PDA

View Full Version : Wiring for roof lights?

nickyg
12-11-2014, 09:06 PM
I want to move my PIAA lights off my bumper and on to my roof rack. I'm thinking about running the wire up along the windshiled trim.
The problem is the 12 gauge 7 strand wire I have seems very stiff and not as plyable as I like to get it to lay straight and tight.
Is 12 gauge overkill for 170 watts? (85 a piece)
Is there a downside to going with a higher strand wire?
Is there a better way to do it?

4.3LXJ
12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
Yup, a little overkill. You could use 14 ga.

xjzaped
12-11-2014, 11:02 PM
Best way to do it is to use the through the roof style of connector. I had lights on my roof rack... Moved them all to the bumper (of multiple vehicles).

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2014, 01:36 AM
This worked for me so take it as a case by case thing. I ran the ground to my lightbars mounting bracket top bolt. As for the positive I tucked it around the negative and then under the weatherstripping along the a-pillar, through the fender and finally through the inner fender to the relay.

Philxj4L
12-12-2014, 03:51 AM
I used almost the same route as xj, difference being, I took in thru the weather strip into the Jeep and down the inside of the pillar, then tru an existing hole in the bulkhead to the engine bay. if you use triple rated wire, you can use a lighter gauge. :)

nickyg
12-12-2014, 12:31 PM
Thanks guys. Never thought about running inside the door. I guessed it doesn't get pinched?
Jake, you answered my next question about how to ground it.

XJ Wheeler
12-12-2014, 06:32 PM
Thanks guys. Never thought about running inside the door. I guessed it doesn't get pinched?
Jake, you answered my next question about how to ground it.

The gaps, at least on mine, are big enough they clear plenty well.

leaftye
12-12-2014, 09:06 PM
If you want flexible wire, you should be looking at silicone wire. Even 10AWG is super flexible. You can try Hobbyking, but you may have to wait a few weeks for it to get delivered.

bluedragon436
12-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Will def keep this thought in my head on how to run the wiring when I do get around to building my XJ.. if I do decide to install the roof rack w/ some lights...

slvmart
12-13-2014, 05:43 AM
I have 2 strobes in front and another 2 on the back of the roof rack for when I plow. I ran my wiring out the back of the hatch. It doesn't get used as often and has quite a bit of room for the wiring with some hefty weather sealing. So far no issues after a couple of years. I also ran a couple of antenna leads the same way.

xjzaped
12-13-2014, 05:20 PM
Will def keep this thought in my head on how to run the wiring when I do get around to building my XJ.. if I do decide to install the roof rack w/ some lights...
I always had leaking issues with coax. My dad used to be afraid of doing holes in the roof for antennas... I broke him off that fear.

heshhash
02-22-2015, 11:48 AM
I like these through the body to make it watertight and removable. Plus extra ports for other options.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mobileportal/show_product.do?pid=15341&familyName=Perko+Watertight+Deck+Connections

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickyg
02-22-2015, 01:29 PM
UPDATE:
I ran my wire up the door behind the weather seal. Like Jake (xjwheeler) did. I'm too chicken to drill holes in my baby.

cpttuna
02-22-2015, 02:19 PM
One of my Cherokees came with the police option and was used previously by a K-9 unit. There were 3 holes made in the roof. one was made on each side on the corner in the rear near the top of the latch for a light bar I think. the holes have since been filled in and I have added some sealant to make sure they don't leak. This is just to give you and idea of what someone else did. The last hole was middle front.

xjzaped
02-23-2015, 09:41 AM
UPDATE:
I ran my wire up the door behind the weather seal. Like Jake (xjwheeler) did. I'm too chicken to drill holes in my baby.

After a couple of antennas…drilling holes is easy.

xjzaped
02-23-2015, 09:44 AM
One of my Cherokees came with the police option and was used previously by a K-9 unit. There were 3 holes made in the roof. one was made on each side on the corner in the rear near the top of the latch for a light bar I think. the holes have since been filled in and I have added some sealant to make sure they don't leak. This is just to give you and idea of what someone else did. The last hole was middle front.

Middle front would've been an antenna mount. Most light bars of the era clamped onto the gutters. Even today many full sized bars clamp onto the door frame (secured by drilling into the door frame) with the wiring being a specialized connector through the roof.

Mudderoy
02-23-2015, 10:45 AM
I like these through the body to make it watertight and removable. Plus extra ports for other options.
http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/mobileportal/show_product.do?pid=15341&familyName=Perko+Watertight+Deck+Connections

msmoorenburg ran his down the weather stripping to the gap between the cowl and the fender and into the engine bay. No holes. I did the same with my LED light bar.

Brasscatz
02-24-2015, 09:38 AM
Yeah it's scary at first. Plus, the red paint is so tough that you'll go through about 6 drill bits before making it all the way through. Had that problem installing my a-pillar light mounts.

nickyg
02-24-2015, 03:56 PM
I was like a stalker. whenever I seen a vehicle with roof lights I'd walk up inspect and take pictures. most of em had it up the windshield trim.

xjzaped
02-24-2015, 04:09 PM
I was like a stalker. whenever I seen a vehicle with roof lights I'd walk up inspect and take pictures. most of em had it up the windshield trim.

Because people are afraid of the concept of drilling holes in the roof of their vehicle. So they bypass it when they can.

Mudderoy
02-24-2015, 04:54 PM
I've drilled a 3 or 4 inch hole in mine. Drilling a hole in the roof? I'm afraid of leaks! :P

nickyg
02-25-2015, 11:02 AM
I've drilled a 3 or 4 inch hole in mine. Drilling a hole in the roof? I'm afraid of leaks! :P

You just have to drill another hole in the floor to let the water out. It didn't work out to well in the boat though.

xjzaped
02-26-2015, 12:40 AM

Depending on vehicle, I have between 1 and 4 3/4" holes in mine. XJ is currently the slacker. For my next dd, it'll probably have between 5 and 7 that I'll drill into that one.