PDA

View Full Version : Chrysler 8.25 - gasket, RTV, or both?

packmule1911
12-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Paid a fair sum to have my Dana 30 front end rebuilt today. MUCH better!

The 8.25 on the rear will need some of that same attention at some point, but for now it's just a little noisy, and I'd like to change the fluids in it.

Do you all prefer a pre-made gasket with a little bead of RTV, or do you prefer no gasket material other than a bigger bead on it's own?

4.3LXJ
12-11-2014, 09:31 PM
Rtv should do it unless you want to use a lube locker gasket

packmule1911
12-11-2014, 09:36 PM
Rtv should do it unless you want to use a lube locker gasket

I don't care either way, I just saw some pre-made gasket options and wondered if they were worth the $4 or not.

4.3LXJ
12-11-2014, 09:59 PM
The RTV is cheaper. The lube locker type is more expensive, around $12 I think, but it reusable and good for field service

xjzaped
12-11-2014, 10:59 PM
RTV. Every outing bag I have has an RTV tube in it.

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2014, 03:12 AM
I agree. The cheapness of RTV is just to good to pass up. I actually have a dana 30 gasket I never used because after buying it I actually thought about it couldn't see a reason for using so it set with the rest of my parts I have yet to use.

abebehrmann
12-12-2014, 09:36 AM
I too use RTV but if our Jeep club keeps going on these submarine expeditions I'm going to be investing in a couple lubelockers. RTV is cheap and fairly easy but I hate having to spend so much time scraping it off every time I change my diff fluid.

cantab27
12-12-2014, 12:08 PM
RTV .....I use it cheaper .......

packmule1911
12-12-2014, 11:43 PM
Anybody up this hour?

Got the cover off. Took a while. Whole mess of orange sealer that didn't want to come loose.

New at this, so, three newbie questions I might regret asking:

1. Do I have a limited slip differential based on this picture?

2. The sealant I bought is Permatex Gear Oil RTV Gasket Maker. The packaging said to wait 24 hours before adding the fluid. Is that for real? I can't wait that long. Have to drive kids around tomorrow.

If I do what to wait 24 hours for this stuff, would you folks advise running out for a basic $3.99 gasket and moving on with it?

Thanks!

4.3LXJ
12-12-2014, 11:46 PM
I am up :D

I am sure you don't, but if you rotate it a quarter turn and see some gears, you have an open diff. I have put oil in right away. RTV cures from moisture in the air. Go for it

packmule1911
12-13-2014, 12:11 AM
Yeah, I know it's not a great view. I didn't feel like raising it up to turn it, and thought you folks would know. Thanks!

Open diff it is, and I can return the additive I bought.

The RTV packaging also says to hand tighten, wait an hour, then torque. Is the wait necessary?

4.3LXJ
12-13-2014, 12:30 AM
I never do

XJ Wheeler
12-13-2014, 12:46 AM
I would say yes to waiting an some time for it to cure. It basically lets it dry some so you don't push it all out right away. But I don't think its crucial. I usually take a while getting all the bolts back on and somewhat tight so that takes a bit anyway. So I'd say your good.

Also, just to offer some learnin up! The limited slip carrier is shaped differently than an open carrier. The carrier is the center chunk that rotates with a ring gear bolted to it. The limited slip carrier is more squared off on the right side than the open carrier. Here's a pic to compare the difference. The limited slip is on the right.

packmule1911
12-13-2014, 01:17 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the learnin'.

I moved ahead and started tightening things up before I saw your message. It took a while to get the top most bolt through the tab for the brake line, but it wasn't an hour. Oh well. If it leaks then I'll get to do my second differential fluid change a little sooner than expected. I hope it doesn't leak though. The floor of my garage is pretty damn cold.

XJ Wheeler
12-13-2014, 01:40 AM
Thanks. I appreciate the learnin'.

I moved ahead and started tightening things up before I saw your message. It took a while to get the top most bolt through the tab for the brake line, but it wasn't an hour. Oh well. If it leaks then I'll get to do my second differential fluid change a little sooner than expected. I hope it doesn't leak though. The floor of my garage is pretty damn cold.

It'll be fine like that, i'm sure. Like i said once you get the bolts all in that gives some time already.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

packmule1911
12-17-2014, 01:01 PM
Funny news. JEEP says the XJ should have a limited slip differential based on the VIN, but the picture of what's behind my cover is an open differential.

slvmart
12-18-2014, 03:23 AM
I usually wait about 1/2 hour after putting the RTV on the case. Then put the cover on. Gives the RTV a chance to firm up a bit, so it doesn't all get squeezed out. Especially if you have a tendency to over-torque the cover bolts.

RocknXJ
12-22-2014, 07:36 PM
My Ruff Stuff diff covers are about 13 pounds so I use a lube locker for easy installation. A heave cover and rtv don't mix. You usually end up with smeared rtv and a leaking cover.