PDA

View Full Version : Flutter/Rough Idle

JeepFreak
11-16-2014, 05:11 PM
So my XJ has had the most annoying, tiny, rough idle for the past few months and I can't fathom why. Runs fine (although the hole in the exhaust causes terrible gas mileage and is NOT the cause of the idle) but I just can't figure it out. I have new injectors since replacing the spark plugs and wires along with the distributor only helped a little. I'm not sure I want to replace them yet. I haven't done a compression test yet as I lack the tools for the test and am broke currently. Any suggestions? The whole upper part of the block is new from the lifters and pushrods upward.

nickyg
11-16-2014, 05:34 PM
I'm sure you checked it but I'm gonna throw it out there anyhow. Have you checked all the vacuum lines?
My Jeep had a funky idle problem along with poor acceleration. the best description I can give it felt like there was a banana in the tail pipe. It turned out to be a plastic shopping bag got sucked into the airfilter box.

JeepFreak
11-17-2014, 08:28 PM
I'm sure you checked it but I'm gonna throw it out there anyhow. Have you checked all the vacuum lines?
My Jeep had a funky idle problem along with poor acceleration. the best description I can give it felt like there was a banana in the tail pipe. It turned out to be a plastic shopping bag got sucked into the airfilter box.

Unfortunately, the vacuum lines are completely intact. I have no idea where to look next.

Pookapotamus
11-18-2014, 08:56 AM
Might be a stupid question, have you cleaned the throttle body and iac? A sticky iac (idle air control) could easily cause your issue, I think they are fairly cheep to replace but you can get a can of sensor safe throttle body cleaner, pull the iac and its housing and give it a good clean, also run some through the throttle body while the engine is running and clean out any deposits.

Also pull your plugs and check the condition of them, you might be running lean or rich and that will give you an idea of where to look next,

Good luck and keep us updated.

JeepFreak
11-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Plugs are new, along with the IAC, distributor, rotor and camshaft position sensor. I replaced the Injectors and they were the cause. One of them was leaking. Thanks guys.