PDA

View Full Version : Pre-XJ build list, suggestions?

XJMikey
12-15-2014, 12:21 AM
Well, I tried taking meds (pills, creams, patches, injections, enemas...), seeing therapists (I still have issues), acupuncture (it's fun, 'til you roll over), hypnosis (staring at strippers spinning around, counts, right?), and not eating cold turkey (not sure how it helps smokers...). None of this has helped. :sad0147: So I'm on the hunt for another XJ. I'm smarter about what to look for, and what's a scam now (learned the hard way), so it's going to be a while. In the mean time, I've started a build list based off of what I learned with my previous XJ, and what type of wheeling I enjoyed the most (primarily long, mild trails). So far this is what I've come up with, and I think I have all my bases covered?

Armor:
- Riddler or Solid diff covers
- Weld-on LCA skids
- RC LA crossmember + t-case skid
- Tomken gas tank skid (meets my protection needs)
- Tomken 2x2 rocker guards (might do JCR ultimate sliders)

Axles:
- Lokka lockers
- Motive 4.56 gears
- Alloy tube seals

Lighting (I have poor night vision, so I'm going big here):
- 4300K HID conversion w/ projector housings
- Rigid Industries 10" E2 combo bar (front bumper)
- Rigid Industries D2 driving pods (upper a pillar)
- Rigid Industries SR-Q flush mount backup kit (rear bumper)
- Complete LED bulb conversion

Recovery (if I don't do full bumpers):
- DetoursUSA backbone + tailbone
- 9.5k Winch
OR
- IRO front tow hook bracket w/ d-rings
- Hidden Hitch C3 receiver + T harness
- Receiver d-ring
- Hilift w/ necessary accessories
- (2) 2"x30' straps

Steering
- Moog ZJ tierod
- C-Rok steering box inner OR inner&outer brace (pending front-end recovery choice)

Suspension:
- RC 4.5" LA Lift
-- 3" leaf packs
-- Shackle relocation brackets
-- N2.0 shocks
-- Bar pin eliminators
- Proper length bumpstops

T-Case
- Teraflex 2low
- Rugged Ridge SYE
- XJ front drive-shaft

Tires
- Mastercraft MXT 32x11.5R15 (no fender cutting this time)

Wheels
- Black Rock Lobo 15x8 4"BS

Other:
- CB Radio
- Stereo upgrade
- Seat bracket lowering mod (I'm too tall for stock position)

I take my second CDL Class-A road test on the 22nd, so hopefully I pass and this will start come early-mid summer (got a lot of searching to do).

Philxj4L
12-15-2014, 04:50 AM
That's a comprehensive list. :) if I could suggest one thing, spend a few hours on eBay. Look for Cree LED bars, they are THE market leaders in LED technology, a U.S. company, and the quality is top notch. You'll save a very heathy wedge of $$$ over rigids. All my LEDs are Cree, and have been faultless since purchase, and throw out obscene amounts of light.

XJMikey
12-15-2014, 11:00 AM
That's a comprehensive list. :) if I could suggest one thing, spend a few hours on eBay. Look for Cree LED bars, they are THE market leaders in LED technology, a U.S. company, and the quality is top notch. You'll save a very heathy wedge of $$$ over rigids. All my LEDs are Cree, and have been faultless since purchase, and throw out obscene amounts of light.

Ill check 'em out. My main build goal is to keep everything bolt on, so when the rust becomes unmanageable (thanks NY), I can buy another west coast or down south XJ, and swap everything over.

XJ Wheeler
12-15-2014, 03:08 PM
Looks good to me. Very well thought out list.

X2 on going with different lightbars. I just can't see paying the prices rigid wants when you can get good bars for a fraction of the price. Example, rigid wants $1500 for their 50". I got one off amazon for $160 and they're even cheaper now. I am sure the rigid is better, brighter, and will last longer but i don't see it being $1340 better and i can buy 13 more of these bars before i get to the price of one of the rigids. I do try to stick with an American seller, although i would bet they all are primarily Chinese made anyway. But i can understand if you want the better quality. I'm just the kind of guy that buys Craftsman and when it breaks i'll buy another over the extreme price of say snapon.

Also, i have to say my experience with the Riddler diff covers. I loved the look of the crane covers and i don't know if they're related or what but Riddler has the same design at a cheaper cost so i got them (as a gift by request). They are cast. The Dana 30 cover i received had a bit too much air in the casting. I probably should have contacted Riddler but never did. I see it as a weak spot but it may very well never cause a problem. Just figured i'd give you fair warning. Also, the fill plug is bare steel so it rusts pretty quickly.

Congrats on the CDL too!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
12-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Look up LAMPHUS CRUIZER on Amazon, they got pretty good pricing, and from what I've found online good products and customer service... There are a couple of their bars on there and they also have the bar covers like Tony posted running on his bars.. If you look @ Online Led Store (http://www.online-led-store.com/led-light-bars-off-road-vehicles-equipment), they have all of the Lamphus Cruizer lights, and @ great pricing.. I'm looking at picking up some lights from them during my build, or MRL Lighting (http://mrllighting.com)..

abebehrmann
12-16-2014, 12:29 PM
Sounds good to me! I would be happy as a clam with half of the items listed! Keep us posted on how the build ends up and what changes you make to the list and why.

XJMikey
12-16-2014, 05:00 PM
Looks good to me. Very well thought out list.

X2 on going with different lightbars. I just can't see paying the prices rigid wants when you can get good bars for a fraction of the price. Example, rigid wants $1500 for their 50". I got one off amazon for $160 and they're even cheaper now. I am sure the rigid is better, brighter, and will last longer but i don't see it being $1340 better and i can buy 13 more of these bars before i get to the price of one of the rigids. I do try to stick with an American seller, although i would bet they all are primarily Chinese made anyway. But i can understand if you want the better quality. I'm just the kind of guy that buys Craftsman and when it breaks i'll buy another over the extreme price of say snapon.

Also, i have to say my experience with the Riddler diff covers. I loved the look of the crane covers and i don't know if they're related or what but Riddler has the same design at a cheaper cost so i got them (as a gift by request). They are cast. The Dana 30 cover i received had a bit too much air in the casting. I probably should have contacted Riddler but never did. I see it as a weak spot but it may very well never cause a problem. Just figured i'd give you fair warning. Also, the fill plug is bare steel so it rusts pretty quickly.

Congrats on the CDL too!

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

I'm gonna get cheaper bars and pods for the XJ.. I'm ok with spending the $1100 for Rigid products on my Ram, but with the intended use the XJ will see, $400-$500 should get me some decent, bright leds.

I'm not going to get the solid covers. I like how the Riddler have a smooth surface. I can see the solid diffs getting hung up on rocks and logs.

Thanks. Can't wait to be driving 13,000gals of fuel around. :bacondance:

Look up LAMPHUS CRUIZER on Amazon, they got pretty good pricing, and from what I've found online good products and customer service... There are a couple of their bars on there and they also have the bar covers like Tony posted running on his bars.. If you look @ Online Led Store (http://www.online-led-store.com/led-light-bars-off-road-vehicles-equipment), they have all of the Lamphus Cruizer lights, and @ great pricing.. I'm looking at picking up some lights from them during my build, or MRL Lighting (http://mrllighting.com)..

Gonna check 'em out tonight.

Sounds good to me! I would be happy as a clam with half of the items listed! Keep us posted on how the build ends up and what changes you make to the list and why.

Aside from recovery and lighting, the rest is going to stay as is (hopefully). After installing the custom 3.25" lift (thanks for the coils, they rode insanely smooth), and wheeling my ex-XJ. I learned exactly what type of wheeling I liked, and what add-ons would really be needed to completely be satisfied with a my jeep.

====

I'm still debating whether to get the Detour backbone and tailbone, or stick with IRO tow mount w/ d-rings+mounts and receiver w/ d-ring+mount. I've never needed a winch offroad (always could get out, even with open diffs), and I don't mind keeping the spare in the cargo area with tools. The pull points really would be mostly used to help others out.

I've located a couple clean '97+ Sports, and hopefully the right one will be available by the time I'm ready to buy.

bluedragon436
12-16-2014, 07:08 PM
I'm gonna get cheaper bars and pods for the XJ.. I'm ok with spending the $1100 for Rigid products on my Ram, but with the intended use the XJ will see, $400-$500 should get me some decent, bright leds.

Yeah I was going to run either Rigid or another option on my Ram (was only going to add one bar to the lower valance of it, nothing crazy..) but I think I'll pick up the light bar bracket and will probably pick up the bar from Lamphus as well..

I'm not going to get the solid covers. I like how the Riddler have a smooth surface. I can see the solid diffs getting hung up on rocks and logs.

Check out UnderCover Fab (http://www.undercoverfab.com/15-complete-covers).. They have covers for the D30 as well as the 8.25 and man other axles... Pricing is pretty fair ad decent as well..

Gonna check 'em out tonight.

Me too.. about to order some lights for the XJ as well as the Ram.. Not going to order all the lights I plan on going with.. just want to order the bar for the Ram and am still trying to debate if I'm picking up a bar or cubes for the XJ just yet..

Aside from recovery and lighting, the rest is going to stay as is (hopefully). After installing the custom 3.25" lift (thanks for the coils, they rode insanely smooth), and wheeling my ex-XJ. I learned exactly what type of wheeling I liked, and what add-ons would really be needed to completely be satisfied with a my jeep.

No point in changing what you know works for you and for what you want.. Look forward to seeing the "new" XJ when you find the one you want..

XJMikey
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Yeah I was going to run either Rigid or another option on my Ram (was only going to add one bar to the lower valance of it, nothing crazy..) but I think I'll pick up the light bar bracket and will probably pick up the bar from Lamphus as well..

I'm going to hold off on the 10" E2 Rigid bar until I see how my HID conversion does. If the light output and coverage meets my wants, then I'm just going to mount a pair of D2 driving pods on the tow mirror arms for back road driving. I'm definitely getting the Rigid SR-Q backup light. Given their size, they're the best performing flushing mounting units I've seen.

I'm gonna get Tuff Stuff led bars. I've seen a couple threads on them, with night time pics, and they look to be insanely bright for their price. Just trying to figure out if a Rigid 20" bar mount will hold a TS 22" bar. It'd be nice to have the cradle style mount, instead of L bars at each end.

Check out UnderCover Fab (http://www.undercoverfab.com/15-complete-covers).. They have covers for the D30 as well as the 8.25 and man other axles... Pricing is pretty fair ad decent as well..

I thought they dropped the C8.25" cover? :confused: I've always wanted their covers, but I couldnt' get a matching set, which sucked. Looks like I'll be going with UCF. Gonna love me some built in drain plugs. :D.

Me too.. about to order some lights for the XJ as well as the Ram.. Not going to order all the lights I plan on going with.. just want to order the bar for the Ram and am still trying to debate if I'm picking up a bar or cubes for the XJ just yet..

Depending on the location, I'd go with pods. They're easily mounted and moved anywhere.

No point in changing what you know works for you and for what you want.. Look forward to seeing the "new" XJ when you find the one you want..

Thanks. I'll start a real build thread for this one. I had one somewhere for my previous XJ, but not a clue where it went.

rabies
12-17-2014, 12:45 PM
well. you have a good list. depends one what your going for,
hopefully one day i can afford that stuff. but for now my list was as to make a mobile shop, rescue vehicle
roof rack
med kit
extra gas.
power inverter.
air tank
tool kit
water storage
cold weather and wet weather gear.

stuff incase people break down i can help them or disaster i would have something to help some1. ...not really anythign to do with 4x4. but one day il get to long arms and lockers :(

4.3LXJ
12-17-2014, 01:15 PM
Hey Jesse, we just take it as it comes. Not very many people have unlimited budgets

rabies
12-17-2014, 01:58 PM
lol on expoportal it seems like they do. $200k jeep in africa smiling and riding chetahs :D

XJMikey
12-17-2014, 06:34 PM
well. you have a good list. depends one what your going for,
hopefully one day i can afford that stuff. but for now my list was as to make a mobile shop, rescue vehicle
roof rack
med kit
extra gas.
power inverter.
air tank
tool kit
water storage
cold weather and wet weather gear.

stuff incase people break down i can help them or disaster i would have something to help some1. ...not really anythign to do with 4x4. but one day il get to long arms and lockers :(

After my $50k lawsuit last winter, I only help those that are willing to let me video record them agreeing they take full responsibility for anything that could happen.

Hey Jesse, we just take it as it comes. Not very many people have unlimited budgets

But it only we did. DPG 2.5" OME lift with portals and 40's :bacondance:

lol on expoportal it seems like they do. $200k jeep in africa smiling and riding chetahs :D

Might as well buy one of those 6x6 G Wagons.

bluedragon436
12-17-2014, 07:13 PM
I thought they dropped the C8.25" cover? :confused: I've always wanted their covers, but I couldnt' get a matching set, which sucked. Looks like I'll be going with UCF. Gonna love me some built in drain plugs. :D.

I've been looking at picking up their covers for a while now... Was going to get a set for my 98, and the 8.25's did disappear for a bit, but they are back on there now, so I assume they are offering them again... I hope they are that is for sure.. I'm going to contact them and see for sure... if so I'd like to pick up a set for the 97... I am the same way as you, wanting a matching set of covers... I know it doesn't really matter in the end... but it's just me..

XJMikey
12-17-2014, 07:27 PM
I've been looking at picking up their covers for a while now... Was going to get a set for my 98, and the 8.25's did disappear for a bit, but they are back on there now, so I assume they are offering them again... I hope they are that is for sure.. I'm going to contact them and see for sure... if so I'd like to pick up a set for the 97... I am the same way as you, wanting a matching set of covers... I know it doesn't really matter in the end... but it's just me..

It matters with features like the surface, mounting bolts, fill/drain holes, and some having increased fluid capacity.

bluedragon436
12-18-2014, 12:28 PM

I contacted UCF today, and they said they still produce the 8.25 covers, and have never stopped producing them since they started.. He said he doesn't know why anyone would think that they had.. and that he has heard similar before.. Just wanted to shoot that info to you and let you know they do still offer it, so you can order that matching set of covers you want.. I'm about to put mine on order in just a few minutes... Figure if nothing else I'll have more parts collecting up for install when I get a chance to get this stuff on.. especially if I can get it all done in one weekend at one time...

XJMikey
12-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I contacted UCF today, and they said they still produce the 8.25 covers, and have never stopped producing them since they started.. He said he doesn't know why anyone would think that they had.. and that he has heard similar before.. Just wanted to shoot that info to you and let you know they do still offer it, so you can order that matching set of covers you want.. I'm about to put mine on order in just a few minutes... Figure if nothing else I'll have more parts collecting up for install when I get a chance to get this stuff on.. especially if I can get it all done in one weekend at one time...

It never hurt to have a stock pile of mods to install. :D

bluedragon436
12-18-2014, 08:46 PM
It never hurt to have a stock pile of mods to install. :D

Yeah I'm def working on a nice sized stock pile of mods that'll be waiting for an install day... Got to get the springs and coils on order, and I should have all needed parts for a full suspension revamp, minus a few bolts that I might have to pick up or order when I get to the install point.. All of it will be a full new suspension setup except for the LA's and the steering parts... Can't wait to have that mud better and smoother riding suspension too.. Will be doing the headlight upgrade once I get her through inspection... Can't wait to see your parts collection as it begins to grow!!

jdsilvaca
12-19-2014, 10:52 AM
Cool. If I had to start all over, I would buy a 98 or 99 XJ only. I currently have a 97, and there are some funking factory wiring glitches in the 97's. I would build my axles first, then body armor, bumpers, winch, and do the lift kit last, IF I was starting all over. Good luck to you.

bluedragon436
12-19-2014, 03:53 PM
Cool. If I had to start all over, I would buy a 98 or 99 XJ only. I currently have a 97, and there are some funking factory wiring glitches in the 97's. I would build my axles first, then body armor, bumpers, winch, and do the lift kit last, IF I was starting all over. Good luck to you.

Yeah I miss my old 98... And just after looking at a couple of things in my current 97, if I was to do it all over again I'd def pick up another 98 or a 99.. As of right now though, it looks as if the only thing I'm not going to like about the 97 is the figuring out how to convert over to a 98+ dome light, cause mine still has the older style dome light...

XJMikey
12-19-2014, 11:27 PM
Yeah I'm def working on a nice sized stock pile of mods that'll be waiting for an install day... Got to get the springs and coils on order, and I should have all needed parts for a full suspension revamp, minus a few bolts that I might have to pick up or order when I get to the install point.. All of it will be a full new suspension setup except for the LA's and the steering parts... Can't wait to have that mud better and smoother riding suspension too.. Will be doing the headlight upgrade once I get her through inspection... Can't wait to see your parts collection as it begins to grow!!

I'm gonna start stock piling parts ASAP. If I don't, I won't keep to this simple build. You'll find me hording parts, and working on a buggy with an xj shell. Lol

I'm most likely going to get a '00. There's tons of them at dealerships (prefer buying from a quality dealer), so all first "mods" will be upgrading OEM parts I had problems with in the past (window motors, switches, brakes, fuel, minor heat & a/c). Then it'll go something like: h4 conversion (hids aren't a big want anymore), pull points + recovery gear, armor (including LCA + UDCA skids a& brace), lockers, sye+2low, front driveshaft outback, zj tierod, then lift, wheels & tires, speedogear, cb, and some other needed goodies. Keepin' it simple and capable.

bluedragon436
12-19-2014, 11:36 PM
I'm gonna start stock piling parts ASAP. If I don't, I won't keep to this simple build. You'll find me hording parts, and working on a buggy with an xj shell. Lol

I'm glad I am stock piling parts and picking them up as I find deals, especially with deals that saved me money between free shipping and other good deals with the holidays.. Only thing that stinks about stock piling them, is going crazy seeing these parts and the Jeep sitting in the driveway.. even more so now that the bumper is back in the house and painted up ready to go... Can't wait to get a few more parts to finish up the current parts collection and once the Jeep is registered I'll get going on this installing.. Really can't wait to install the steering and the suspension.. when I'm able to get to that point..

XJMikey
12-27-2014, 07:39 PM
I'm glad I am stock piling parts and picking them up as I find deals, especially with deals that saved me money between free shipping and other good deals with the holidays.. Only thing that stinks about stock piling them, is going crazy seeing these parts and the Jeep sitting in the driveway.. even more so now that the bumper is back in the house and painted up ready to go... Can't wait to get a few more parts to finish up the current parts collection and once the Jeep is registered I'll get going on this installing.. Really can't wait to install the steering and the suspension.. when I'm able to get to that point..

Add a couple cases of PB blaster to you pile, and start using it 2-3weeks before installing parts. Trust me, you'll appreciate the money spent, and time/length of life saved.

bluedragon436
12-27-2014, 08:20 PM
Add a couple cases of PB blaster to you pile, and start using it 2-3weeks before installing parts. Trust me, you'll appreciate the money spent, and time/length of life saved.

Oh yeah, I plan on picking up quite a few cans and start spraying them down a bit early that is for sure... Been cleaning up the used parts and hardware for the long arms and OTK steering so they'll be ready to smoothly install once I get the old stock parts out...