PDA

View Full Version : All this airbag stuff has got me thinkin'. . . .

Red Octopus
11-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Everyday airbags are more 'n more in the news. . . .
Is there any way to find out who has made/supplied airbags for the various year XJ Cherokee's ?
I mean, they just sit there and you gotta wonder does it work? Will it work? Will in work correctly? I still have some shrapnel in me and I don't need more.
Is there anyway to test'em?

:smiley-scared003:

WhiteDevil1311
11-19-2014, 06:40 PM
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects

downsy
11-21-2014, 01:22 AM
Don't worry about it. Or worry about it and remove it and install an aftermarket wheel. Age is going to have it's effects on objects including safety devices.

Paddletrucker
11-29-2014, 11:38 AM
I'd LOVE to remove mine and get an aftermarket wheel. If I could just figure out how to keep my cruise control but move it from the wheel

4.3LXJ
11-29-2014, 11:49 AM
You would need an earlier column with the switch in it. But the wiring might give you some bad dreams

GoneWithTheWind
09-05-2015, 03:44 PM
Will removing my airbag prevent me from starting my 95 ? I'd like to take mine out and replace it w/a block of wood, but I'm worried the computer might miss it.

drakan1908
09-05-2015, 04:43 PM
Will removing my airbag prevent me from starting my 95 ? I'd like to take mine out and replace it w/a block of wood, but I'm worried the computer might miss it.
I don't know about that, a block of wood flying out would hurt worse than the bag........lol [emoji1]

sent from a van down by the river

GoneWithTheWind
09-05-2015, 05:27 PM
My guess is, if the fuse is missing and the engine starts, then the computer won't mind if the whole unit is missing. Would that be right? I don't want to take it out if I have to put it back. I'm going to redo my ground cables and thought I'd get rid of the bag at the same time.

GoneWithTheWind
09-06-2015, 12:15 PM
I guess I'll remove it and see what happens. :bang:

drakan1908
09-06-2015, 12:34 PM
My wife had a Forrester that the clock spring went bad and it just lit up the airbag warning light on the dash along with cruise and horn not working. So in your case it should only light up the warning light since it won't sense the bag. I don't think the computer has anything to do with the airbag, I think it is stand alone system. Of course if inspector finds out, it probably won't pass inspection.

sent from a van down by the river

GoneWithTheWind
09-06-2015, 01:46 PM
From what I've been told, we don't have to have one in Oregon. I thought I'd shape a piece of wood to fit in its place and have some nice woodgrain in my steering wheel.