PDA

View Full Version : Lift-gate glass ~ What year do I have?

Crist Clapper
11-22-2014, 05:06 PM
I had the lift-gate glass replaced... But it doesn't match the old. The wires in the old went straight-across... The new (represented below) has an opening in the wire(s) that appear to be for a third-brake-light (AKA: ET light) which I don't have.

Is this glass for different years?

http://i873.photobucket.com/albums/ab291/clapperc/Presentation1-2.png

4.3LXJ
11-22-2014, 05:07 PM
You might have gotten the one size fits all glass. Yes it should not have that brake in it

XJ Wheeler
11-22-2014, 08:00 PM
They put a third brake light on beginning in '94 and the last year for it in that location was '96. In '97 it moved to the top of the liftgate.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Crist Clapper
11-23-2014, 08:47 AM
I figured it had to be something like this... Thanks!

They put a third brake light on beginning in '94 and the last year for it in that location was '96. In '97 it moved to the top of the liftgate.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

Crist Clapper
11-25-2014, 06:51 PM
No luck in finding the correct one as yet... If you-all have any ideas... I'm listening!

Crist Clapper
12-04-2014, 05:38 PM
The existing tailgate-glass is at a shop to be polished. If this does not work... I'm thinking of adding the 3rd brake-light. I looked quickly thru my parts catalog and can't find the interior trim panel with the 3rd brake-light thingy. Different panel? An add-on? Help?

Pookapotamus
12-04-2014, 06:02 PM
I believe it is an add on with two holes drilled in the standard trim panel, you would have to add the wiring as well, but would look fine and hard to tell it did not come from the factory like that.

I have a couple of spare hatch glasses in my attic, I will try to remember to take a look at them to see if they have the third light in the defogger or not.

Crist Clapper
12-04-2014, 07:05 PM
:thanx:

I believe it is an add on with two holes drilled in the standard trim panel, you would have to add the wiring as well, but would look fine and hard to tell it did not come from the factory like that.

I have a couple of spare hatch glasses in my attic, I will try to remember to take a look at them to see if they have the third light in the defogger or not.