PDA

View Full Version : Does this happen everywhere?

Pookapotamus
11-29-2014, 07:50 PM
So we just had a nice little winter storm up here in Calgary, all the roads are covered with ice and driving even with the jeep is kind of a challenge.

Now everywhere I go with Mort it seems like as soon as people see the jeep they have to try and go faster, pass out take off faster than me, now I'm not a super cautious driver or anything and I'm doing the speed limit. It just seems like people have the wrong attitude, I would think it would be more along the lines of " wow that built up jeep is going slow maybe I should slow down and drive safe too" not "look at that built up jeep, I bet my civic with bald ass summer tires can do better"

Just letting off some steam, rant over! 😄

autotech98
11-29-2014, 08:03 PM
I agree totally. We just had a couple inches here and it was the same way..then throw black friday into it too.......

XJ Wheeler
11-29-2014, 08:55 PM
That's how they drive here anytime. We drive a dually flatbed most of the time and it apparently looks like an obstacle because it happens everywhere that they race to get in front of us then slow down. It really isn't that bad to just slide over behind and be patient, its not like we go slow anyway. And who thinks its a good idea to cut off a 7k lbs truck with a prius?!

But i have come up with a reason, legitimately. I think its due to a lack of patience and a huge amount of selfishness. I've spent a lot of time on the road and recently walking in busy areas and i find that courtesy would only cost the individual around 2 seconds. I've had cars drive out in front of me while crossing the street when i have right of way, who should have waited... 2 seconds. Even had a golfcart with construction workers almost hit me because they weren't willing to wait for us to cross... 2 seconds. The all to prevalent cars that cut you off instead of getting in line behind you... 2 seconds. Red light runners... a little longer than 2 seconds but still wrong.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
11-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Amen brother. I taught my daughter to drive defencivly

Mayooo
11-29-2014, 10:46 PM
Same here.. Just this morning headed into work, 4am. Fresh snow on roads and I just took off my front driveshaft last night for a rebuild. My back axle is locked so it was a blast driving up a mountain road. After I was over that a small car came up behind and actually passed me. After riding my rear for a few miles.

nickyg
11-30-2014, 01:37 AM
Amen brother. I taught my daughter to drive defencivly

Me too!!! And evreyone knows The best defense is a good offense!!

Mudderoy
11-30-2014, 03:09 AM
So we just had a nice little winter storm up here in Calgary, all the roads are covered with ice and driving even with the jeep is kind of a challenge.

Now everywhere I go with Mort it seems like as soon as people see the jeep they have to try and go faster, pass out take off faster than me, now I'm not a super cautious driver or anything and I'm doing the speed limit. It just seems like people have the wrong attitude, I would think it would be more along the lines of " wow that built up jeep is going slow maybe I should slow down and drive safe too" not "look at that built up jeep, I bet my civic with bald ass summer tires can do better"

Just letting off some steam, rant over! 😄

Not much ice and snow in S.E. Texas, but I have had a few times that people want to race me. REALLY?!?!? 500+ extra pounds in armor and winch, etc.. and a straight 6 cylinder. I just drift over into their lane, they honk and leave. :P

Philxj4L
11-30-2014, 04:24 AM
Happens in the UK too, I've been driving as fast as feels safe, they some fool in his flash Range Rover sport on ultra low profile road rubber will come barreling past, or complete idiots in 'hot hatches' (ricers in the U.S.) doin the same, and tryin to look cool for their girlfriend sitting beside them. They won't look so cool when they're wrapped round a tree !

4.3LXJ
11-30-2014, 10:15 AM
It happens here too Dana. You can predict which ones will end up in the ditch. I have a yearning to wave at them as I go by :P

Pookapotamus
11-30-2014, 12:02 PM
We have a lot of rig rockets up here, they are huge offenders, but I think the biggest culprits are tiny suv's and higher end cars. I think they get a sense of entitlement and think they can do anything.

Oi! People!

If I win billions I'm buying land and only moving jeepers in! 😛

bluedragon436
11-30-2014, 12:41 PM
Before I lost my 98 I noticed people doing this... I did have a few that would get in behind me when there was snow on the ground and ride my ass trying to stay in the packed down snow track I had just made.. but did have one that passed me and I mean blew past me... and the only thought that popped into my head was I hope you end up wiping out and not hurt any other innocent person with your stupidity..

Sure enough about two miles down the highway there was the young man who thought his 4wd truck was impervious to loosing traction or crashing on the snow, dipped down into a small ditch on the side of the road... Myself and a few other Jeepers that were together just drove by in our coutious speed and honked.... We all talked about it and said that we should have stopped and would have been more then fine with it, to help him out of the ditch.. but wanted the cops to show up and take a report that way maybe he'll slow his a$$ down the next time when he has to think about the possible ticket, tow fees, and higher insurance... Funny thing about it was... we drove back by headed the other direction about an hour later, and the truck was still in the ditch, and there was a tow truck there... looking like he was not about to help this guy out... so we took the next exit and turned back... about the time we were all there the cop showed up (apparently the tow truck said he wasn't touching it till a police officer showed up)... the cop looked at the tracks leading up to the truck and pretty much knew what was up.. then he came and talked to us and asked us what was up... we told him about the guy blowing past us about an hour earlier before he ate it.... needless to say the tow tuck wasn't able to get the guy out... but a few Jeeps later and the guy had his truck back on the road, a nice hefty fine from the police, and still had to pay for the tow trucks attempt and time that he had been sitting there waiting for the police... I imagine he was a bit pissed that day and might have still driven like an ass on his way to wherever he was in a rush to get too... But hope that he might have slowed down and driven like a respectable person from then on out.. at least in in climate weather...

4.3LXJ
11-30-2014, 01:35 PM
We have a lot of rig rockets up here, they are huge offenders, but I think the biggest culprits are tiny suv's and higher end cars. I think they get a sense of entitlement and think they can do anything.

Oi! People!

If I win billions I'm buying land and only moving jeepers in! 😛

I hear ya on the SUVs. The problem is that they have gotten safer on snow and ice. Tires have more sipes in them, traction control etc. They can go faster on slick stuff. But when they break loose, they are toast. There is no saving it. Watched a Youtube vid of one on Hwy 97 on OR, a place I have driven through many times with snow and ice. It just slowly lost it on a straight stretch and ended up becoming an explosion when a semi hit it coming the other way.

zombiedog29
09-07-2016, 04:58 PM
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zombiedog29
09-07-2016, 05:11 PM
Quote]

4.3LXJ
09-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Having some trouble Zombiedog?

zombiedog29
09-07-2016, 05:14 PM
Yep! Phone or operator. Sorry.

4.3LXJ
09-07-2016, 05:16 PM
Have you tried using tapatalk?

zombiedog29
09-07-2016, 05:25 PM
Yes, I have the app. Couldn't figure out how I posted a reply in the first place, then tried to delete after the fact and well it kinda snowballed. I blame the phone.

cpttuna
09-08-2016, 03:20 AM
Just my $ .02. It took a lot more training back in my day to prepare to get your license than it does now. We had to take a semester driver training course in school and at least the guys knew way more about cars than the kids now a days. Even my boys I think have that mentality That I just get in, turn the key and drive. Defensive driving stressed more when I took classes.

Pinkyman
09-08-2016, 07:18 AM
I hate the a**hole drivers in MN, especially in the winter. People are just all in a hurry with an "Im better than you" attitude.

Ugh, 2 more months of nice driving........ Then i get to deal with leaving an hour earlier, because people are dumb.