PDA

View Full Version : Steering Wheel Slop and Tracking Wanders

thebyus
12-01-2014, 09:47 AM
The steering on the my XJ has been crap since I bought it in July. Lots of slop in the steering wheel, it wanders all over the place. Wasn't a big deal, but now I want to start road tripping in the thing and after a 4 hour trip this weekend, the steering/wandering is:
A) a PITA
B) exhausting and
C) flat out dangerous

Finally got underneath and checked it out while my son turned the wheel this morning. All the bushings are solid, the track bar and drag link bar are parallel, the drop pitman arm is working correctly.

What I found is that if you play the slop in the steering wheel, the steering shaft rotates but the wheels don't budge. Once you get through the wheel slop, everything works fine.

I found these two videos on youtube that perfectly show my problem:

Steering wheel slop (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nv8wIXRH0uA)

Steering shaft turning (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ3U5bbi0s)

After trolling the threads, i found two possible solutions, either it is a steering box problem (if so, could tightening the box fix it, or I am I looking at replacing it?) or a shaft problem (though I'm not sure about this one, as the steering wheel seems to be sending the output all the way down the shaft, but there seems to be a problem with the steering shaft inputting to the box).

Would love advice/opinions -

fyi - 2001 XJ, 190K miles, lifted 6", rolling 35's, custom over-sized tie rod, drop pitman arm.

4.3LXJ
12-01-2014, 11:31 AM
Eamon, this isn't the end of the world. There is an adjustment on top. It takes a wrench and an allen wrench to do it. Back off the lock nut and turn the allen until the steering is tight, but not getting harder to turn. That should take care of that part of it

XJ Wheeler
12-02-2014, 01:48 AM
X2^

RocknXJ
12-02-2014, 09:35 PM
Eamon, this isn't the end of the world. There is an adjustment on top. It takes a wrench and an allen wrench to do it. Back off the lock nut and turn the allen until the steering is tight, but not getting harder to turn. That should take care of that part of it

I have the same steering issue. Is this lock nut and Allen bolt on the steering box itself?

4.3LXJ
12-02-2014, 09:36 PM
Yes, right on top

RocknXJ
12-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Great, thanks. I swapped to a Durango box and it has wandered ever since. I'll check it this weekend.

XJ Wheeler
12-03-2014, 04:29 AM
Yep, just remove the efan and you'll see it.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

thebyus
12-04-2014, 11:23 AM
Steve, you hit the nail on the head. :bacondance: I pulled the fan last night and adjusted the adjustment screw. It took just over half a turn, but now when I start to turn the wheel, the tires start to wiggle. Took it out for a quick spin and it is like a whole new beast. I don't feel ANY tightness in the box, and no popping or anything, either.

Thanks for the input!

Eamonn

4.3LXJ
12-04-2014, 12:27 PM
Glad you got it sorted out

slvmart
12-04-2014, 04:26 PM
Make sure your steering wheel returns to center after making the adjustment. If you have to assist it too much, most likely it is a bit too tight. They typically recommend not making adjustment over about 1/8 turn and then checking how it steers.

RocknXJ
12-14-2014, 09:51 PM
Make sure your steering wheel returns to center after making the adjustment. If you have to assist it too much, most likely it is a bit too tight. They typically recommend not making adjustment over about 1/8 turn and then checking how it steers.

I adjusted my steering and it corrected my wandering and loose steering issue. I tightened the allen head about 1/2 turn, and will likely back it off a bit, but it drives 100% better now. The most difficult part was disconnecting the electric fan harness...simple process overall.