PDA

View Full Version : 88 Durometer Poly Bushing

Mudderoy
11-25-2014, 08:32 AM
I get it's the thing that goes in my Ironman4x4fab upper control arms and it's that flexible bit, but WHAT THE HELL DOES 88 Durometer Poly mean?

I need to replace the bushings in my UCA (at least) so I'm trying to find out what these are, where to get them and how to size them.

xj-jake
11-25-2014, 08:45 AM
Hey I know these aren't exactly what you're looking for but I just replaced my UCA bushings with these.

http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=IROR&Product_Code=RE3792&Category_Code=UP

Super easy to change (did them by myself in about 40 minutes) and they're rebuildable for around $12. Just a thought.

4.3LXJ
11-25-2014, 10:12 AM
Tony, poly material comes in different densities. The durometer is a thingy that pushes on it and makes it deflect. The higher the number, the harder the poly. Check this link.

http://www.plasticsintl.com/polyhardness.htm

88 is a high number for poly, so that is a stiff poly. Andy uses a pretty stiff bushing in his track bars for obvious reasons. A lower number would transmit less vibration to the unibody from the engine at idle

Mudderoy
11-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Tony, poly material comes in different densities. The durometer is a thingy that pushes on it and makes it deflect. The higher the number, the harder the poly. Check this link.

http://www.plasticsintl.com/polyhardness.htm

88 is a high number for poly, so that is a stiff poly. Andy uses a pretty stiff bushing in his track bars for obvious reasons. A lower number would transmit less vibration to the unibody from the engine at idle

So if I needed a replacement I have to measure the diameter of the hole, what about width? Also any idea what "stock" durometer is?

4.3LXJ
11-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Just match diameters. Length can be adjusted with a hack saw. It will cut nicely. I think you can also use a lathe to machine it down

XJ Wheeler
11-25-2014, 10:58 PM
Does Andy not offer replacements?

Mudderoy
11-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Does Andy not offer replacements?

He has some listed on the web site but I haven't been able to get him to verify that they are the ones I need. They are in the "Builders Parts" section. Chances are good they are the right ones but I'd like to have a better idea before ordering them. Also I might want to go with something softer and remove some of the vibrations.

XJ Wheeler
11-26-2014, 03:38 AM
He has some listed on the web site but I haven't been able to get him to verify that they are the ones I need. They are in the "Builders Parts" section. Chances are good they are the right ones but I'd like to have a better idea before ordering them. Also I might want to go with something softer and remove some of the vibrations.

I hear ya. He is a pretty busy guy. I think the same ones come in his motor mounts by the looks of it. If you find some softer ones post it up. Once i get my mounts installed i may want a little more isolation.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.