PDA

View Full Version : Takes a few minutes for headlights

Mayooo
11-18-2014, 07:58 AM
I'm having a problem that I can't seem to locate. When I first turn on my headlights, it takes a few minutes for them to come on. They are not modded. Just standard headlights. All of my other lights come on as soon as I pull the switch. I've replaced the harness and the switch. Haven't tried the relay yet. Sometimes I can get them to turn on quicker if I rapidly push and pull the switch.

Any ideas before I start going thru relays?

Pookapotamus
11-18-2014, 09:20 AM
What year of xj? Could possibly be the daytime running light module, unplug it and see if that helps, it's about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 1 located on the pass fender, at the firewall.

Also try cleaning the headlight terminals they could be corroded.

Do the lights come on at all? Are they super dim at first? Or completely off.

NW99XJ
11-18-2014, 09:29 AM
Good advice there from pook there.... Great places to start.
We can troubleshoot this pretty easily, but its going to take a few steps.
Most likely its going to be a relay, or ground issue.
I was going to suggest an issue with the harness, but if you have already swapped that out, then that eliminates that i guess.

Mayooo
11-18-2014, 10:35 AM
Its a 94. No daytime running lights. All of the terminals and connectors are clean. The headlights are the only thing affected. They remain off for a few mins. Then they come on. No dimming. Just a few min delay from when I pull the switch till they come on. Wiring is 95% new. I replaced most Of it after it started. Thinking it would solve it. I'm leaning towards the relay box.

OrangeXJ
11-18-2014, 10:51 AM
head light switch maybe?

4.3LXJ
11-18-2014, 11:00 AM
If you are running a relay for the lights, then I would check two things to start. That the relay coil is getting current right away and that current is going out when it does. Verifying it gets current is easy with a test light or a meter.

Mayooo
11-18-2014, 01:51 PM
I replaced the switch with a new one.. Still doing it

4.3LXJ
11-18-2014, 01:54 PM
You will have to check for voltage to the components now to figure this out.

Mayooo
11-18-2014, 02:00 PM
When I checked them I was getting full voltage. That's what I'm confused about. I've traced and checked everything from the switch to the light.
This should be a straight forward diagnoses but for some reason it like rocket science.

It's driving me nuts

NW99XJ
11-18-2014, 02:03 PM
Swap out a light and see if it still does it.
Also disconnect one light and see if it still does it.
Then hook it back up, and do the same thing with the other side.
(process of elimination type stuff here.)
Once you do this, report back, and we'll go from there.

...And i know its not typical, but just because you swapped out a component recently, that doesn't mean its not bad. I have had sensors and other components (even new electronics) come out of the box bad from the get go. It's not likely, but it IS possible.

Pookapotamus
11-18-2014, 03:26 PM
Get a priest!

Cast out the demons!!!

Out demon OUT!!!

BEGONE FOUL BEAST!!!!

Dancing naked around a campfire couldn't hurt too!

slvmart
11-18-2014, 06:10 PM
I see you already replaced the switch. But I had a similar problem with my old '94 Dakota (also a Chrysler product) and it was the light switch. I never replaced it, just worked it a bunch of times, ON/OFF, and it was fine for another 5 years. Sorry yours isn't that easy.

OldFaurt
11-18-2014, 10:25 PM
I'm having a problem that I can't seem to locate. When I first turn on my headlights, it takes a few minutes for them to come on. They are not modded. Just standard headlights. All of my other lights come on as soon as I pull the switch. I've replaced the harness and the switch. Haven't tried the relay yet. Sometimes I can get them to turn on quicker if I rapidly push and pull the switch.

Any ideas before I start going thru relays?

Next time jiggle your ignition key in the on position!
When its cold, my headlights turn them selves off but a gentle jiggle brings them back, also adjust the tilt of the steering wheel down 1 notch. That might help. if it does, adjust the ignition switch under the dash.

Something to try!

rabies
11-20-2014, 01:11 PM
$8 headlight harness from ebay................fixes many headlight dramas

yw

Mayooo
12-11-2014, 11:28 AM
New harness, new lights, new switch (second one).. Same out come.. Then it stopped a few days ago. ???

rabies
12-11-2014, 12:23 PM
booster harness? clean contacts?

Mayooo
12-11-2014, 12:30 PM
booster harness? clean contacts?

I'm not sure what it is.. I've gone thru everything. Then just the other day they started to work correctly.

rabies
12-11-2014, 02:18 PM
H4 H4 Headlight Black Booster Wire Harness Hydg | eBay

it routes power right from the battery to relays...very very simple plug and play harness all cars need

NW99XJ
12-12-2014, 09:34 AM
it routes power right from the battery to relays...very very simple plug and play harness all cars need

Same as the Putco, LMC, or IPF Harnesses.
They all do the same thing.... route power directly from the battery to the headlights, thru relays that are triggered by the factory wiring.

NW99XJ
12-12-2014, 09:35 AM
But I'm sorry Mayoo.... This one has me a bit stumped... still seems like a sticky OEM relay, or bad ground... it has all the symptoms of those kind of issues anyways.

4.3LXJ
12-12-2014, 11:40 AM
It has me stumped too. I think Josh is on the right track

rabies
12-16-2014, 10:49 AM
if you had the $. depending on the year you can have a high-end shop plug in ALL-DATA to it and it will tell you everything like a car psychic

Mayooo
12-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Updating the post.
Been another week without any problems. Still confuse, but have thought about it. This problem went away after I hit the deer and started messing around with the repairs.
Will keep updating.

Mayooo
08-09-2015, 05:46 AM
Well here it is, August 9. 3/4 of a year after the lights started working again. The jeeps been a submarine afew times and all of the damage caused by the deer has been repaired. And the lights! Well they just keep working. I have know idea what caused them to stop and don't know what fixed it. Figured I would update the post since its been almost a year.

nickyg
08-09-2015, 08:24 PM
Well here it is, August 9. 3/4 of a year after the lights started working again. The jeeps been a submarine afew times and all of the damage caused by the deer has been repaired. And the lights! Well they just keep working. I have know idea what caused them to stop and don't know what fixed it. Figured I would update the post since its been almost a year.

GREMLINS!!!! If you don't feed them they tend to go away.

Mayooo
10-07-2015, 07:03 PM
Well my gremlin is back.. The other morning about 2am I was getting ready to head to work. Started the jeep and turned the headlights on and took the garbage to the driveway. As I walked back I realized my headlights did come on. Walked back into the house and came out and they where on. It was about 50* out. So here we go again.

4.3LXJ
10-07-2015, 09:03 PM
He has just been cold. He will work better later and the lights will not work at all :D