PDA

View Full Version : Oil in Muffler!

thebyus
11-24-2014, 08:16 PM
Was having a cage installed on the heap, and figured while it was in the shop I'd replace the glasspack with something quieter for the long road-trips.

When they took the glasspack off, they called me and said that I have oil in my old muffler!

When I drive it, I have NO smoke of any color, from the exhaust or anywhere else. I do SMELL oil burning, but there is no smoke, so I just assumed it was a drip onto the exhaust somewhere. Shop's thinking was that the oil in the muffler is blowby past the piston rings, but I have NOTHING indicating loose rings or cylinders; no knocking/slapping, no low oil pressure, and I am not burning through oil, etc. I even asked if it was OIL they found or just water/soot. They were sure it was oil.

It's an XJ, 2001, with 190K on it, original 4.0IL V6. Has plenty of power and acceleration, even rolling 35's on 4.56.

Anyone seen/heard of this before? Any solid thoughts on what it ACTUALLY is? I've seen/heard rings, valve seals, and valve stem guides, but ALL seem to be indicated by SMOKE, which I don't have.

Assuming it is the piston rings, if I keep oil in it, can I just keep driving it, or am I likely to throw a rod?

4.3LXJ
11-24-2014, 10:15 PM
Are they sure it wasn't moisture mixed with carbon?

nickyg
11-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Are they sure it wasn't moisture mixed with carbon?

That's what I was thinking. I don't think oil would make it down to the muffler. Oil + heat = smoke. That's how sky writing planes do it at the air show.

4.3LXJ
11-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Nicky, you missed your chance here. The oil is for the muffler bearings :D

nickyg
11-25-2014, 10:32 AM
Nicky, you missed your chance here. The oil is for the muffler bearings :D

Sorry, I thought everyone knew that you don't oil your muffler bearings you grease em

Mudderoy
11-25-2014, 10:57 AM
Sorry, I thought everyone knew that you don't oil your muffler bearings you grease em

The muffler usually goes bad first, but if the bearing wears out it will deposit oil in the muffler...

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/21769.jpg

ArmyGuy45
11-25-2014, 04:57 PM
Could be a cracked block, just saying.