PDA

View Full Version : Frame crack at Track bar mount

prerunner1982
11-26-2014, 04:11 PM
Appears my "frame" is cracking just ahead of my trackbar mount. After I get it welded up I would like to add some support in there so I am coming to you guys for ideas. I have enough metal to add in there but with the track bar mount going up both sides of the "frame" what would be the best way to tie in the additional metal?

Josh (NW99XJ) I know you went through something similar but you have an after market track bar mount correct? Insight?

Thanks.

4.3LXJ
11-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Jon, to start, drill a hole in the end of the cracks and weld. I cover this in a Jeep Garage pod cast, but I think it has yet to be aired. Do that first

bluedragon436
11-26-2014, 06:11 PM
Yeah was going to say you def want to stop drill that crack before welding or covering over the cracked portion... that way it won't continue to spread.. What kind of track bar mount you got that covers both sides of the frame??

prerunner1982
11-26-2014, 06:15 PM
yeah... for some reason I thought it went up both sides... but none the less the cracking is on the underside of the frame and starting to come around the outside... both sides that the track bar bracket mounts to.

bluedragon436
11-26-2014, 06:26 PM
yeah... for some reason I thought it went up both sides... but none the less the cracking is on the underside of the frame and starting to come around the outside... both sides that the track bar bracket mounts to.

Wasn't trying to say you were wrong... just wanted to know.. figure having that better beefier bracket might be nice..

slvmart
11-27-2014, 06:26 AM
Maybe a option, once your repair the basic damage.
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/mj-xj-cherokee-zj-grand-cherokee-track-bar-conversion/