
01-29-2015, 09:40 AM
Done, and I don't ever want to do that again. The mounting bolts are a bitch to get in and out, the Hayes pictures and instructions aren't all that accurate. It's still a light whinier than I think it should be, but I guess it's better.

I installed a filter in the return line, at least temporarily to get any residual crud filtered out.

packmule1911
01-30-2015, 02:28 PM
Not done. This pump is just as bad as the other one, albeit a little different pitch. It's the worst when accelerating and turning. Not noisy at rest, but as soon as you ask it to do it's job, not cool. I don't really know they are supposed to sound like. Our Dodge minivan sounded pretty bad, but they upgraded the reservoir and that sound stopped as soon as I put in a new one.

I guess I'll get a new return line and take the filter out. I replaced the leaking high pressure line last month or so. No more leak. The fittings don't really screw in all that far, which I find odd.

Lastly, what I though were tiny metal flakes are actually tiny bubbles. If I suction out some fluid and let it sit, the bubbles pop and fluid is no longer cloudy. I'm sucking air it seems. I've bled as best I can understand the procedure. I was not able to evacuate all of the old fluid. I put in clear and it comes out brown/burgundy colored.

What fun. Help please? I can't fight this much more, and I can't afford to take it somewhere to have professionals fix it.

Brasscatz
02-01-2015, 09:17 AM
I honestly don't have much experience or knowledge with them, but is it possible that one of the lines is clogged preventing the fluid from getting back into the pump thus causing whining?

4.3LXJ
02-01-2015, 09:50 AM
What kind of oil are you using?

OldFaurt
02-01-2015, 11:28 AM
Not done. This pump is just as bad as the other one, albeit a little different pitch. It's the worst when accelerating and turning. Not noisy at rest, but as soon as you ask it to do it's job, not cool. I don't really know they are supposed to sound like. Our Dodge minivan sounded pretty bad, but they upgraded the reservoir and that sound stopped as soon as I put in a new one.

I guess I'll get a new return line and take the filter out. I replaced the leaking high pressure line last month or so. No more leak. The fittings don't really screw in all that far, which I find odd.

Lastly, what I though were tiny metal flakes are actually tiny bubbles. If I suction out some fluid and let it sit, the bubbles pop and fluid is no longer cloudy. I'm sucking air it seems. I've bled as best I can understand the procedure. I was not able to evacuate all of the old fluid. I put in clear and it comes out brown/burgundy colored.

What fun. Help please? I can't fight this much more, and I can't afford to take it somewhere to have professionals fix it.
I think your right about the return line! as it pulls hydraulic fluid into the pump, it could pull air if there was a defect in the line. Would definitely cause bubbles in the fluid in the reservoir!

packmule1911
02-02-2015, 12:16 AM
Put in a new return line, and a new o-ring on the fitting at the steering box. It didn't sound any better after I did it, but it was starting too today.

I'll keep flushing out fluid for a while. I think the reddish brown fluid could indicate someone previously using ATF in it, which the manual says is not to be done.

Thankfully, it doesn't look like I have to replace a bad "new" pump.

packmule1911
02-02-2015, 12:17 AM
What kind of oil are you using?

Car Quest oil right now. It's Chrysler approved, or says so on the bottle anyway.

4.3LXJ
02-02-2015, 10:17 AM
I use some generic power steering oil. It is a little thicker and reduces whining

sidewaysstarion
02-03-2015, 04:55 PM
I checked on that. The 4.7L pump has the same output and pressure as the 4.0L pump. The Durango V8 box though is an upgrade

The 02-04 WJ 4.7l w/ a hydraulic cooling fan are a physically larger pump that will displace more fluid, giving you better power steering pressure at lower rpms. Also stay away from big box store rebuilt pumps, I went through 3 of them before I gave up and bought a used one on ebay. But also one thing to consider when you have a larger pump displacing more fluid it's also going to generate more heat, so if you do decide to upgrade to a WJ pump make sure you install a cooler to help keep things cool.

As for the OP's issue sounds like a power steering flush is in order with some good clean power steering fluid, our power steering systems really don't like ATF.

packmule1911
02-10-2015, 04:32 PM
As for the OP's issue sounds like a power steering flush is in order with some good clean power steering fluid, our power steering systems really don't like ATF.

I've been flushing, and using new fluid. I've never put any ATF in, but the color indicates someone may have. I put in new lines as well, so the remaining color would have come from residue in the box.

Pretty discouraging. It's not a "hard" job, but I'd rather do many other things than replace it again.

packmule1911
03-18-2015, 03:04 PM
Starting to whine more again, and I've noticed a small droplet sized leak from the pump housing.

One of the responses here said to start away from big box rebuilt pumps. I'm fine with used, but do not want to put on a used pump only to find out it's bad too. The boutique pumps for several hundred bucks look great, but I'm not spending that much.

Is there a better pump, with the same physical dimensions as stock, that I can drop in and be done with this problem?

sbspence
03-20-2015, 03:12 PM
Are there new OEM pumps still available? Mine is groaning on occasion in low speed parking lot maneuvers so I'm watching this thread. 😎

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

packmule1911
04-02-2015, 08:20 AM
I think I'll be getting another reman pump, since this one is under warranty, and see if it fixes it this time.

In the meantime, I was advised by a trusted mechanic friend to drain out 3oz of the fluid and add in 3oz of 10w30 motor oil, and run it for 250 miles, then flush. He said that they've had good experience with that.

Follow-up questions are still outstanding, like why flush if the 10w30 "additive" helps. I'm going to give it a try for the experiment of it while I'm waiting for next weekend to come for the pump swap.

What do you all think of this technique?

4.3LXJ
04-02-2015, 10:23 AM
The only thing I would watch with that is to make sure the motor oil doesn't cause it to foam. But as far as more viscous oil goes, agricultural machinery uses heavier oil in their hydraulics. You might skip the engine oil and get a little bit if tractor hydraulic fluid if you can find a quart at a place like Tractor Supply

packmule1911
04-02-2015, 12:33 PM
Follow-up answers are that the oil coats the bearings and makes the tolerances better. Evidently reman pumps aren't have wider tolerances because of wear and this makes it better.

Long-term, the oil will break down seals, which is why he said only run it for 250 miles with oil in it and then flush.

I guess the oil coated parts stay coated through the flushing process.

packmule1911
04-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Decided to warranty the current Autozone pump first. If the new one works no better, then I'll buy a junkyard model, return the second Autozone version, and file the motor oil trick away for future use if need be.