PDA

View Full Version : Lower ball joints

Tobyspaw
11-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Been busy, having trouble getting lower ball joint to pop out. Do not have correct adapters for jeeps. Using rental tool from autozone.Tops are out no problem.Also new joints have teeth in them,not sure if they should or not. Any pointers here?2001 cherokee 4wd.

4.3LXJ
11-06-2014, 01:10 PM
Teeth? I haven't seen that. What brand?

NW99XJ
11-06-2014, 01:26 PM
I think by "teeth" he may be refering to the knurl on the sides of the ball joint that press into the axle.
Here's a comparison between the OEM ones I pulled out of mine, and the Alloy USA ones that went in.
http://i1104.photobucket.com/albums/h328/jbchill1/Ball%20Joints%20And%20C-gussets_04-2014/IMG_3910.jpg

To look at the process i went thru Scott... Take a look at this page of my build thread:
http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11347&page=16

Also, Matt from Bleepin Jeep made a 3 part series of videos outlining the process STEP BY STEP of replacing the ball joints in a Dana 30.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bf77O90BwKc

Not saying that you are guilty of this, but I have seen many people have a hard time removing the ball joints because they are unaware of the direction in which they are pressed in.

Hopefully all this will help some.
Good luck!

xj-jake
11-06-2014, 01:38 PM
Is it knurling on the new ones? There was some knurls on the Alloy's that I installed in mine.

NVM Josh beat me to it.

cantab27
11-06-2014, 07:11 PM
doing mine tonight .....I expect to lose blood ....................:D

nickyg
11-06-2014, 07:52 PM
I used matt's from Bleepin'jeep video and it worked like a charm. And If I can do it. Anybody can..... Well let's see how Wayne does before we jump to any conclusions.

Tobyspaw
11-06-2014, 08:45 PM
Thank you for showing pics NW99XJ. Those look like mine knurled would be the correct term. Idid alot of searching and I think I watched bleepinjeeps video.I will do some more checking but, they are coming out tomorrow, even if it requires a stick of dynamite.

xj-jake
11-07-2014, 08:21 AM
Thank you for showing pics NW99XJ. Those look like mine knurled would be the correct term. Idid alot of searching and I think I watched bleepinjeeps video.I will do some more checking but, they are coming out tomorrow, even if it requires a stick of dynamite.

The tops go up and the bottoms go down. Use the press and put some good pressure on the joint and grab your trusted bfh and give a solid whack to the knuckle on the side of the joint. It should come loose. I'd never done it before and when I did mine it took me 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Good luck!

Tobyspaw
11-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Just rented the tool from advance. Much better selection of sleeves and such. Will be attempting again momentarily. Also another question,new lowers came with C-clip.I'm assuming it does not get used.No evidence of one on the old ones.By the way they are rugged ridge,omix ada,alloy.I'm doing all 4.The complete front axle is out of the jeep,working on it in the garage.

NW99XJ
11-07-2014, 10:13 AM
Just rented the tool from advance. Much better selection of sleeves and such. Will be attempting again momentarily. Also another question,new lowers came with C-clip.I'm assuming it does not get used.No evidence of one on the old ones.By the way they are rugged ridge,omix ada,alloy.I'm doing all 4.The complete front axle is out of the jeep,working on it in the garage.

mine came with clips too... best i could tell is that would be used for keeping the "dust boot" more secure, but when i put it on (testing the fit) it distorted the boot more than it helped.
I didnt see any clips on the ones I took out, and I didn't see a need to use the ones out of the box either.
So I think you're safe tossing them aside.
Make sure you take a couple pics before, during and after... I know there;s a lot of people that are interested in the process, and of course we all LOVE to see new Jeep parts.
:bacondance:

Tobyspaw
11-07-2014, 10:51 AM
They are OUT! I believe the bmfh had alot to do with it. But the advance auto parts tool has better attachments. Thank you everyone for your help.

Tobyspaw
11-07-2014, 10:56 AM
I've got pics just can't figure out how to post.Would gladly send on phone to anyone. Next,sandblasting the rear,prime,and paint. New u joints all around. Cardin joint looks a little tricky.We'll see.

xj-jake
11-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Yes the clips are for the boots. I didn't use them either. Good job on getting them out now snap some pics!!

NW99XJ
11-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I've got pics just can't figure out how to post.Would gladly send on phone to anyone. Next,sandblasting the rear,prime,and paint. New u joints all around. Cardin joint looks a little tricky.We'll see.

http://www.xjtalk.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachment s