PDA

View Full Version : New offroad TV show

Brasscatz
11-30-2014, 09:17 PM
Anybody see this new show on the History channel called Alaska Off Road Warriors? Looks like it'd be pretty good. Too bad I haven't seen them with an XJ :D

http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors

XJ Wheeler
12-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Haven't caught it, mainly because that isn't on free tv. :p

drakan1908
12-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Watched it last night. Pretty good show.

Brasscatz
12-01-2014, 07:32 AM
Well luckily I think you can watch the full episode right here :D http://www.history.com/shows/alaska-off-road-warriors/videos/wolf-river-run

downsy
12-01-2014, 08:23 AM
Saved the link so I can watch episode 1 tonight when I get home from work. :)

xj-jake
12-01-2014, 08:58 AM
I watched it last night. It was alright. I'm hoping it will get a little better because it seemed a little lackluster to me but maybe I was expecting too much.

Brasscatz
12-01-2014, 10:29 AM
I think I would've liked it better if they didn't add the personality clash drama.... but then they wouldn't have ratings, I suppose

denverd1
12-01-2014, 10:52 AM
I think I would've liked it better if they didn't add the personality clash drama.... but then they wouldn't have ratings, I suppose

Ugh!! this whole reality tV thing is REALLY beating me down. I actually have some friends in Jacksonville TX that had their pilot shot a few months ago. They have a family business and supposedly it TV material. Every word is scripted, all the drama is fake. I got to watch some daytime TV last week while i got over a stomach bug. Soaps are more enjoyable to me at this point. at the least the thinly veiled bullshit isn't played off as real circumstance that we happened to have caught on camera. Sorry for the rant!!

Now these tools are trekking across alaska in off-road vehicles -> COOL!
And they're having fake arguments and starting fake shit with each other. STUPID!!!!

Can't wait for this entertainment fad to pass. Gold Rush, Duck Dynasty, Biggest Idiotic Loser, Deadliest Catch, Wicked Tuna, Country Bucks, Live free or die, the Voice - and all its copies, Pickled Rich (my friends show) all concocted bullshit. and the list goes on and on like a well maintained 4.0

HONEY BOO BOO!!! do people actually watch this shit!?!?!?

Sorry friends!!!!

abebehrmann
12-01-2014, 11:01 AM
I have this on the DVR although everything I've heard about the first episode doesn't give me much hope. A friend said they don't really seem prepared for the trip, open diffs, weak stock steering setups etc. From what I've heard a lot of the people on XJTalk might be set up a bit better than these guys.

I too hate the fake drama drummed up in reality shows. Just show me what the hell is in that storage locker/what you're trying to pawn/what is in that collector's house and keep the obviously fake arguments out of it.

Still excited to watch this show though.

cpttuna
12-01-2014, 09:48 PM
I just finished watching the show. Except for the couple in last place(hoping the others all break down) I will be surprised if they all don't break down. This race looks tougher than the BAJA 1000 and the vehicles don't look that tough. It was funny that the guys who had the radiator problem had to resort to using salt water. Not only did they not apparently have regular water with them, they also did not have any bottled water that they could have used either. I would have put my cooling system higher up on the list for ensuring I brought what might be necessary to keep it operating correctly.

downsy
12-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Watched the first episode. I mostly ignore the fake ass drama and watch the parts I really want to see. If the guy driving "Super Jeep" has really had it as long as he says he has, his vehicle probably has the best chance of making it.

Land Rover Defender steering I'm pretty sure goes infront of the axle. Why were they winching something straight that looked like it had an artificial joint put in it......behind the axle.

Silt water in your radiator? You knew you were embarking on a 100k off road challenge and you left with what would have been an OBVIOUSLY deficient cooling system?

A lot of the rigs look like some stuff that the average Joe put together in his garage which is something I like but as pointed out. All this "stuff" and a lot of them don't even appear to have lockers or even limited slips. You want to drive the length of Alaska from top to bottom and you bring gear like this?

I'll continue to watch it cause it's off road vehicles in Alaska but they really need to make it better or it's not going to last past season 1.

With all the smoking, wild folks, and mullets, I wonder if they're trying to play up the "Alaskan Redneck" theme a little.

xj-jake
12-02-2014, 08:24 AM
Yeah I wasn't overly impressed with how the rigs were built. And like you guys said the cooling system is faulty before they even start, seems pretty hokey to me. It'll probably be a good watch just for the scenery but I'm fairly certain any one of our rigs on here could make them look pretty bad. I was also surprised they have 4 rigs from Alaska and only 1 from the lower 48. It was a little disappointing to hear that. I thought maybe the producers would try to find people from different areas and get different types of wheelers on a show like this.

RocknXJ
12-02-2014, 09:42 PM
I watched it and hoped for better rigs. It's clearly not designed for anyone with wheeling experience but I'll still watch it like an asshat.

downsy
12-17-2014, 11:41 AM
About half way though episode 3. They're still harping on the "bent tie rod" which I think was scripted and a lie. Still entertaining, though I'm not sure how they plan onmaking it to the end. I foresee most of the vehicles falling apart before that point.

Brasscatz
12-17-2014, 09:58 PM
Lol, I'll be honest... I have only seen the first episode. I forgot when it actually comes on

4.3LXJ
12-17-2014, 10:34 PM
Ya gotta remember, this isn't really what it seems. There is a full video support crew along as well as all the logistics for them. It is well scripted and navigated out. After all, I haven't seen any of them look at a map yet

downsy
12-18-2014, 03:56 AM
The first two episodes they look at a map at the start of the day. That's aboot it.

I like how Butch or whatever his name is is deathly afraid of heights but apparently does a lot of off roading in Alaska.........

cpttuna
12-18-2014, 06:32 AM
Does anyone beside me think they are not carrying enough fuel to go 1000 miles? Remember the rules said they were only allowed what they were carrying on their vehicle. I don't see many fuel cans.

Brasscatz
12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
It would be nice if there was a true reality show. Survivor Man is the only one that I know of that actually doesn't use a camera crew and is truly alone out there

xj-jake
12-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Does anyone beside me think they are not carrying enough fuel to go 1000 miles? Remember the rules said they were only allowed what they were carrying on their vehicle. I don't see many fuel cans.

I was thinking that too and then remembered that they have a support crew with them. If you are wheeling for 1000 miles straight there's no way they'd be able to put the fuel in the vehicle that they need and all of their gear and parts etc... The last episode was a little better but I love how the mullet guy was whining about how much money it cost when they wrecked a tire. Idk it's good humor and gives me something to watch on Sunday nights besides the Vikings getting their butts kicked.

Go Seahawks

4.3LXJ
12-18-2014, 11:42 AM

Yes, you beat me to it. Honestly, even with my 30 gallon tank, I would have to carry another 50 gallons to feel safe in a "race" like this. Carrying a load like that would not be good in the XJ

denverd1
12-18-2014, 02:55 PM
It would be nice if there was a true reality show. Survivor Man is the only one that I know of that actually doesn't use a camera crew and is truly alone out there

It's about the only one I can tolerate. And I don't know how he does it. Just setting up a shot or two would sap all your energy when all you've had to eat for a week is termites. You can see the production quality drop as the challenge gets tougher. Day 8 with zero energy he doesn't do quite as many angles and as much narration! Mad respect for that dude.

Life below zero was cool for a while, some of those guys bust their asses - you can't script that shit. but it gets hokey pretty fast

reality tv: Thanks OJ!