PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip to Alaska

07Negative
11-29-2014, 03:07 PM
A few friends and I are planning a trip to Alaska in the 2016 calender. We'll be heading to the most northern point up there. If anyone is interested in going. Let me know. It wont be a ton a hardcore wheeling. So mainly all you'll need is a set of good tires and camping gear. We're thinking 2-3 weeks trip. Leaving from the Bay Area CA. We have not set a date yet.
It's a long fricking drive. I've done it once in another Jeep and on motorcycle. But it's a blast. Canada is great to drive through and Alaska will throw your hair back.
We'll be filming it, as my buddy has pro gear. And we're looking to start a website. Something like ExpoPortal, just with our take and perspective.
For 2015, I'll be headed back east like I was suppose to do in 2014. But now I'm getting my junk together. I wanna see if I can hit 700K+ miles on this Jeep. I'm half way there.

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 03:45 PM
Sounds like fun. I always wanted to make that drive. Of course it would depend on funds

07Negative
11-29-2014, 04:35 PM
That's why we are planning out so far ahead of time. Money is stupid tight for me these days, after loosing 2 of my part time jobs. But fuel is the main cost. I'm thinking about $500-700 in petrol and oil changes.
I think for the most part. We're going to be shacking up in our jeeps and camp and budget for low dollar hotels if ever need be. And I suppose I should budget for stuff that could possibly break along the way.

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 04:37 PM
I find after about 4 days, I am ready for a real shower etc. I was planning on an exo cage. I have also been thinking about a roof top tent etc to make the XJ an real overlander

slvmart
11-30-2014, 04:53 PM
Did the round trip, from Chicago area, back in 1987 with my wife. We took a month and toured the Yukon and Alaska in our 1979 Dodge van. Return trip we took the Alaska Marine Highway (Ferry) and stopped in Juneau and several other places along the way. Got off at Prince Rupert, B.C. When we got home we were about 25 miles short of 10K for the trip.

IMO, if you only take 2 - 3 week, you really can't do a trip like that justice. But I know most people can't swing a month off of work.

Hoping to make a return trip sometime in the future.

HeepJr
11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Seems fun i would be in! but i would probably have to meet up somewhere else maybe half way up not planning on driving all the way down to the bay area to go back up xD if you get better details like the route your going to take and stops your going to make i'm all for it give me and my girl a fun adventure and my little girls first big trip!

WhileInTheWild
12-08-2014, 11:52 AM
If the timing works we might be in as well, it is extra long for us though coming from Houston, it takes forever to just get out of TX. I really wanted to do the south bound leg of the trip first all the way down to Patagonia seeing how they have a ferry across the Darien Gap now but my Colombian wife doesn't think it is safe to drive through some of the countries down there so I figure we will do the northern section first and hope that things improve down there (one can hope but I know it is a pipe dream) enough so she feels comfortable doing it within a few years.

Dumajones
12-08-2014, 01:52 PM
If you guys do the ferry through Southeast AK let me know..We can meet as the ferry sits for an hour and loads ppl.. You are allowed to get off the ferry and walk around the port. Juneau Ak(where Im at) Has no roads to it, all of Southeast AK is Like that. You get on a ferry at Bellingham WA, take the ferry to Hains or Skagway.. All of Southeast is by ferry, unless you do the Alcan highway in Canada then you just pass all of Southeast AK..