PDA

View Full Version : Need Info &or Input w/my "Frankin lift" using CA Drop Brackets. All opinions Welcome.

TheMountainMan
12-01-2014, 12:31 PM
The goal is to make a family friendly semi-capable Trail rig that is:
Cheap-(ish) to put together w/parts that will be sell-able if not useable when I go HP 44 front & 14 or 60 rear.
Very street-able (the wife needs to be able to drive it on the road @ 55mph),
Capable of running 35s part time.
I am planning on using 4.5" coils w/drop brackets (prob Rocky Road) & stock arms. (For now I build adj. arms)
(any input/guidance/help or info is very welcome & appreciated)
Will I need to lengthen the drive front shaft?
Here is what I think I need for the front:
-4.5" coils
-Control Arm Drop brackets
-Adj. track bar. (need suggestions)
-Drop Pitman Arm (need suggestions)
-Discos

Rear:
Bastard Packs & maybe blocks
SYE Hack & Tap w/front d-shaft for now.. (Input????)
(I will come back & add to this post, I'm out of time for now)
Thanks in advance for your help.

4.3LXJ
12-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I think yo have a good plan for the front so far. I like the idea of using full length coil instead of spacers. Drop brackets work well. The only drawback with them is that they can get hung up on stuff sometimes as he wheel drops over something. Other than that, sounds OK to me. In my opinion, and bear in mind I am kind of a purist when it comes to suspensions, is that track bar type is the most important thing. Double shear track bars are more expensive and require a new bracket, but hold up much better and are stronger in the long run. Just my 2 cents

TheMountainMan
12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
I think yo have a good plan for the front so far. I like the idea of using full length coil instead of spacers. Drop brackets work well. The only drawback with them is that they can get hung up on stuff sometimes as he wheel drops over something. Other than that, sounds OK to me. In my opinion, and bear in mind I am kind of a purist when it comes to suspensions, is that track bar type is the most important thing.

Thank You Steve, (I agree wholeheartedly, especially w/the wife & little-ones safety on road is concerned) I had just assumed <ha>
That any/all good aftermarket track bars & brackets for off/on road usage would be Double shear (a liability issue I would/would've thought) Im sure you prob saved me a possibly huge headache there. (thanks again)
Do you or ANYONE else have any suggestions for a pre-made (off the shelf) adj. bar & bracket combo?
Keep in mind this XJ is going to be for easy-less easy trails & fire roads, Not rock gardens or anything that will really jar your teeth... <Much>..
& if you/or someone could help me get measurements/dimensions that are available from someones DIY bracket & bars set-up or help w/"borrowing" dimensions/measurements from off the shelf brackets & bars that would be GREAT as I always prefer to build/fab my own, as long as it's practical in the $$$ & time dept. )

Also should I move this thread to the Modified forum, http://www.xjtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3 to get more activity?
So ANYONE'S input/direction on or to track bar & or bracket info or build/specs & anything else is appreciated.

bluedragon436
12-01-2014, 09:41 PM
As far as some good beefy double shear kits you can pick up... there are quite a few... two that I'd look at if I were in the market... (and I'm only out of the market now cause I picked up one of these already).... are:

Iron Man 4x4 Fab (http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/TB.html) (one of our Vendors that makes some awesome and beefy stuff)

http://www.ironman4x4fab.com/Products/images/STD-TBB-F.jpg

IronRockOffroad (http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=10215&Category_Code=PFX)

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/IMG_7536.jpg

4.3LXJ
12-01-2014, 11:19 PM
Iron Man's are the best, all others go down from there. I think you will find his prices are good too. The Iron Rock looks good too

TheMountainMan
12-01-2014, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the quick reply's. For the $100 Diff. between the two ^^
It looks like I could fab a bar (the bends in the Iron Rock look easy enough to duplicate) buy the ends & bracket then come out ahead.. $$ Wise..
What is w/the large angle (or bend) difference between the two? Thoughts???
Also keep in mind this is not my mod-advanced trail rig (for now.. that is what my CJ is for) just need it to be Safe & reliable on/mild off road.
Thanks again. I really appreciate the help, I am really grateful for your time providing me w/all this help.

Thanks for posting links & pics. It's really helpful to my computer ignorant self. Many thanks again for quick replys, pics, links, input & general help to someone you all don't know. I'm truly Greatful.

TheMountainMan
12-02-2014, 09:47 AM
Is the Iron Man design w/the bar running more parallel with the axle a far better design?
What makes the I.M. $100 better? The J joint? & Or what else?
Is the their bracket better as well?
I do like they offer to sell the bracket separate. (& it seems like a decent price)

Thanks for all the help & input!! Sorry about the 50 questions, I'm just hungry for knowledge.

4.3LXJ
12-02-2014, 10:09 AM
The only thing beefier than Andy's stuff is the stuff I make for myself. Also andy uses harder bushings in the ends so there is less wiggle for wobble

XJ Wheeler
12-03-2014, 03:25 AM
I would go with ironman as well. I have his motor mounts and they are pure beef! 1/4" and everything is great quality. Not trying to sales pitch this but he uses good steel and thick wall stuff. Plus I like how he incorporates hole to add a brace to the opposite "framerail".

TheMountainMan
12-03-2014, 08:03 AM
Just from looking @ & reading the construction details I think that that bar is prob. the best on the market as well, I especially like the adjustment design.

However I really don't think I need a t-bar of that caliber at this time,
As this is only going to be used on light trails, fire/logging roads & the street to & from <for now>.

(I'm going to go to a HP44/14or60 set up later on this year & plan to move the axle forward quite-a-bit & will be fabing the links, steering & t-bar.)

& don' want to spend an extra Bill for a part that will end up in the crazy parts pile of no return....HAHAHa

As for the bar I would like to stay around $1-130 = $100 less than IronMan (I know not the same quality) I would like to get a street safe bar & bracket for sub $180?

I really like the bracket as well, I will most likely be picking one of those up, but if the only diff from others (brands I don't know & would like to be schooled on) is being pre-drilled for bracing I have a drill press so that is not a selling point for me unless that quality of bracket isn't available cheaper.
So any input on other more temp/budget friendly bars would be appreciated. Just double shear & reliable.

Thank you all so much for the help & patience dealing w/my forum ignorance.
& should I try to move this to the "Modified" forum for more activity?

bluedragon436
12-03-2014, 08:25 AM
For the price range you are looking to fill.. I'd say take a look @ Rough Country's "HD" track bar. (http://www.roughcountry.com/adjustable-track-bar-1079.html).. It's $129 so that'll fit in your price range you are looking at..

http://cdn.roughcountry.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/392x260/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/j/e/jeep-track-bar_1079-base.jpg

TheMountainMan
12-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I had saw that bar in a thread & saw that several people have some bad things to say about R.C.
I used their stuff years ago on my K5s w/great results & from what I read thought they may just have been slacking on QC now.
(I know there will always be people that have something negative to say about any given brand/product)

Any vendors on here sell Rough Country?
Any good ones for fab supplies like rod ends, johnny joints, heims, threaded inserts ect.?
Any that sell UN-assembled braces, mounts & or steering upgrade kits?

Thanks again for the help.

4.3LXJ
12-03-2014, 03:33 PM
Allen, RC had a good product and then jumped into the game with cheap long arm upgrades. They cut some corners when they did this. One corner was on material. Some of it was not up to par, such as bushings and flex joints. The other was on product testing. To make up for that, they provided great no questions asked on warranty and returned parts. They have gone through several evolutions of materials, including steel since then since they were having a ton of warranty fixes. They are better now. But to comment specifically, my personal preference is not to have that type of heim on anything you want to use a long time. They wear out and get sloppy. And in RCs case, they have replaced a lot of those on track bars

XJ Wheeler
12-03-2014, 10:45 PM
We've had two members bend their RC trackbars so for that reason I would stay away from them, but they did warranty them.

TheMountainMan
12-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know what happened.
Do you fellas think it would be a decent (& safe) short term solution (6-8mo) w/very light trail & street use? (Its on sale for $130 shipped w/bracket right now)
Is the bracket good quality? (looks good to me from pics)
I plan on making my own bar when I fab the new links for my CJs later this year.

Thanks again for the help.

4.3LXJ
12-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Yes, it would work that long

XJ Wheeler
12-04-2014, 01:23 PM
For that price i would go for it if its temporary use. And just for clarification those trackbars bent while wheeling so no telling how hard they were getting beat on.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

TheMountainMan
12-04-2014, 09:42 PM
Good to hear. Looks like I'm going to have this thing up 4.5" for $350-450 quickly & easily thanks to yalls help.