PDA

View Full Version : Defrost not working :(

Dchurchill91
11-19-2014, 05:01 PM
so the switch lights up but it doesn't seem to be working..the rear wiper isn't working wither so im sure I can figure out the wiper issue with probing the switch and mollex plug by the motor but since the defrost switch lights up that means its sending power out correct?

4.3LXJ
11-19-2014, 05:04 PM
The switch lighting up doesn't mean the power is getting there.

NW99XJ
11-19-2014, 05:22 PM
I gotta state the obvious, but make sure you check all the fuses.
The harness that goes from the body to the rear gate is known to have breaks... most likely that's where your problem is.
If it was JUST the defrost I would say look at the connection where the wire meets the glass,...these often times break down, corrode or otherwise fail...as does the actual "elements" in the glass (those little thin brown stripes you see.)
But since you mentioned the rear wiper not working either, i'm pretty sure you have some broken wires that are going to need to be patched.
Good luck!

slvmart
11-19-2014, 06:24 PM
I believe that there is also a relay/timer in the circuit. The switch actually only activates the timer.
Here is the info from the 2000 manual :

Dchurchill91
11-19-2014, 06:43 PM
I was a car audio installer for 4 years and for some reason the speaker wires going through the boots to front doors always work hardened lol ill check them, just didn't think that would be an issue because the tailgate doesn't get used like the regular doors do. thank you for the advice...ill check asap

NW99XJ
11-20-2014, 10:28 AM
I was a car audio installer for 4 years....

Thats cool David, I was an installer for about a decade. Still hold my First Class MECP Cert. :smiley-taunt002:

Dchurchill91
11-20-2014, 09:41 PM
Thats cool David, I was an installer for about a decade. Still hold my First Class MECP Cert. :smiley-taunt002:

I'm not trying to measure dicks here, just saying im not the average 23 year old punk that hacks up harnessesaha

NW99XJ
11-21-2014, 08:46 AM
I'm not trying to measure dicks here, just saying im not the average 23 year old punk that hacks up harnessesaha

:smiley-laughing021: oh too funny man... good times.
No no , that wasnt my intention, just wanted to let you know your in good company and amongst fellow "installer brethren"