PDA

View Full Version : Oil change = lifter chatter

packmule1911
12-11-2014, 09:13 PM
Changed the oil for the first time on my '01 XJ last night. Went with a Mopar filter, and high mileage 10W-30 synthetic Mobil 1. Nothing else added.

Oil pressure is a little higher now, but also lifter chatter that wasn't heard before. Eventually it mellows out, but that seems to take more time that it takes for the oil to circulate after it starts.

Oil's too damn complicated, and expensive, these days. I'm not going to drain out what I just put in, but if others have suggestions that would work a little better (avoid the lifter chatter), I would appreciate hearing them.

nickyg
12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
I think that lift chatter is factory installed. Mine chatters like crazy till it warms up. I tried all kinds of stuff with no luck.

packmule1911
12-11-2014, 09:19 PM
Thanks. It wasn't so noticeable before, so I figured I'd ask. Read plenty about it, and thought the combo I used was an acceptable choice. I'm assuming that 30-35 warm and 50-55 highway speed oil pressure is good?

nickyg
12-11-2014, 09:25 PM
Mine is 40 cold 20 warm at idle.

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2014, 06:00 PM
That pressure is great actually. You may want to try a lighter weight oil for the winter months like 5w30. I tried it a couple years ago and my lifter tap is now gone. That is the only thing I changed so I figure it was that. Worth a shot.

I agree though about it being too expensive. I'm down to changing mine two times a year because its $50 each time for me. But I don't put a lot of miles on it so I don't really need to more anyway.

autotech98
12-13-2014, 06:02 PM
I live in Pa and use regular castrol 10w30 with lucas oil stabilizer.40 psi cold idle 30 psi warm idle and around 50 to 60 psi at throttle....

JENSSEN
12-13-2014, 11:59 PM
Try another filter,... been there change that

in mine it was enough to trigger the knock sensor

Mudderoy
12-14-2014, 12:49 AM
I've heard a lot of bad stuff about FRAM filters. I use the M1-301 Mobile 1 filter on all our 4.0's

JENSSEN
12-16-2014, 12:04 AM
I run Baldwin or Krulinator (sp?) only

abebehrmann
12-16-2014, 08:39 AM
Changed the oil for the first time on my '01 XJ last night. Went with a Mopar filter, and high mileage 10W-30 synthetic Mobil 1. Nothing else added.

Oil pressure is a little higher now, but also lifter chatter that wasn't heard before. Eventually it mellows out, but that seems to take more time that it takes for the oil to circulate after it starts.

Oil's too damn complicated, and expensive, these days. I'm not going to drain out what I just put in, but if others have suggestions that would work a little better (avoid the lifter chatter), I would appreciate hearing them.

Just throwing this out there, don't think it explains the higher oil pressure but I'm thinking maybe if the oil was previously a conventional oil it would be a little thicker at lower temps and reduce the clatter until the lifters in the engine had a chance to warm up and expand. Not sure if this would explain it or not, just a thought that popped into my head.

packmule1911
12-17-2014, 07:08 PM
The chatter goes away pretty quickly; maybe a couple minutes. Maybe not a huge deal, but obviously the quicker they're lubed up the better.

Oil pressure sounds good with everyone. Happy there.

I'll try a different filter next time, and maybe another weight, just for the experience and "research".

Thanks All