PDA

View Full Version : Putco harness for H4 conversion?

autotech98
12-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Morning all. I keep hearing everyone talk about the putco harness in conjunction with doing this project. What are the benifits of it and is it a must? All thoughts welcome:)

bluedragon436
12-02-2014, 07:26 AM
I don't know so much if it is a must... I remember seeing people talk about having issues with melting the factory wires when running the higher wattage H4 bulbs when they did the conversion.. I know that the factory wiring doesn't put out the full 12v wattage for the headlights so you don't get the full potential of the H4 conversion or even the full potential of the factory style sealed beams running the factory setup... whereas when you do the harness you get more of the full potential cause it runs upgraded wire size, and runs 12v power directly from the battery through relays to the headlights, and only takes a signal from the factory wiring to turn it on and off... And considering it's only like $26 or so from Amazon, was worth it to me to get the most out of my H4 conversion when I install it... I low I never regretted spending more then that when I did the more expensive H4 harness on my last H4 conversion with the 98...

autotech98
12-02-2014, 07:30 AM
Cool thanks for the info. I def want to get the full output from the lights. Whole reason for switching. I was coming home from work yesterday morning( first day of rifle season for dear in PA) had three dear run in front of me and bearly saw them with the stock headlights

autotech98
12-02-2014, 07:31 AM
Sorry ...deer....brain not quite working yet

bluedragon436
12-02-2014, 07:38 AM
Cool thanks for the info. I def want to get the full output from the lights. Whole reason for switching. I was coming home from work yesterday morning( first day of rifle season for dear in PA) had three dear run in front of me and bearly saw them with the stock headlights

Yep I hear you on that... I used to drive down country back roads through corn fields and almost hit a few deer that I didn't see till I was right up on them... and that is when I decided it was time to invest in the H4 upgrade w/ harness... and never looked back... Didn't often need my brights after that upgrade, and when I did... holy cow I saw everything that I never saw before when driving these roads @ night.... Felt far safer when doing so...

autotech98
12-02-2014, 07:41 AM
Amen to that my whole 54 mile round trip is back country roads. Ive hit my share of deer but id rather not in my cherokee

Philxj4L
12-02-2014, 08:19 AM
If your thinking of an H4 conversion, forget the harness' and fit LED replacement bulbs. As LEDs have a low power draw, there's no need to touch the harness, and you get full fat 1800Lm per side.
Here's a before/after vid. I used 2000Lm Cree units with totally stock wiring.
(UK spec Jeeps have H4 as standard)

http://youtu.be/F74o13KFI3g

autotech98
12-02-2014, 09:19 AM
Good idea. Might have to wait till after christmas though.

XJ Wheeler
12-02-2014, 05:02 PM
If you plan on higher wattage bulbs I would say its a must. The factory is 60/55w and I wouldn't even want to think about running a 100/80w bulbs on a headlight switch. But even on stock type sealed housings you will get more output.

autotech98
12-02-2014, 05:04 PM
Not planning on going any higher but might still get harness for peice of mind

XJ Wheeler
12-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Not planning on going any higher but might still get harness for peice of mind

Definitely. Still good to take that strain off the switch and in case you ever want to swap out the bulbs.

Pyrokid4
12-03-2014, 01:37 AM
Xj wheeler have you ever had a problem with the putco harnesses? I have seen a lot of people talk about how when they got there's the relays were bad and things of that nature. Have you ever had a problem like that or similar? Looking into doing the harness but am between building my own and the putco harness

XJ Wheeler
12-03-2014, 03:13 AM
Xj wheeler have you ever had a problem with the putco harnesses? I have seen a lot of people talk about how when they got there's the relays were bad and things of that nature. Have you ever had a problem like that or similar? Looking into doing the harness but am between building my own and the putco harness

I have had mine installed for almost three years now with no issues. However my brother put his in just before I did and a couple months ago a connector in the harness caused his low beams not to work. But he just deleted the connector and all is well. If I did it again I would probably go with the LMC harness to try out. Always heard good of it.

Philxj4L
12-03-2014, 06:30 AM
Just throwing this in as another route to brighter lights.
UK Jeep owners have another cost cutting method. Again, this bypasses the need for up rated harness. 2 x 40A relays. Use the existing loom to power the relays (1 for low beams, 1 for high beams) then use the relays to send a full fat feed to the lights. This takes the load off the headlight loom at a fraction of the cost and works just as well as a replacement harness.
Further on LEDs, the Cree units I've fitted are only 12.5/30w, and on high beam, 60w (30w x 2) pulls a total of 3A, much lower than standard 55/60w.
This is how it looks on the road, worth noting, the windscreen badly needs a clean, and th driver side (RHS, UK spec) reflector could do with replacing.
ignore it when it get very bright, that's when 60" of Cree bars kick in. :)

http://youtu.be/mDiu7JBKqvw

cpttuna
12-03-2014, 06:38 AM
LMC harness36-3580($29.95) About $40 shipped to your front door. I have purchased 6 of these. I have had no problems to date. I do carry spare relays in each of the vehicles just in case. I have read about people having problems with the PUTCO harness on other jeep forums.

bluedragon436
12-03-2014, 06:55 AM
LMC harness36-3580($29.95) About $40 shipped to your front door. I have purchased 6 of these. I have had no problems to date. I do carry spare relays in each of the vehicles just in case. I have read about people having problems with the PUTCO harness on other jeep forums.

Ran the LMC harness in my 98.... and would have much rathered have gotten one again, but the price kind of killed me the last time... so figured I'd give the Putco harness a try... if it works it works, if not then... no real harm as it's not my DD anyways... and I'll go back to the LMC harness if it's not something easily fixable wrong with the Putco harness...

denverd1
12-04-2014, 12:40 PM
I ran a putco harness to the hellas on my stinger hoop. no issues after 2 years

Gotta go LED for headlights. pop in a new bulb piece and done

autotech98
12-04-2014, 06:08 PM
Yeah Denver now that i have the housings i would like to, but unfortunatly other things take priority...:bang:

bluedragon436
12-05-2014, 10:25 AM
I ran a putco harness to the hellas on my stinger hoop. no issues after 2 years

Gotta go LED for headlights. pop in a new bulb piece and done

Been thinking about the LED bulbs... but most of the ones I've found have the fans on the back... and figure that wouldn't work too well with mud and water playing... What set are you running??

rabies
12-05-2014, 11:21 AM
same harness $8 on ebay. just a straight to battery with plugs and relay

denverd1
12-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Been thinking about the LED bulbs... but most of the ones I've found have the fans on the back... and figure that wouldn't work too well with mud and water playing... What set are you running??

i'm not. looking to upgrade along with you guys. seems like a no brainer between power draw, better vis and reduced pain in the assness.

yea the fan bit didn't tickle my fancy. I was going to fabricate some sort of housing that supports them and hopefully keeps them dry.

What about HIDs? they have a big startup power draw then it drops off significantly. anybody running them?

bluedragon436
12-06-2014, 02:07 PM
Just found an LED headlight setup that has no fans, but heat sinks... I only wonder though if that might not cause issues of it's own due to the area where the heat sinks are being a semi enclosed area, and no real air flow there.... I don't know how warm LED's of this type would really get... I mean the LED headlight assemblies that are sealed like the Truck Lites.. don't have heat sinks on them... so not sure..

Philxj4L
12-06-2014, 02:28 PM
There is a certain amount of heat associated with the luminous pots on LEDs, where the issues occurr are with the drivers. When the drivers start heating, it reduces power to the pots so reducing light output. I think a lot of the LED headlights have separate drivers, so heat shouldn't be an issue at that end, and the heat sinks should be enough to keep the flux pots sweet.

Pyrokid4
12-07-2014, 01:48 AM
Are these the LED bulbs you guys are talking about? (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html) cause as you can see on that page near the bottom the guy submerges that whole bulb in water. So would it be safe to say that it is water "proof" or were you guys more worried about the fan getting caught up in something, wire etc?

bluedragon436
12-07-2014, 03:09 AM
Are these the LED bulbs you guys are talking about? (http://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/3600-Lumen-H4-H6M-LED-Headlight-bulb-_p_83.html) cause as you can see on that page near the bottom the guy submerges that whole bulb in water. So would it be safe to say that it is water "proof" or were you guys more worried about the fan getting caught up in something, wire etc?

I just wonder what kind of long term water submersion and even more so mud submersion... would think mud would clog up the blades, or gunk up the brushes of the motors of the fan... As far as the water, would think not really good for them to run under water for long term... to fight through the water to spin...

Philxj4L
12-07-2014, 05:36 AM

I notice those are off road only, also don't have separate drivers, so the fans WILL be needed. The set I have fitted don't seem to be available any longer. They are 2000Lm units, I'm not sure of the U.S. set up, but in the UK 1800Lm is the legal output limit for headlights. These are the closest I've seen available, and seem to be THE LATEST incarnation, no fans, and IP68 ingress rating, again, the lastest IP rating. I'd have these in a flash if I hadn't already fitted LEDs ! Technically illegal on the Lumens front, but how can those nice folk in uniform tell :)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60W-6000-K-LM-CREE-LED-Headlight-Bulb-Kit-H4-H1-H7-H8-H9-H11-H13-9004-9005-9007-/111505129741?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&var=&hash=item19f639410d

Philxj4L
12-07-2014, 06:23 AM
Thanks guys ! I'm now VERY SERIOUSLY considering upgrading to the units in the link I posted above !!

denverd1
12-08-2014, 06:46 PM
Thanks guys ! I'm now VERY SERIOUSLY considering upgrading to the units in the link I posted above !!

Those look cool with the heatsinks on the back!! I was also thinking that for normal operation (ie. not submerged) there would be sufficient airflow just from fan to keep them cool.

So h4 is our bulb type correct?
also, they had 6000 listed. I couldn't find 2000, maybe you got last pair?
not sure about the boys in blue on these. this will be my first pair of 'ricer' headlights! :smiley-laughing021: :headbag: just kidding!!
BUT i AM looking forward to being able to see at night!!!

BTW do we have bright limits in states? Mine's a trailer queen so I might just slap some 6000s in and go full ricer mode up front.

bluedragon436
12-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Maybe once my Hella 80/100w bulbs burn out... or I take care of just about everything else I want too.. and I have spare money to play with, I'll go LED's in the headlights... But till then I'm going to wear out the Hella bulbs...

denverd1
12-08-2014, 06:56 PM
i'm running 2 Hellas on my stinger hoop on their own harness. love them. Got 2 more with broken glass. Can you buy replacement glass for them?

bluedragon436
12-08-2014, 09:17 PM
i'm running 2 Hellas on my stinger hoop on their own harness. love them. Got 2 more with broken glass. Can you buy replacement glass for them?

I was more referring to Hella E-codes and the Hella 80/100w bulbs... But have thought about picking up some Hella offroad lights unless I find an amazing deal on some LED bars or cubes.. Once I pick up a fairlead mount for lights, as my bumper doesn't have any light tabs, unfortunately...