PDA

View Full Version : Forum Rules? Is It ok to post/copy threads & or pics from other sites?

TheMountainMan
11-19-2014, 12:49 AM
Hello, Im new here (actually being a member & posting), but have been "lurking"? for a while.
I'm not sure of the rules or "guide lines" of what is ok & whats not, as far as posting links, pics & other info from other sites/forums on to "xjtalk.com".
I've seen people get chewed on other sites for lots of diff reasons alot of which I can't figure out.
I just don't want to ruffle any feathers or cause problems, Everyone on here (xjtalk) has been very friendly, helpful & welcoming & I really appreciate it.

I want to keep a good name, so any pointers on what to do & not to do or the better ways to go about asking about threads or info from elsewhere would be much appreciated.
(asking about threads from other sites [If I could post a link] would make things much easier on me because I type a smokin' 3-5 words a min.)

Also would it be ok to post a "build/pre-build thread" before I start to get ideas, insight & opinions?
& Or where would be the best place to post to make a thread to ask for opinions/ideas w/out making a bunch of "what do you think" or "what is better" threads?

Sorry for such a long post. Thanks again for any help/insight!!

Oh there is some info about my plans with this XJ in the "New Member" thread.

Mudderoy
11-19-2014, 02:42 AM
I can just give you my opinion. I don't know the legal implications unless it's someone else's post. I'm assuming that would be a copyright problem. I mean if you grab someone else's picture and post it, but that happens a lot on the Internet. Doesn't make it right, but it's like buying a hot dog at the quicky mart, it's always a risk.

I look at it like if you have a build thread somewhere and you don't want to retype the whole thing, copy and paste. It was your story, your pictures, etc...

Say for example someone is having a problem, and you search the Internet and another site has a great answer. People have copied the answer, posted it and then give the link to the site where it came from. Like people do in literature, citing a source.

But like I said, I don't know, I just know what's been done in the past.

cantab27
11-19-2014, 02:42 AM
hello allen ......xjtalk was sent up with these very questions in mind ...tony he who should be obeyed set up the site to be a friendly non flaming jeep site ....the only stupid questions here are the ones not asked .....

nice jeep in here

http://www.nmoffroad.com/forumvb/showthread.php?t=10734&page=7

ask away post away .....

thanks

wayne

XJ Wheeler
11-19-2014, 05:32 AM
The thing about Xjtalk Allen is, we are different than the other forums out there. No flaming, no arguing, no telling others have been stupid by not knowing everything under the sun. We all started sometime, and some seem to forget that important fact. Whether you're a seasoned pro or a basic amateur we will do our best to help you in every way possible. As far as where to post you may click the post button at the top of any page on the site and we will move it for you or you may look through the forums page for the one that suits you best. The 'my build' forum is all about build threads so feel free to put yours up and questions are always welcome. The tech forum is also a great place to ask around with questions pertaining to your jeep. There are many other sections that are so diverse I can't possibly describe them here but fear not, we have a forum for everything. ;)

Any more questions, feel free to post them up.

4.3LXJ
11-19-2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Allen, nice discussion question. As far as copying a build thread, if you are the author of it on another site, that is your material. You can do with it what you want. As far as other material goes, if it is not formally copyrighted, then it is fair game. And even if it is, it is questionable whether it is a no no because you would not be personally profiting from it. And even then, if you cite a source that is copyrighted, which is done a zillion times a day, it is OK. So, post away.

nickyg
11-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Welcome Allen.

As far as legal implications go. You can't use anything with my name on it. Not because it's copyrighted or anything. I have bad credit and outstanding warrants.

denverd1
11-29-2014, 01:26 PM
Welcome Allen.

As far as legal implications go. You can't use anything with my name on it. Not because it's copyrighted or anything. I have bad credit and outstanding warrants.
And an assortment of tin foil hats.... hard to trust that Nickyg

Philxj4L
11-30-2014, 04:38 AM
Any of the UK forums I'm registered on (both Jeep only & all makes) have no issues with copying posts or parts of posts and posting on other forums, as its viewed as sharing info with like minded folk. There are a small number of forums who would get a bit pointy/shouty, I stay well clear of those, it's best for everyone concerned, as I am a bit intolerant of idiots ! :D

Mudderoy
11-30-2014, 07:59 AM
I know :xjtalk: has no problem with you sharing the information from our site. It would be great if you'd include where people could find us, of course.

Philxj4L
11-30-2014, 08:59 AM
I always quote the source if I've 'robbed' anything from other forums, it's good form. :) on this subject, there may be a few Land Rover 'lurkers' at the minute, that's who was looking for the info on the roof basket build thread. Rather than just copy/pasting the thread, I gave them a bit of work before they got the info, as I posted just the link to the thread. That's what they get for driving lardys. :D Lol.

4.3LXJ
11-30-2014, 10:17 AM
Instead of just sharing our info, I share the link to it instead. That way they have to visit our site and no one can whine about our info going elsewhere, not that this is an issue anyway

TheMountainMan
12-02-2014, 12:48 AM
Thanks for the tips. You all have been great. (especially dealing w/my forum ignorant self).
Pics is what I was really wondering about <include the source w/pic?)
Thanks again w/all the help.

4.3LXJ
12-02-2014, 10:25 AM
Nobody cites sources of pics unless it is to impress. Say stuff from certain vendors