PDA

View Full Version : Welcome Unsuperman!!!

Brasscatz
11-03-2014, 06:42 PM
Hi Unsuperman, :welcome: to the :xjtalk: forum!

We would love to know more about you and your Jeep. How you found us, etc...

Be sure and check out our XJ TALK SHOW! (http://podcasts.xjtalk.com) It\'s about Cherokees! It\'s like a radio talk show, but from the Internet.

Check out our sister sites, http://www.WranglerTalk.com/ and http://www.di-dah-dit.com/

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 07:21 PM
I am havig trouble reading the engine code on my 96 sport. It's randomly shutting off and sputtering. I recorded a video of the engine light flashing when I ran the check sequence. Where do I go to find help with this?

4.3LXJ
11-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Did you count the flashes? If so, what numbers did you get?

bluedragon436
11-03-2014, 07:59 PM
:welcome: to :xjtalk1: from Delaware!!

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Yea. I get like 1-2-1-1-2-55. Obviously I don't know what I'm doing. I recorded it on my phone. I can text it to someone?

4.3LXJ
11-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Here is a link for you

http://www.xjtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11570

It appears you have a crank position sensor problem

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 09:45 PM
I think those numbers are wrong. Someone send me a cell number and I'll send them the video.. It shut off on the highway several times and had trouble accelerating then it would be fine and drive great. Always stated right back up.

4.3LXJ
11-03-2014, 09:46 PM
That is consistent with a failing crank position sensor. It happens often

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 09:48 PM
How expensive is the part and hard to replace? I'm fairly mechanically inclined. I'm just new to jeeps and got this one 4 days ago

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 10:02 PM
http://youtu.be/LaKeBFTP23Y

Here is the video of my codes..

4.3LXJ
11-03-2014, 10:16 PM
It is a sensor on top left of the bell housing. It has torx bolts that can be little difficult to get to

Unsuperman
11-03-2014, 10:26 PM
Does that fit with the video of the codes it's showing?

4.3LXJ
11-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Code is crank position sensor

Unsuperman
11-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Bro at the auto parts store said there are 2 different shaped ones. Square/rectangle one and an oval one. Which do I need it is he crazy?

4.3LXJ
11-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Two different brands?

Unsuperman
11-04-2014, 11:05 AM
He said they were different shape?

4.3LXJ
11-04-2014, 11:08 AM
Not sure what he meant. They should all fit. Generally though, the Chrysler sensors do better even though more expensive

XJ Wheeler
11-04-2014, 11:41 AM
Welcome to the site. Good luck with your issues. Steve is extremely knowledgeable so you're in good hands.

When ya can, post up a pic of your jeep. Stock or not, we like em all.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

prerunner1982
11-04-2014, 01:54 PM
I believe that the two sensors is because 96 was a crossover year and its actually the plugs that are different. Disconnect yours and see what type of plug you have..

I picked up a CPS once and it ended up having the wrong plug on it for my 93 (the plugs changed about 5 or 6 times over the course of the XJ). I spliced the plug off the old sensor onto the new sensor and it worked fine for years. The correct sensor was twice the price.... it's plug must be gold plated. :rolleyes:

Unsuperman
11-14-2014, 11:58 PM
Thank you for the help guys. But I have a new issue. Tranny.

Truck has always shifted fine. Tonight tho, it was slipping. I would accelerate from a light and the rpms would go high and it would barely move. Then sometimes it would stay in a low gear and not shift. If I shut it off then back on it would shift ok and maintain speed for a few minutes. Then slip again. Restart and it would go. I limped it home. Never been lifted or on anything but factory sized tires. It's always run good. Today it was 20 degrees all day. But yesterday it was -8 and it ran fine. What could it be? I googled but I don't think I'm using the right verbage. Didn't get much.

4.3LXJ
11-15-2014, 09:32 AM
First thing is to check the fluid level and see if it is burnt. It should be kind of pink. If it is black or smells burnt, then you should at least try to change it out. We saved one with totally black fluid that was slipping that way that had 357K on it

Unsuperman
11-15-2014, 02:29 PM
I checked and the fluid is dark, and has what I guess you would call a burnt smell. Would the fluid cause it to be fine and then one day just no longer work anymore? I figured it would slowly get worse. The trans has been 100% until last night.

Unsuperman
11-15-2014, 02:30 PM
I took the s2000 to work so j can't check until tomorrow but I'm fairly certain the color was brown or grey. Not pink at all.

4.3LXJ
11-15-2014, 02:55 PM
The fluid is actually what causes the clutches in the tranny to have friction. If the additives break down, it will slip. You shouldn't drive it until you resolve this if you can. The clutches will wear very quickly if they are allowed to slip much

Unsuperman
11-15-2014, 04:13 PM
That's fine. The Honda has new tires on it and actually does well in the snow considering. So I'll drive it for the time being. I'll snap a picture of the fluid tomorrow and post it just to make sure. And as always thank you for the help

nickyg
11-15-2014, 10:17 PM
Bro at the auto parts store said there are 2 different shaped ones. Square/rectangle one and an oval one. Which do I need it is he crazy?

I have a 96 also and run into this problem often.. There are two types of 96 those with a pre obd2 harness and those with the updated post obd 2 harness.
I know it sucks but your best bet is to take a pic of the plug or take it to the store to match.. mine plugs into the harness right on the fire wall. and mine is 13mm bolts not torx. not sure if the previous owner changed em out.
I got a CPS from the dealer and it cost like $10 more then the Chinese part from orileys.
good luck and let us know how you make out.

Unsuperman
11-16-2014, 10:08 AM
I would prefer it be OdB2 as I have a Bluetooth scab tool. Where is the plug located?

4.3LXJ
11-16-2014, 10:29 AM
If it is OBDII, then they are all located under the dash on the left side in any vehicle. Some are a little hidden, such as in my Subaru, but that is where they will be

Unsuperman
11-16-2014, 10:42 AM
My Honda is left side passengers footwell. Figures Honda can't be the norm lol

nickyg
11-16-2014, 11:05 AM
On My 96 it's right above my left knee.

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Learned a lot of the jeep the last few weeks.

It's an ODB2 car, hooked my Bluetooth scan tool to it.

Changed out the crank position sensor, what a nightmare. That completely cleared the engine dying.

I replaced the tranny fluid with dex/merc and it drove much better. But I guess it wasn't full because it would hesitate that launch forward from a stop sometimes. Added some fluid and the issue went away.

All was good until my recent trip to the mountains.

Replaced my tries and loaded up the jeep. Cooler in the back, the girlfriend and some clothes. Drove up to the mountains around 65ish mph in overdrive. All seemed great until I noticed smoke pouring from the back of the jeep. I pulled over and sat. It stopped. Engine temp was good and it appeared to be coming from under the car. Not the tailpipe or motor.

It shifted really bad the rest of the trip and when I got home I pulled the dip stick and the brand new fluid was dark dark and I could immediately smell burnt fluid. How is it possible that a barely loaded up jeep would destroy fluid like that? I read that I need to drive up inclines in 3rd not overdrive. That if the trans overheats the fluid will boil out of the tranny and smoke like I saw.

My question is, is this normal? I can't believe I can't just drive a stock jeep up a hill at the speed limit without driving in a lower gear? I see people with XJs all around and they aren't smoking going up the mountains. Is there another issue? I plan to change the fluid today to dex3/merc and drive it again, then next week add a B&M trans cooler after the radiator. Should I be looking into other issues? Or do I really need to drive in 3rd the whole way up, and that's completely normal?

4.3LXJ
12-10-2014, 12:23 PM
Richard, I think this tranny is toast. Sorry to say that, but it was not shifting and working properly before the fluid change. That being said, with smoke apparently coming from the tranny, there was excessive heat buildup. With your description of the slipping and launching, the clutches were slipping. Once that happens, the fluid will fry, and quickly

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 12:59 PM
The fluid in it when I got it was black and smelled like shit. It drove great until the mountain trip. Is there any way to know for sure if it's junk before pulling it?

As always, your help and advice has been greatly appreciated.

4.3LXJ
12-10-2014, 03:16 PM
You can try one more fluid change. If that doesn't do it, you will need to pull it. We did save one with 357K that had completely black fluid and hole in the filter in the pan. So you can give it a try

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 04:21 PM
Just put in dex3/merc. We'll see how she goes. I drive about 50-60 miles highway round tri to work each day. I will check the color every day for a while and see. If it's junk I'm guessing it'll start turning black fast?

4.3LXJ
12-10-2014, 06:16 PM
Probably so

Pookapotamus
12-10-2014, 07:02 PM
How are you changing the fluid? How much do you put back in? Just taking the plug out of the tranny pan will only get you about 4 liters and the tranny holds around 12 liters. There will still be bad fluid in there.

Best thing you can do is take a line off the tranny cooler and run it into a bucket, add a line from the cooler to the bucket, start the jeep, put it in drive and find out which way the fluid is flowing. Turn off the jeep. Now run the suction side into new fluid, and the outlet side into an empty bucket. Start the jeep again, and alternate between drive and reverse, until clean fluid comes out the outlet. This will flush out all the old fluid.

Once that is done then drop the transmission pan and change the filter, if you don't flush first you could ruin/plug the new filter.

Once the pan is replaced start the jeep and top up the tranny fluid to the correct level.

This is a big job, and most part stores will offer dex 3 in a 5 gallon bucket. But it might just save your tranny.

Another option would be to find a good used tranny and swap.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 07:29 PM
I'm completely ok with trying a full flush. I was going to add a cooler anyway so maybe I can do both at the same time. I was unaware the tranny held so much.

cantab27
12-10-2014, 08:04 PM
as dana said flush the trans ......easy but a bit messing ...swapping the trans anit that bad a job .....

cantab27
12-10-2014, 08:05 PM
was the smoke white ...that's the colour of trans oil on exhaust....been there done that but mine let go........

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 08:06 PM
What hoses should I be pulling to do this?

cantab27
12-10-2014, 08:15 PM
have a read in here ..

http://www.4x4xplor.com/trannyservice.html

Unsuperman
12-10-2014, 11:21 PM
That link takes me to drain specs for trannys besides an aw4? I'm lost :-(

cantab27
12-11-2014, 01:15 AM
best I can find ...tis a wrangler......same principal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT4VJtSnaig

swearing in vid

if ya trans has been leaking and over heated it could well be toast ....heat kills em
h

Unsuperman
12-11-2014, 10:58 AM
It's never leaked on to the ground. In fact nothing leaks under it. It only smoked that one time going up hill in the mountains after about 45 minutes to a hour of just uphill.

Unsuperman
12-16-2014, 08:51 PM
So this transmission will likely meet its end soon. It's destroying trans fluid with the utmost speed.

New thing happened tho. Upper radiator hose popped off at the engine side today. Driving at night a pretty short distance. Cars never shown any signs of overheating. Guage never goes much past 210. Fluke? Or something I should be looking into?