PDA

View Full Version : Short rod stroker?

Pookapotamus
12-13-2014, 05:39 PM
So I have a lot of pieces, and my buddy is gutting a YJ and has offered my the 4.0l out of it for free if i help him pull it, so it would not take much, mainly my time, and I could have a working shirt rod stroker.

Now I have no idea what one would sell for, and it would be nice to get rid of the spare parts that I won't be needing, so I'm considering building this one then selling it, what would one be worth??? What would you pay for a well built one?

My other option would be to start blue printing this one and built it right, the way I want it, to put in Mort, then sell the one out of Mort. What are your opinions????

abebehrmann
12-14-2014, 02:01 PM
I found a 4.7L longblock on Summit for close to $3k. I would think someone would pay $1.5k for one you built if you took lots of progress pics and kept a parts list. Not sure you would be able to get much more than that considering the warranties and return-ability you get from buying from a company like that. Just my relatively uninformed opinion though.

bluedragon436
12-14-2014, 03:58 PM
I'd say if what you got in Mort is what you want and it works right, I wouldn't mess with it any... figure if you are able to build one from the parts you got, might as well build one then pass it on to someone willing to pay for it... People around me sell similarly built stroker motors for $1700-$2000.... Like Abe said, anything more then that, I'd just save up a little bit more and purchase from a company and get the warranty behind it... I'm still searching for crank and rods to build "budget" stroker out of the "spare" engine I picked up a few days back.. figure if I'm going to rebuild and freshen up the engine, might as well stroke it and get some more POWA out of it.. You should def do a progress writeup and listing of what you use when you build it...

Pookapotamus
12-15-2014, 11:01 AM
That's the problem, mort's stroker is not the greatest, really not happy with how it was built and the mistakes that were made, pistons, rings etc...

With this spare 4.0L I would have the parts to build a 4.7L long rod stroker with forged Pistons, and blueprint it the way I want. I'm picky!

At the moment, I'll probably just tuck it away in the shop somewhere, and price out my options, not really in a rush, not like I have the coin to drop into this at the moment anyway.

Also don't really have the specks on mort's stroker any way, it would be nice to have all that.

To many options!

abebehrmann
12-15-2014, 01:47 PM
In that case, I would build that extra motor up just as you want it. Then when it's fully built you could place a few ads for the older stroker and hopefully find a buyer for it before you even pull it out. I know if I were buying a used stroker, I would like to see it running and driving before I shelled out the cash for it.

Pookapotamus
12-18-2014, 09:55 PM
Well the deal fell through, the block was cracked, oh well I'll find another at some point.

4.3LXJ
12-18-2014, 10:10 PM
Oh well, just money anyway right?

Pookapotamus
12-18-2014, 10:21 PM
Exactly!

bluedragon436
12-18-2014, 10:55 PM
Well the deal fell through, the block was cracked, oh well I'll find another at some point.

Where was it cracked at?? Did you find it or machine shop?? Wish I lived closer, then I'd donate you a good engine to build up, and then purchase your current stroker for my 97..

cantab27
12-19-2014, 12:29 AM

Got one

Brasscatz
12-19-2014, 09:17 AM
Too bad you're way up in Canada.... I may have a 4.2 from a YJ up for sale soon. Could make a nice stroker out of that

Pookapotamus
12-19-2014, 03:20 PM
Well if the price is right, I can probably get a deal on shipping through work..... Maybe

Brasscatz
12-19-2014, 07:10 PM
I will let you know if I end up pulling the motor. It runs amazingly well and only has 150k miles on it

bluedragon436
12-19-2014, 07:45 PM
I will let you know if I end up pulling the motor. It runs amazingly well and only has 150k miles on it

Wish I lived closer to you so I could trade the engine that I have as a spare that he could rebuild/stroke & I could pick up an engine with half the mileage my XJ has... But then again I wished I lived closer to Dana, so I could pick me up a stroker engine with far less mileage then my engine has on it..