PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with an issue w/my 1998 XJ

Trollieman
11-04-2014, 07:55 PM
Here is my issue..
I have a 1998 Jeep Cherokee XJ Sport, 4.0 I6

Battery was low, charged it, now I have a no spark no fuel issue. I changed the CPS, Still no spark, no fuel. All fuses and relays are good. And the NSS is good.
Any ideas ?? :bang:

4.3LXJ
11-04-2014, 09:06 PM
No fuel issue? Does this mean you have no fuel or it works normally? Sorry, I just don't quite know what you mean

Trollieman
11-04-2014, 09:21 PM
no spark no fuel pressure no gauges replaced cps still nothing:sad0147::sad0147:

4.3LXJ
11-04-2014, 09:25 PM
I don't think your ASD relay is working. Do you have a security system installed?

bigjim350
11-05-2014, 03:53 AM
Yep sounds like a factory or aftermarket security system keeping it from starting.

Trollieman
11-05-2014, 05:53 AM
ok thanks i will check that next just bought it no keyless entry

autotech98
11-05-2014, 08:15 AM
Have you had the battery tested? Just wondering cause you need certain voltage for the ecu to engauge.i beleive its 13.4 ???

OrangeXJ
11-05-2014, 08:53 AM
Yep sounds like a factory or aftermarket security system keeping it from starting.

Try this I had a factory alarm on my 91. If I remember correctly I had problems when the battrey went dead or disconected it. Make sure you have good batt volage put the key in the driver side door and lock and unlock it several times I think this re sets the alarm.

NW99XJ
11-05-2014, 09:32 AM
if the above door lock trick doesnt work (which if it IS a factory alarm issue, that SHOULD do the trick) ..but if it doesnt, then the post about the ASD would be correct.
I recently went thru this whole issue myself just a few months ago.
Click HERE for the write up in my build thread about it. (http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11347&page=19)

So a few quick questions to help the troubleshooting process ....

What is the instrument cluster doing? ...

Is the Check Engine Light on?

Do you have a code reader? (if so, pull the codes and report)

Do you have readouts on any of the gauges? (specifically voltage & fuel)

Does your odometer say "no bus" after a minute or so of the ignition being turned all the way on? (you wont be able to pull codes if you do though)

Does HITTING the dash above the instrument cluster change anything?

Answers to these will of course lead to more questions, but will get us moving in the right direction of getting your Jeep back on the road, or off the road... depending on what you do with it. :D
:xj-black: