PDA

View Full Version : What's so special ?

Philxj4L
12-17-2014, 04:59 AM
Ok guys, after seeing different threads, I have to ask.
This is in no way a criticism, or an attempt to run a company down. What is so special with Ridgid Insustries bars ? And where exactly do they get the huge price tags ?
I'm asking as I genuinly can't see it ! I spent a lot of months researching LEDs, quality and light output, but still can't get it. Do ridgid buy in chips or do they produce their own ?
I fully understand wanting to support US companies and the home economy, THE world market leaders in LED technology are a U.S. company. (Cree)
All the LEDs I use are Cree, build quality is superb, the latest bar is now at IP68, light output is obscene, and the prices make ridgid prices seem like a joke. Honestly, folk in the UK laugh at ridgid prices, I don't know a single one that could afford those prices, never mind choose pay that amount. To give an idea, I got a 40" single row Cree for £120 LESS that a 10" ridgid that was for sale on eBay ! I've looked at rigids, and I can't see any difference in quality, and I'd be pretty confident ridgids would'nt put out more light than Cree.
So come on guys, what's ridgids secret ? What makes them hundreds of $$$ more than the world leaders in this field ?

XJ Wheeler
12-17-2014, 06:03 AM
I agree completely. I don't see it either. I believe they were one of the first companies to come out with the lightbars though so i imagine the price tag mirrored the exclusivity and excitement of this new and exciting technology and they just never went down to be competitive. Just a guess on that last notion.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Brasscatz
12-17-2014, 06:37 AM
I don't have an LED bar, so I can't comment on that, but I've been to the UK twice and had to remind myself of the exchange rate constantly. Those £10.95 fish and chips are really like $15.95 for me.... but very worth it! But I do like your tax system. When you buy something there, the price is what you pay and there's no tax added at the register.

Philxj4L
12-17-2014, 06:49 AM
Know what you mean about the tax thing, when I was in California around 10 years back I was constantly tryin to remember to add the extra on to the ticket price.
Rigid prices go even higher in the UK once the duties & taxes are added, but they are still damned high before all that. Comparing Cree & rigid on US seller to US seller the price difference is still huge.
I asked this as I thought there was something I was missing that would explain the difference on price. :)

Brasscatz
12-17-2014, 07:29 AM
I haven't done the research myself, but have always heard Cree is the best. Maybe there's a psychological factor where people equate more money = better. Or could simply be that they themselves think that it's better. No clue

abebehrmann
12-17-2014, 08:21 AM
I have no experience with LED light bars but I think it's all name recognition and economics. Sort of like how lots of people will purchase the name brand drug even though the generic is the exact same thing. They think that if it costs a whole lot less it must not be as good even though what you're really paying for is the name and advertising that goes along with it. Rigid sure sells a lot of lights for the prices they are charging for them, they would have to be crazy to sell them for cheaper when they're flying off the shelves as it is. My gf was an economics major and often reminds me an item is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Mudderoy
12-17-2014, 08:31 AM
I'll start with "I don't know" but I'll remind you guys a a little brand name "Monster Cables" They were selling HDMI 6 foot cables for $100(?) Audio cables for similar rates?!?!?!

Sometimes people spend the money because they believe to get the best you have to pay the most. BULLSHIT! To get the best you need to research your product then make an educated choice.

I'm lazy too, so instead of researching the $1500 40" LED light bars I just gambled on a $250 44" LED light bar.

Would I ever spend $1500 on a LED light bar? HELLS NO! So that means Ridged didn't lose a customer.

If you spend $60k for a Rubi chances are good you'll spend $1500 for a LED light bar.

Ok guys, after seeing different threads, I have to ask.
This is in no way a criticism, or an attempt to run a company down. What is so special with Ridgid Insustries bars ? And where exactly do they get the huge price tags ?
I'm asking as I genuinly can't see it ! I spent a lot of months researching LEDs, quality and light output, but still can't get it. Do ridgid buy in chips or do they produce their own ?
I fully understand wanting to support US companies and the home economy, THE world market leaders in LED technology are a U.S. company. (Cree)
All the LEDs I use are Cree, build quality is superb, the latest bar is now at IP68, light output is obscene, and the prices make ridgid prices seem like a joke. Honestly, folk in the UK laugh at ridgid prices, I don't know a single one that could afford those prices, never mind choose pay that amount. To give an idea, I got a 40" single row Cree for £120 LESS that a 10" ridgid that was for sale on eBay ! I've looked at rigids, and I can't see any difference in quality, and I'd be pretty confident ridgids would'nt put out more light than Cree.
So come on guys, what's ridgids secret ? What makes them hundreds of $$$ more than the world leaders in this field ?

nickyg
12-17-2014, 09:13 AM
It's simple. They charge that much because some nut job somewhere is willing to pay that price. When people stop buying them they will have to come down on price or close up shop. Now if you excuse me I think the delivery truck is here with my Ridgid Insustries lights. Just kidding it's the pizza guy.

Mudderoy
12-17-2014, 10:26 AM
It's simple. They charge that much because some nut job somewhere is willing to pay that price. When people stop buying them they will have to come down on price or close up shop. Now if you excuse me I think the delivery truck is here with my Ridgid Insustries lights. Just kidding it's the pizza guy.

proportionally speaking, I think pizza is over priced by the same amount.

4.3LXJ
12-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Just my 2 cents. They were the first to market an LED bar of any significant size. They charged a lot for it and made a name for themselves. Now, as long as somebody is fool enough to not shop around, then that is what they get. They can make the same on one bar for a grand as somebody charging a hundred selling ten of them.