PDA

View Full Version : Anyone got any advice on rubber?

Dchurchill91
12-12-2014, 12:06 PM
I live in Michigan... I drive 70% pavement but I need new tires. I have wrangler Mr/t with jeep Rubicon wheels... I was curious what tires I should buy that would be good on and off the trail and good in snow. I'm a college kid so I need a general tire that will do me year round. But...I have a hard on for side tread(already on my Mr/it's) but the tires I have are discontinued ... Any advice? 245 70 16

nickyg
12-12-2014, 12:16 PM
You should always use one.. It protects you from STD's and unwanted pregnancy... OH!! not that kind of rubber.
I have Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. $138 at discount tire. I drive 98% on the road with the occasional burning thru a mud pit construction area.

nickyg
12-12-2014, 12:17 PM
You should always use one.. It protects you from STD's and unwanted pregnancy... OH!! not that kind of rubber.
I have Falken Rocky Mountain ATS. $138 at discount tire. I drive 98% on the road with the occasional burning thru a mud pit construction area.

Forgot to say they're 31x10.5

denverd1
12-12-2014, 12:18 PM
don't wear a hole in it

and take your bag with you when you leave. bitches are crazy

abebehrmann
12-12-2014, 12:44 PM
I have 31x10.50.15 BFG T/A KOs that I like a lot and I hear they are awesome in snow. We don't get any of that down here in Florida but I do know they do really well in deep sand. I've also heard really good things about the Goodyear Duratrac's and would have probably bought those if I didn't get the deal I did on my BFGs. They do have a nice looking sidetread and are pretty affordable. My girlfriend on the other hand likes the BFG KM2 and the Goodyear MTR with Kevlar but those wouldn't do so well on road in the winter weather I would guess.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2014, 02:39 PM
Goodyear Duratracs work well too

prerunner1982
12-12-2014, 02:46 PM
anyone got any advice on rubber?

Ribbed. :rolleye0012:

abebehrmann
12-12-2014, 02:49 PM
Ribbed. :rolleye0012:

Is that for your pleasure or the Jeep's?

07Negative
12-12-2014, 03:53 PM
My vote is the Duratrac, especially for your neck of the woods. The BFG AT KO2 just came out. A whole lotta folks like the original BFG AT. I however did not. They last really long and are quiet. But snow traction sucks from my experience. The KMII's are decent, but heavy, loud with 50% remaining, and really expensive.

downsy
12-12-2014, 05:39 PM
I've been really happy with my Treadwrights. :D

XJ Wheeler
12-13-2014, 12:00 AM
Mostly from research I would suggest the BFG All Terrain, Goodyear Duratrac, or the Falken Wild Peak/Rocky Mountain. They are all an all terrain tire that will handle the street well, with a good tread to hit the dirt. The only one of those I have experience with is the BFG. They did great in a long snowstorm and never slipped. We kept going when most were stuck on the hills. However that was on a dually one ton with 6k lbs on the bed.

slvmart
12-13-2014, 05:36 AM
From SW Michigan. Currently I am running 31's Kumho Road Venture AT's and on my F350 I have the Goodyear Wrangler AT Adventure. Both are especially good in snow and ice.

I would suggest you go to the Tire Rack website and check out their AT Tire Survey Results. These are based on owner observations. The Kumho's aren't rate the best but when I bought them I primarily based my decision on cost. I use the XJ primarily as a DD and plowing. And they have handled well so far. But I have to admit the Goodyears are way better.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=ORAT&sortValue=0&showwp=N&showdp=N&showws=N&showcm=N

Perhaps that would give you a less subjective idea as to what to expect.

My son is also looking for AT's for his Silverado. He was interested in the BFG's KO's but I told him to look at the Wranglers, as for a set they are only about $40 more and are rated significantly better, especially in Treadwear, Snow and Ice.

TallGuyJeep
12-13-2014, 10:49 AM
I really like my Goodyear Wrangler Authority tires. I don't have any experience in the snow with them yet, but i've heard great reviews. I do know that they are awesome in the mud, i used them off road for nearly 2 weeks straight on the elk hunt this year and i couldn't get stuck (i tried). They drive quite and smooth on regular roads, and look awesome. Good sidewall tread ;)

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/13/9153d731dd0827d0182b17d15aa0fb68.jpg

They have a very similar tread pattern to duratracs, but are cheaper. I got mine for $140 each. You have to get them from Wal-Mart which scares some people away but keep in mind they are just the seller, Goodyear is the manufacturer.

xjzaped
12-13-2014, 01:13 PM
I had the same MT/Rs the op posted about. Went to LT265/75-16's in a Duratrec. I honestly think they are quieter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dchurchill91
12-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I don't like duratracks because they don't have a uniform tread pattern...the side tread is decent tho...I will look into the tires posted thanks guys and to all you jokesters... I don't use Jimmy's lol

prcjeep
12-23-2014, 10:20 AM
rubber side down is always good :D