PDA

View Full Version : Just replaced Oil Sending Unit! No more ticking.

Carolina Classic
12-04-2014, 05:51 PM
First let me tell you about my XJ. It is a 1996 Country, I purchased it from an old friend and have been wanting it for years. It is in great shape, but because of sitting in a garage and then me starting to drive it more almost evey leak has appeared in the last 2 months. I figured I was in for the long haul with my new toy so I decided to Google away. I completed a rear main seal and a transmission bell housing seal, because both started leaking unbelievably. Just recently I noticed on my clean engine, oil filter and starter that there was oil. I traced it to the oil sending unit. I picked one up and the 1 1/16 socket and replaced it within 5 minutes. I started the engine and the oil pressure gauge was just above 40. It always ran at 80. What is odd is before I changed the OSU I had a ticking sound coming from the engine compartment and you could really hear while inside the Jeep. Now with the replacement there is no ticking sound and the engine is running great. I am happy with the results, but would like to know what was ticking. I always assumed it was maybe a lifter. Any ideas? Could it have been the OSU?
Thanks

XJ Wheeler
12-04-2014, 06:37 PM
I don't think it would have been the sending unit but the most common ticks/taps on the 4.0l are stuck lifters, cracked exhaust manifold, and loose torque converter bolts. Sounds like probably the stuck lifter. Mine suffered from it and went away when i switched oil.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Carolina Classic
12-12-2014, 06:24 AM
What oil are you using?

nickyg
12-12-2014, 12:28 PM
I have the same problem.. at 240k I figured I'm gonna need a rebuild sometime in the future. so I try not to sweat it.

abebehrmann
12-12-2014, 12:52 PM
First let me tell you about my XJ. It is a 1996 Country, I purchased it from an old friend and have been wanting it for years. It is in great shape, but because of sitting in a garage and then me starting to drive it more almost evey leak has appeared in the last 2 months. I figured I was in for the long haul with my new toy so I decided to Google away. I completed a rear main seal and a transmission bell housing seal, because both started leaking unbelievably. Just recently I noticed on my clean engine, oil filter and starter that there was oil. I traced it to the oil sending unit. I picked one up and the 1 1/16 socket and replaced it within 5 minutes. I started the engine and the oil pressure gauge was just above 40. It always ran at 80. What is odd is before I changed the OSU I had a ticking sound coming from the engine compartment and you could really hear while inside the Jeep. Now with the replacement there is no ticking sound and the engine is running great. I am happy with the results, but would like to know what was ticking. I always assumed it was maybe a lifter. Any ideas? Could it have been the OSU?
Thanks

Boy that's weird. I wouldn't think that the OSU would cause a ticking noise but if it went away after only replacing that, the only explanation I can think of is that is what was doing it. My best guess is it was making a ticking noise as a small amount of oil under pressure was sneaking through the OSU and making a ticking noise as it leaked out. Sort of how you'll often hear a ticking noise associated with a leaky exhaust manifold. Not sure if that's what it was but that's the best I can come up with. :crazy: