PDA

View Full Version : Just a random thought …..

4.3LXJ
11-21-2014, 01:05 PM
We have been promoting the NoCo Genius Boost for awhile now. The question I have is: Can this be used in place of a regular car battery in our Jeeps?

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius Boost GB30 12V UltraSafe Lithium Jump Starter: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pvvFafZvL.@@AMEPARAM@@51pvvFafZvL

Theoretically it has the capacity and is cheaper than an Optima by far. Not to mention smaller and lighter. So what do you think?

OrangeXJ
11-21-2014, 03:34 PM
I would think a winch would fry it

denverd1
11-21-2014, 03:37 PM
looks too smart for me. kinda like a digital batt charger. sometimes less is more.

Cool thought on it as a bank though

Brasscatz
11-21-2014, 10:12 PM
Hmmm.... interesting thought Steve. I'd be interested in the answer to that as well.

4.3LXJ
11-21-2014, 10:14 PM
One thing I don't know is how fast you can charge one. For instance an Optima can take a charge at almost any rate. Conventional batteries less because they develop heat. I don't even know how charge these

bluedragon436
11-22-2014, 01:56 AM
That might be an interesting question to bring up with the manufacturer... I would think that a winch (especially a full pull usage) and excessive auxiliary lighting might not work so well for this little guy... but would still be something interesting to look into for sure... especially if it would in fact work for our usage.. I wonder if nothing else to install it as an added battery... so say for a dual battery setup, have your standard battery, and this installed like a second battery setup... That way it could just pick up the slack from the first, but might allow it to stand up to winch and auxiliary lighting better...

Brasscatz
11-22-2014, 08:28 PM
I may be looking at this wrong, but wouldn't the alternator be the biggest thing that a winch and lighting would draw from? I know it'll draw from the battery a bit, but I didn't think that much.

4.3LXJ
11-22-2014, 08:30 PM
The biggest draw is from the battery. That is unless you have a 400 amp alternator. However, you need to keep the engine running to keep the system voltage up so that if you draw the battery down, the engine will not stall and not restart

Brasscatz
11-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Gotcha. I've still got a lot to learn, that's for sure

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

abebehrmann
11-24-2014, 08:06 AM
I know I've read on the reviews of other similar products that you need to unhook as soon as you can after starting the vehicle because the output of the alternator is too much for it and can overload it after a while.

4.3LXJ
11-24-2014, 10:32 AM
Ah, that settles it. Oh well.