PDA

View Full Version : ’99 XJ wandering floor mat

Red Octopus
12-03-2014, 01:04 PM
I bought some ‘deep dish’ floor mats for the front of my XJ – the passenger side stays in place OK but the driver’s side wanders quite a bit. If there was anything to hold a mat in place it’s long gone. I’ve posted a photo of the floor where it would have been attached.
Could someone post a photo of what the original ‘thingee’ looked like? If the factory one is missing it’s probably not worth looking to buy a replacement so I’m thinking that I’ll make a replacement either like the factory one or just make a post like thingee and screw it to the floor.
It’s not a double floor with something vital running through there is it?

denverd1
12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
screw that puppy down. nothing between what you see and the pavement

autotech98
12-03-2014, 06:23 PM
i beleive there was a little teardrop shaped protrusion on that plastic tab. I have the same problem on my 98. Im thinking of using a small screw to hold it in place like denver mentioned

nickyg
12-04-2014, 07:13 AM
screw that puppy down. nothing between what you see and the pavement

I have 2 pennies, 1 dime and 375 crusty french fries between me, the floor pans and the pavement.

denverd1
12-04-2014, 09:43 AM
I have 2 pennies, 1 dime and 375 crusty french fries between me, the floor pans and the pavement.

then roll it over and shake it out!!

NW99XJ
12-04-2014, 12:07 PM
Could someone post a photo of what the original ‘thingee’ looked like?

i beleive there was a little teardrop shaped protrusion on that plastic tab. I have the same problem on my 98. Im thinking of using a small screw to hold it in place like denver mentioned
^ this.

There WAS a retaining tab that would hold the OEM floor mat in place... this is needed because of the vinyl that is present in most late model XJ carpet kits at the foot well area of the drivers side floor. The passenger side doesn't have this, thus is not necessary on that side.
MOST XJ's by now either have this piece completely missing, or in your case, the pertinent part is snapped off. A "quick-fix" would be to use some of that "anti slip matting" you see for the underside of rugs, kitchen drawers, or tool boxes. That would keep things from moving around a bit, but may not be an ultimate solution....

Something like THIS however could have some potential:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTI5NFgxNjAw/z/PbAAAOxypNtSjj2g/$_57.JPG

It seems to be pretty cheap at only $5.80 ea. thru E-bay (http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Dodge-Jeep-Chrysler-Ram-Front-Floor-Mat-Carpet-Retainer-Clip-Hook-Mopar-OEM-/111222273298)

The other solution would be to take a walk thru the junk yard, and see if you cant find an XJ that still has one of those.... or rob something from another vehicle and make it work. (which should be pretty easy and inexpensive solution as well.)

XJ Wheeler
12-04-2014, 01:39 PM
Not exactly the same deal but in our one ton it had vinyl flooring and no hooks at all so we just put a wire tie to the seat mount. Simple enough to undo for cleaning and cheap. Probably already have one in your supply. ;)

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

denverd1
12-04-2014, 01:57 PM
slap some husky or goodyear mats in there and don't look back

autotech98
12-04-2014, 06:06 PM
or rip out the carpet and rhino line the floor!

Red Octopus
12-16-2014, 12:55 PM
Problem solved and it didn’t cost anything!
See the photos –Used a ½ inch dowel cut to length (the height of the mat 'treads') and a 1-1/4 flat head self-tapping stainless steel screw.
The mat had a molded in place for the JeeP factory mat holder thingee – I cut that out/opened it up with a razor knife.
I drilled a center hole in the dowel – put the dowel through the hole in the mat - this let me locate the place for the screw in the floor and then I drilled the screw hole and VIOLA!
The mat now stays in place. The mat hole is a snug fit for the ½ inch dowel so no leaks!
Damn I'm good!
:wink:

ArmyGuy45
12-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Problem solved and it didn’t cost anything!
See the photos –Used a ½ inch dowel cut to length (the height of the mat 'treads') and a 1-1/4 flat head self-tapping stainless steel screw.
The mat had a molded in place for the JeeP factory mat holder thingee – I cut that out/opened it up with a razor knife.
I drilled a center hole in the dowel – put the dowel through the hole in the mat - this let me locate the place for the screw in the floor and then I drilled the screw hole and VIOLA!
The mat now stays in place. The mat hole is a snug fit for the ½ inch dowel so no leaks!
Damn I'm good!
:wink:

We need a like button.

4.3LXJ
12-16-2014, 01:21 PM
The "Thanks" button is our Like button