PDA

View Full Version : Before going LED for headlights...

Mudderoy
12-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Before going LED for headlights you might consider this...

http://youtu.be/P43taQiTh3g

Thanks to Pabst Boys for sharing this on Twitter with us.

4.3LXJ
12-06-2014, 07:22 PM
Good point, no heat there to keep the ice and snow off them

bluedragon436
12-06-2014, 08:33 PM
I was kind of thinking about that issue.. Was figuring since they do run quite a bit cooler then standard style bulbs, that heat or rather lack of heat might be an issue during in-climate weather.. I do love the brighter light from the LED's... but will stick with my Hella E-codes with the 80/100w bulbs and upgraded harness.. like I had on my 98, and have sitting ready to install in my 97... Will still be looking to pick up some LED auxiliary lighting..

4.3LXJ
12-06-2014, 08:50 PM
There is another issue with the snow sticking to the headlights. It diffuses the light and makes a tremendous glare off snow flakes. Once in Utah we, along with everyone else had to turn off our headlights and run with moon light and amber running lights. Worked out cool since everyone was doing it

Philxj4L
12-07-2014, 05:50 AM
I think the important bit there was, Alaska. Even folk in the UK know temps get stupid low there. :D I would agree that a lot of US States would need to keep temps in mind with operating temp range of LEDs. I assume the units he was talking about where complete units, as opposed to H4 replacements.
Good find in the vid, and a valid point for some states. :)

XJ Wheeler
12-07-2014, 04:12 PM
That's the reason we've held off on getting LED tail lights on our work truck. Went through a storm a few years ago in our last truck and every LED clearance light it had was covered in about 1/2" of ice.

I have thought about it and think they could probably put a small heating element around the lenses for this reason. At least on the new housings like trucklite or jw speaker. It would suck a bit more power but make it possible for some.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

xj-jake
12-08-2014, 08:37 AM
I have the same headlights in my jeep. Yes they do get some ice on them but they are still far brighter than the factory lights. I figured this would come up at some point but I wouldn't let it sway a decision on purchasing them

Dumajones
12-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Hey Fellas, I was told my vid was here.. if you guys want to see my review go
here.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/truck-lite-led-pros-cons-review-pic-heavy-202918/

I think this is just a little more then some ice.. Im not out to say they suck or anything, they just can't handle AK weather.. When it snows wet freezing heavy snow, and the temps are 29f-down, they just cant keep up. Great headlight. Just not for places like Alaska.
http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cherokeeforum.com-vbulletin/1280x960/80-100_0816_aaf6c299a543562a7176eb7ab4b7f5075255b91e. jpg

Dumajones
12-08-2014, 09:31 AM
Oh Hello guys I'm Adam AKA Duma.. Ill try to come here more often now that I have joined..

Mudderoy
12-08-2014, 10:05 AM
Hey Fellas, I was told my vid was here.. if you guys want to see my review go
here.
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f59/truck-lite-led-pros-cons-review-pic-heavy-202918/

I think this is just a little more then some ice.. Im not out to say they suck or anything, they just can't handle AK weather.. When it snows wet freezing heavy snow, and the temps are 29f-down, they just cant keep up. Great headlight. Just not for places like Alaska.
http://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.cherokeeforum.com-vbulletin/1280x960/80-100_0816_aaf6c299a543562a7176eb7ab4b7f5075255b91e. jpg

Ahhh good, I was going to see if I could find you to get more information. I'm in S.E. Texas, all my life, we're lucky if we get ice in the ridge! :D But I thought it might be a good warning for others in the colder climates.

:patriot:

Dumajones
12-08-2014, 10:31 AM
Ahhh good, I was going to see if I could find you to get more information. I'm in S.E. Texas, all my life, we're lucky if we get ice in the ridge! :D But I thought it might be a good warning for others in the colder climates.

:patriot:I was just told about this place. Im filling out all my info right now.. Yes I made this vid and thread on the other site for people who live in ares like mine to have a little warning..
I contacted T/L and was told literally Bummer..lol That is why they are testing the heated ones they have in the military. If all goes good they might be available in the near future, but not sure on the 5x7 for our Xj's

I still love my T/L and I plan on using them In the summer, the Autoplas for the winter to get the heat..

Its not uncommon to get Real wet heavy snow in the 20'sf that freezes once on the ground or anything the snow hits..Im 43 Ive live in AK my whole life so I know about snow lol.

4.3LXJ
12-08-2014, 10:39 AM
I hear ya, I was raised in the snow too. Just to tweak your thinking a little, the purple part of the spectrum is the best wave length for falling snow. I have always wondered how a lavender projector HID would do. Not legal here in CA, but that spectrum in Mercury Vapor is what they use for night skiing

Dumajones
12-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I hear ya, I was raised in the snow too. Just to tweak your thinking a little, the purple part of the spectrum is the best wave length for falling snow. I have always wondered how a lavender projector HID would do. Not legal here in CA, but that spectrum in Mercury Vapor is what they use for night skiing
Hmm interesting.. In Ak they have 0 and I mean O headlight laws..just the basic
Two headlights
None burned out
Turn off High beams for on coming traffic

Ive been seeing blue headlights,,
green
yellow
kinda a pink color
Ive see this guy in town here that just using his pillar lights on his Xj

Not to mention all the bro dozer trucks that have six lights blinding everyone
hooked to their bumpers.

4.3LXJ
12-08-2014, 12:49 PM
The kinda pink is probably the ones I am talking about. Different temps produce different colors in HID. They don't help in regular weather, but I hear real good in a storm. Might make a good pair of secondary lights. You could call them storm lights :D