PDA

View Full Version : Hemi engine

denverd1
11-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Looking at a Grand with the Hemi. How reliable is this engine? 60k on the clock. Car is impeccable. 2009 model. How many miles can I reasonably expect?. Will keep it stock for a while then start throwing parts at it:D

bluedragon436
11-23-2014, 05:54 PM
I have an 09 Ram with the Hemi and it seems to be pretty reliable thus far... Never had any issues out of the 04 Hemi Ram that my ex wife and I used to pull horses with.. I will say if you get it, save up the money and pick yourself up an MBRP exhaust for it.. got the full titanium exhaust on my 09 Ram and love the sound...

denverd1
11-23-2014, 09:07 PM
Hell yea blue! How many miles on it?

Also, it looks like it would fit under the hood of an XJ. Just sayin

bluedragon436
11-23-2014, 10:22 PM
Can't remember how many were on the 04 Ram, and I'll have to look here in a bit when I'm in my 09 on the way to the gym for the milage... I'm running the MBRP exhaust, a hand laid carbon fiber intake and a tuner on my 09, and love it... Hauled my 01 MR-S down to SC from DE on a heavy ass U-haul trailer and got 18-19mpg, and that wasn't being all that gentle on the skinny pedal... I like that the exhaust has a nice tone to it when I'm just cruising about, but sounds like Nascar when I want to get on it... especially under overpasses and through tunnels!! Would love to have the HEMI powa in my XJ... and especially have that rumble when you are getting on it out on the trail!!

denverd1
11-24-2014, 03:30 PM
sounds like a modern engine with good life expectancy. 150 to 200k with standard maintenance.

XJ Wheeler
11-27-2014, 04:23 AM
Post up if you get it. I was always a bit harsh on those because they took the straight axle away with that model but they're growing in me and look pretty mean modified. Plus with a hemi and prices coming down sounds like a cool project.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

bluedragon436
11-27-2014, 04:08 PM
I do hate that they took away the straight axle on them... But they are really nice to drive, very comfortable and do look mean as hell with a decent lift, some nice rims/tires... I don't know that I'd wheel one... at least not till they are far cheaper and someone has mastered SFA swap on them...

denverd1
11-29-2014, 01:15 PM
Will be my daily/tow vehicle. Only a few lifts available and 2.5 seems to be the max, which is about as far as I'd want to take it anyway. more than likely would level it, put 33s on some hugely back spaced rims. Prolly 16s so my trail rig can and daily can share rubber. Would like to do 18 in rims. .. but seems wise to be able to swap tires over. Any thoughts??

Still need to yank my boat around to see how it handles almost 6k of weight.

The guy called and said his 2015 is ready so I need to do something.

Anybody want to buy a 2010 Tundra?

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 02:10 PM
Personally, I would put in a D30 from a WJ in place of IFS. Take some fabbing, but it would make a good vehicle. Also you could use a WJ. The 4.7 will go to 330 hp with factory 08 parts

denverd1
11-29-2014, 02:27 PM
I may do that eventually, got one in the garage. It will stay stock for quite a few miles.

Also will look into air bagging the rear to help distribute the load

denverd1
11-29-2014, 02:29 PM
I may do that eventually, got one in the garage. It will stay stock for quite a few miles.

Also will look into air bagging the rear to help distribute the load
Will probably put a tuner on it to wake up the engine. Hemi is 5.7. 330 huh? I like that!!!

Maybe a flow hushpower for exhaust
Any other mods I should look into? Prolly CAI the intake....

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Not sure on the 5.7 The 4.7 we are playing will go to 330 hp. You have to change the heads and intake to do it with stuff from an 08. Not sure how high the Hemi will go on hp

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 02:42 PM
here is a link for you

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/new-mopar-hemi.html

denverd1
11-29-2014, 02:57 PM
I'm not aware of your 4.7. Share a link, those are great numbers for a 4.7. Any pressure on it?

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 03:05 PM
Chrysler PowerTech engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/47.html

denverd1
11-29-2014, 04:40 PM
cool. I misunderstood, thought you were building one. 330 ft/lbs not, HP right? its what matters anyway...

denverd1
11-29-2014, 06:24 PM
Post up if you get it. I was always a bit harsh on those because they took the straight axle away with that model but they're growing in me and look pretty mean modified. Plus with a hemi and prices coming down sounds like a cool project.

I know IFS is not preferred for big torque, but for a light duty wheeler I think it will work just fine. I know Fords last solid axle 3/4 ton truck was made in 1995 or so. What makes IFS so bad?? My Tundra is IFS and every other current front axle setup is as well.

Prolly cheaper for makers. And really limits upgrade options so I'm not a fan. Just curious where the reputation got bad

XJ Wheeler
11-29-2014, 06:49 PM
I know IFS is not preferred for big torque, but for a light duty wheeler I think it will work just fine. I know Fords last solid axle 3/4 ton truck was made in 1995 or so. What makes IFS so bad?? My Tundra is IFS and every other current front axle setup is as well.

Prolly cheaper for makers. And really limits upgrade options so I'm not a fan. Just curious where the reputation got bad

Well, solid axles are stronger by design. A solid piece moving as one versus a slew of usually cast aluminum parts articulating. A lot of the newer ifs systems use aluminum center sections as well.

But with lifting they are limited on how high you can go till you have to move the center section down too so that necessitates a complex and expensive mount to lower it. And usually when wheeling the alignment gets thrown off. And as far as capability ifs systems, factory type particularly, don't flex like a solid axle will. And they don't have the easier opportunities to gain more like straight axles.

Lift kits are usually much more expensive as well. A 4.5" kit can be had for a xj or xj for as low as around $500, but a wk is $2500 and very few make any for it.

Also, Ford and Dodge still use solid axles in their 3/4 & 1 ton 4x4 trucks. Now, half tons, solid axles haven't been available in any trucks since '01 with the ram.

bluedragon436
11-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I like the 5.7 Hemi (second Gen).. in the 09 Ram (and I would suspect the same model is in the GC as well)... starts off @ 390HP/407ft lb. stock... I know that the Challenger in 09 was down to 375hp.. which I think was kind of funny... figured the higher HP would have been found in the Challenger... reminds me to swap engines out if/when I pick up a Challenger... or even more so maybe I should find a 6.1L Hemi I can swap into my Ram... lol

autotech98
11-30-2014, 04:42 AM
My wifes 06 is all wheel drive with the 3.7 and it moves ! Cant even imagine what the hemi does

4.3LXJ
11-30-2014, 10:00 AM
The real drawback with the IFS is articulation. They just don't flex well

denverd1
11-30-2014, 09:29 PM
ok, got it. Should be fine for a DD and tow rig. I'll SAS later on...

also I put $500 on it today. Guess I'm getting a Grand.

bluedragon436
11-30-2014, 10:00 PM
ok, got it. Should be fine for a DD and tow rig. I'll SAS later on...

also I put $500 on it today. Guess I'm getting a Grand.

Look forward to seeing pics of the new Grand!!