PDA

View Full Version : Block heater

Rlpetty43
11-18-2014, 05:59 AM
What block heater are y'all northern folks using, I would like to find something that will keep the block warm so it wont take as long to defrost in the mornings. Thanks

Pookapotamus
11-18-2014, 09:14 AM
I'm up in Calgary, but I'm not running a block heater, Mort parks in the heated garage!

Usually run one of the heaters that goes into the frost plug holes, but I have heard good things about the pan mounted heaters or the magnetic ones that stick to the bottom of the pan.

If I could afford it I would be running an espar heater, super expensive but circulates the coolant and can even turn on your heater fan to warm the inside!

Brasscatz
11-18-2014, 10:47 PM
Mine has a block heater but I know absolutely ZILCH about it.... because I'm in Houston :D

Rlpetty43
12-02-2014, 09:36 AM
so not to leave this thread open ended I ended up with a Kat's heaters engine heater par number 11611 from napa and will be installing it in a couple weeks while I have my front axle out.

denverd1
12-02-2014, 11:05 AM
i'm looking to wrap one of these around a toilet seat at the house. then run 12v to a solar panel outside. think that would work?

denverd1
12-02-2014, 03:47 PM
more seriously, there are tons of them out there. I'd put it low on the block so your oil is nice and viscous when you fire it up.

4.3LXJ
12-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Blanket over the hood and a hundred watt light bulb under the hood works very well too

denverd1
12-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Blanket over the hood and a hundred watt light bulb under the hood works very well too

used to drop a trouble light into the doghouse on my boat on chilly nights. Now putting a blanket over it -- isn't that just cute as can be!!

night night!!

4.3LXJ
12-03-2014, 11:48 AM
Tuck it in nicely and kiss it good night :D

bluedragon436
12-03-2014, 11:52 AM
i'm looking to wrap one of these around a toilet seat at the house. then run 12v to a solar panel outside. think that would work?

Can't hurt to try it... Would love to do it to the toilet at work... the bathroom is cold during the winters, and the toilet... well yeah... generally try and hold it till you get home if at all possible...

denverd1
12-03-2014, 01:22 PM
Can't hurt to try it... Would love to do it to the toilet at work... the bathroom is cold during the winters, and the toilet... well yeah... generally try and hold it till you get home if at all possible...

lesson I learned from current house: don't put a bathroom by an exterior wall. even though its heated, if the door is closed to the potty room its easily 20* cooler in the there. and the toilet seat feels like it just came in from outside.

Rlpetty43
12-07-2015, 08:21 AM
finally put in the block heater however it would not stay seated in the block, after the second time of it popping out I went back with a freeze plug. in my haste I do not put it in the recommended freeze plug location so I am thinking it may have been making slight contact (or close proximity) with the cylinder walls so when things heat up and expand it pushed it out. I may try it again in the correct location in the spring and summer when I can run straight water till I am certain I have no leaks.

denverd1
12-09-2015, 01:39 PM
Wait you're putting a block heater where your freeze plugs go??? Sorry but that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't mess with freeze plugs, they're there for a reason. Plenty of other ways to heat the block while leaving the freeze plugs alone

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

abebehrmann
12-09-2015, 01:46 PM
Wait you're putting a block heater where your freeze plugs go??? Sorry but that just sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I wouldn't mess with freeze plugs, they're there for a reason. Plenty of other ways to heat the block while leaving the freeze plugs alone

I was under the impression that's how most of them work. I think I remember seeing another type that warms the oil pan, but not sure how they compare.

Pinkyman
12-09-2015, 02:37 PM
Ive been looking at block heaters as well, since my XJ sits outside all winter, and only gets driven once a week or so.

Has anyone ever looked into these? I know the large diesel generators use them, and those things fire up and are at 80% capacity within like 10 seconds... The ones i used have a built in pump to keep the coolant circulating.

http://www.griggslawnandtractor.net/1000-watt-tank-style-block-heater-16-25quart?gclid=Cj0KEQiAv5-zBRCAzfWGu-2jo70BEiQAj_F8oKoSewVYw4zi2-Ix0WYoPxUBcHnhzFxNlRn-JbnVH4AaAk4c8P8HAQ

denverd1
12-09-2015, 04:07 PM
did some searching. didn't find one that was used in place of a freeze plug. just seems like a very finicky way to do it.

Pinkyman
12-09-2015, 04:09 PM
did some searching. didn't find one that was used in place of a freeze plug. just seems like a very finicky way to do it.

I believe he is referring to these:
https://www.google.com/search?q=jeep+xj+frost+plug+heater&espv=2&biw=713&bih=394&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwinjKql5c_JAhWM6IMKHTRwDAkQ_AUIBigA&dpr=1#q=jeep+xj+frost+plug+heater&tbm=shop

But yes, it does seem like one of the most complicated ways to accomplish the end result.

Rlpetty43
12-16-2015, 08:27 AM

most I have seen which most are in diesels it the main way they come from the factory.

denverd1
12-16-2015, 11:01 AM
factory installed is different than banging out a freeze plug in the driveway and putting a heater in. to each their own, but I wouldn't trust it

Rlpetty43
12-16-2015, 11:24 AM
It's the exact same one that Chrysler would have used, but I didn't have any luck with it which was most likely my fault as I did not use the correct location. I would like it in the block mainly cause I want the coolant to warm the block. the dipstick heater I would think just warm the oil in the pan and the block itself is still going to be cold. that's just my thoughts not they are worth much ha ha

denverd1
12-16-2015, 11:38 AM
It's the exact same one that Chrysler would have used, but I didn't have any luck with it which was most likely my fault as I did not use the correct location. I would like it in the block mainly cause I want the coolant to warm the block. the dipstick heater I would think just warm the oil in the pan and the block itself is still going to be cold. that's just my thoughts not they are worth much ha ha

then you need a heater in the lower radiator hose. it will warm the block.

denverd1
12-16-2015, 11:38 AM
look for coolant heater

gary63
12-19-2015, 09:57 AM
may have to try a espar have used block heaters in freeze plug and in bottom radiater hose and the one on the bottom of the oil pan. They do work freeze plug and pan work best BUT freeze plug one likes to leak and the oil pan one cooks your oil so you need to change it more often and at the end of the season do a flush to get the baked oil out of the pan.

4.3LXJ
12-19-2015, 01:02 PM
One of the best block heaters ever is the hundred watt incandescent light bulb under the hood with a blanket over it. Pain in the neck, but works well

denverd1
12-19-2015, 06:20 PM
One of the best block heaters ever is the hundred watt incandescent light bulb under the hood with a blanket over it. Pain in the neck, but works well
I like Christmas lights draped over the engine. Just don't forget they're in there!! [emoji13]

I did drive off with a battery charger hooked up the other day.. fail

gary63
12-25-2015, 02:05 PM
just put catnip under the hood cats will keep warm and it will perrrrrrr better than it ever has.

autotech98
12-26-2015, 04:22 PM
No block heater here in P.A. come to think of it no heater either......

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

XJ Wheeler
12-26-2015, 06:53 PM
80 here yesterday. Yep, winter in texas.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

autotech98
12-27-2015, 07:52 AM
70 here in pa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

denverd1
12-29-2015, 09:33 AM
just put catnip under the hood cats will keep warm and it will perrrrrrr better than it ever has.

at least 2 of my sister's cats met their demise catching a nap on the block of our suburban