PDA

View Full Version : Winch woes

bcrosson92
12-07-2014, 12:03 PM
so i got a quadratec 11500i with synthetic line. out of the box it wouldnt free spool. i talked to them and they said that it might just need spun with the motor to loosen it all up. so i ran the line in and out entirely with the motor. still i cant pull the line out. i checked all the gearing and its not packed with too much greese. so what else can i caheck or try? i dont really wanna ship it back if i dont have too. p.s. im not just wimpy and cant pull cable

Mudderoy
12-07-2014, 12:05 PM
so i got a quadratec 11500i with synthetic line. out of the box it wouldnt free spool. i talked to them and they said that it might just need spun with the motor to loosen it all up. so i ran the line in and out entirely with the motor. still i cant pull the line out. i checked all the gearing and its not packed with too much greese. so what else can i caheck or try? i dont really wanna ship it back if i dont have too. p.s. im not just wimpy and cant pull cable

Does that mean you can't move the clutch disengage lever?

bcrosson92
12-07-2014, 12:08 PM
sorry i forgot that part. it does move and the slide gear moves. shouldnt the free spool be pretty easy? i mean its like the whole jeep rocks when i try to pull it out.

Mudderoy
12-07-2014, 01:09 PM
sorry i forgot that part. it does move and the slide gear moves. shouldnt the free spool be pretty easy? i mean its like the whole jeep rocks when i try to pull it out.

Yeah it should. We have a SmittyBilt on the TJ and it hadn't been used since I installed it. I had a tough time getting the clutch handle to move. Thought you might have had the same issue. I finally got it to move and it free spooled.

bluedragon436
12-07-2014, 01:54 PM
How far from Quadratec are you?? I would say take it by there and show them.. that way they can see in person what is up.. Not to mention if it is an issue then they will know about it and be able to correct it for further winches... And that way also you can get it taken care of and have a correctly working winch that you paid for..

bcrosson92
12-07-2014, 03:06 PM
im in PA like 30 min. from york where the jeep jamboree is held. so driveing there wont happen. i just tore it all down and stripped all the grease out and dry fit it and i still cant turn the drum by hand. im going to repack it with synthetic grease incase i have to send it back. it does however unspool and spool in with the motor while in free spool mode. should it?

4.3LXJ
12-07-2014, 07:51 PM
No, it should disengage properly. Personally, I would have them warranty it

bcrosson92
12-08-2014, 07:10 PM
it feels like it does and takeing it apart i could see it slide. even apart in free spool i couldnt spin the gears. i guess i wanna know if the drag on new winches should be a fart past a hernia or what.

4.3LXJ
12-08-2014, 08:41 PM
I do believe the winches have a clutch in them that engages when the motor is not running. I don't know if it would affect this situation or not, but you will have to dig a little deeper into it to free it up

bcrosson92
12-09-2014, 07:07 AM
i took the whole thing apart. the gear house side that is. i repacked it and now it has barely any grease on them.

denverd1
12-09-2014, 12:58 PM
warranty it. you shouldn't have to disassemble and jack with a brand new winch.

and no, it shouldn't engage when the lever is in free spool

bcrosson92
12-09-2014, 01:05 PM
yea thats probobly what i will do. i just didnt wanna have to ship it again

denverd1
12-09-2014, 01:13 PM
yea thats probobly what i will do. i just didnt wanna have to ship it again

is that on your dime? I can understand you run it for 6 months and have a problem, but this was broken when it left their warehouse.... I'm sure quadratec is a rebadged winch, so they're more of a middle man than supplier. G/L with it.

bcrosson92
12-09-2014, 01:17 PM
its actually one they designed

denverd1
12-09-2014, 01:19 PM
its actually one they designed

then maybe they'll replace or know a quick fix. still sucks