PDA

View Full Version : Power vs. hand winch

Tonyamx
11-22-2014, 10:31 AM
What are your thoughts on winches ? I bottomed out a couple of weekends ago, having a power winch on the front would not have helped - more of the same to get thru and not a tree in site. However, several good trees behind me & a way out ! luckily someone came along and gave me a pull. Thinking about a good hand winch / comealong - they seem a little more multifunctional

Mudderoy
11-22-2014, 10:45 AM
What are your thoughts on winches ? I bottomed out a couple of weekends ago, having a power winch on the front would not have helped - more of the same to get thru and not a tree in site. However, several good trees behind me & a way out ! luckily someone came along and gave me a pull. Thinking about a good hand winch / comealong - they seem a little more multifunctional

I like the idea of both! You never know when the power breaks, or you don't have power. Also a nice manual winch would work well in the back, unless you want to carry a winch for the rear, or have one and a 2" receiver forward and aft.

4.3LXJ
11-22-2014, 10:48 AM
They work, I have used them. But bear in mind you need one that is rated at a minimum of 2 tons. The small ones are not small enough. But on the other hand, let me expand your thinking a little on winching. First, if there is brush in reach, you can use that. Hook to the base naturally. If you can cinch up on it so the strap or cable won't slip you would be surprised what you can winch out of. The other thing is a winch anchor. It is used extensively in Australia in soft soil, including sand. Ask Cantab27 about his. He uses it in winch competitions.

Mudderoy
11-22-2014, 10:57 AM
They work, I have used them. But bear in mind you need one that is rated at a minimum of 2 tons. The small ones are not small enough. But on the other hand, let me expand your thinking a little on winching. First, if there is brush in reach, you can use that. Hook to the base naturally. If you can cinch up on it so the strap or cable won't slip you would be surprised what you can winch out of. The other thing is a winch anchor. It is used extensively in Australia in soft soil, including sand. Ask Cantab27 about his. He uses it in winch competitions.

I looked around for a winch anchor, too big and too expensive. :(

4.3LXJ
11-22-2014, 10:59 AM
A large come along and extra cable or chain is not small either

dansmurf
11-22-2014, 07:59 PM
I had a winch on the front of my 91 xj. Just a $300 12k lb badlands winch on sale at harbor freight. It worked pretty good. On my 01 I plan on having 2 inch receivers front and rear. That way I can put the winch on the front before I go on the trails but have the option to swap it to the rear. I also keep a hand winch in the back just as backup.

drakan1908
11-22-2014, 09:09 PM
I was thinking about one of these with the rope. https://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp

4.3LXJ
11-22-2014, 10:01 PM
That is what I was thinking of too

KMW-NWXJ
11-22-2014, 10:37 PM
I was thinking about one of these with the rope. https://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp
I get the thought of something that doesn't rely on power, but for the price of that you could have a 12,000 lb electric winch with over three times the reach. And it would work ok if you are just barely stuck, but if you are really stuck, even 6000 lbs may not be much pull, depending on your vehicle.

cantab27
11-23-2014, 02:04 AM
well I don't get stuck .....much ......hi lift jack can work as a hand winch ..

Winching with the Hi-Lift Jack - YouTube

there are better vids out there ....ground anchor all good but is a big bit of gear to haul around ...there are smaller ones around ie more compact pull down screw in the ground types .....can dig a hole in ground and throw spare tire in hole bury winch out ....blocks and pulleys and be surprised on what angle you can pull on .......

drakan1908
11-23-2014, 08:43 AM
I get the thought of something that doesn't rely on power, but for the price of that you could have a 12,000 lb electric winch with over three times the reach. And it would work ok if you are just barely stuck, but if you are really stuck, even 6000 lbs may not be much pull, depending on your vehicle.
True you could get a elec. winch for that price but then add a good winch bumper and you are talking a $1000 or better not counting the extra weight. The 3 ton unit with rope weighs 24 lbs. Lol my Grand already weighs enough. The drag/ pull weight on the large one is 12000 lbs double line plus you could pull from front or rear.

Mayooo
11-23-2014, 08:17 PM
I looked around for a winch anchor, too big and too expensive. :(

Go to the hardware store and get some 3/4 rebar. Cut it into 3" sections. Pound the rebar into the ground in a slight angle pointed away from the vehicle. About 4-5 bars will do. Take a chain and thread the links thru the rebar. Hook the winch line to the chain. And you got yourself a cheap strong anchor.

cantab27
11-23-2014, 08:32 PM
Go to the hardware store and get some 3/4 rebar. Cut it into 3" sections. Pound the rebar into the ground in a slight angle pointed away from the vehicle. About 4-5 bars will do. Take a chain and thread the links thru the rebar. Hook the winch line to the chain. And you got yourself a cheap strong anchor.

yep nice and easy system .....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/329363-winch-anchors.html