PDA

View Full Version : So my phone took a poop

xj-jake
12-02-2014, 02:35 PM
Samsung Galaxy S4 screen has a mind of it's own. Verizon is being fickle about fixing it (I am out of warranty) but I have til September on my contract. Samsung said they'd fix or replace it at no charge as my factory warranty has just expired. Anyone have any luck buying phones off of amazon or ebay or craigslist for that matter? I'm slightly interested in an Iphone but I don't wanna pay through the nose to find out I don't like it. 14 day turn around from Samsung and I can't be without for 2 weeks. Thoughts on buying second hand or used phone and thoughts on iphones please.

Mudderoy
12-02-2014, 02:59 PM
There's an app for that?

Mudderoy
12-02-2014, 03:00 PM
Samsung Galaxy S4 screen has a mind of it's own. Verizon is being fickle about fixing it (I am out of warranty) but I have til September on my contract. Samsung said they'd fix or replace it at no charge as my factory warranty has just expired. Anyone have any luck buying phones off of amazon or ebay or craigslist for that matter? I'm slightly interested in an Iphone but I don't wanna pay through the nose to find out I don't like it. 14 day turn around from Samsung and I can't be without for 2 weeks. Thoughts on buying second hand or used phone and thoughts on iphones please.

Fix it yourself. YouTube video and a good soldering iron with a fine tip.

xj-jake
12-02-2014, 03:04 PM
Fix it yourself. YouTube video and a good soldering iron with a fine tip.

I drink lots of coffee....

Philxj4L
12-02-2014, 03:13 PM
I've had iPhones for some years now, a 3, 4s and now a 5s. They don't have the customisable options othe phones have, but they just work, I had all mine on 18 month contracts, no issues with the phones at all. There can be software issues after updates. I hold off on iOS updates for a week, and keep an eye on Twitter for complaints, if there is, hold off until the patch update is released, and that's usually released within a couple of days. :)

denverd1
12-02-2014, 03:22 PM
local shop would loan me phones in the past until they fixed or mine came back... buy an s4 and use the current as a backup?

xj-jake
12-02-2014, 03:26 PM
local shop would loan me phones in the past until they fixed or mine came back... buy an s4 and use the current as a backup?

Local shop is out of loaners. An S4 is gonna run me about $350 and I can get an iphone 4 off Amazon for $120 to my door by Thursday.

denverd1
12-02-2014, 03:28 PM
how much for an S3? Crazy that 4s are still that much.

i4 is 2 models back, S3 is as well. Never had an iAnything so I can't compare them. but my S3 kicked ass before I moved on

xj-jake
12-02-2014, 03:39 PM
how much for an S3? Crazy that 4s are still that much.

i4 is 2 models back, S3 is as well. Never had an iAnything so I can't compare them. but my S3 kicked ass before I moved on

Quick check says $260 for an S3. I love my S4 but it's just not working for me right now. My thinking is $120 for a refurbed Iphone 4 and I should be able to get $100 out of it when I'm done with it or just keep it for a backup..

denverd1
12-02-2014, 03:40 PM
as long as you don't mind jacking with going between 2 systems

Mudderoy
12-02-2014, 04:04 PM
I've had iPhones for some years now, a 3, 4s and now a 5s. They don't have the customisable options othe phones have, but they just work, I had all mine on 18 month contracts, no issues with the phones at all. There can be software issues after updates. I hold off on iOS updates for a week, and keep an eye on Twitter for complaints, if there is, hold off until the patch update is released, and that's usually released within a couple of days. :)

I've had my Samsung Galaxy S2 (the iPhone knock off with expandable memory and the ability to swap batteries) for ahhh 5 years? Can that be right? Anyway no issues, works fine all the time.

nickyg
12-02-2014, 05:09 PM
I went with the iphone 5, mainly because its easy to replace the screens on em. and also because i'm just a little bit nuts.

bluedragon436
12-03-2014, 10:09 AM
I loved my S3 and the only reason I upgraded to the S5 was because my S3 decided to do it's own thing as far as cutting off and randomly vibrating... even the Samsung rep was like WTF when I showed it to him... But that phone had been through hell, been through extreme temperature changes from being stuck in a snow bank for about 14hrs in Alaska, to being in the Sandbox in 100+ for 6+ months... not to mention being on almost all the time and being dropped a few times while working on the acft. For me I'd hate to go back and forth between two completely different OS's.. But I understand the whole not being able to be without a phone... as when mine crashed out I was told by multiple places I couldn't upgrade for over a month... and after calling Verizon they were like we'll wave that time if you're going to renew contract (which was my plan anyways)...

denverd1
12-03-2014, 10:58 AM
I went with the iphone 5, mainly because its easy to replace the screens on em. and also because i'm just a little bit nuts.

:crazy: yes sir you are!!