PDA

View Full Version : A/C delete?? help new member!

Dchurchill91
10-24-2014, 10:46 AM
my compressor is seizing. I need some help. what do I do? I read one thread that said you can use an idler pully in place of the a/c compressor.. part number?? also new belt length? im a newbie so please be very descriptive ahah

NW99XJ
10-24-2014, 11:12 AM
Here's the part you'd be looking for... (shop around to get the best price)
summit Racing has it for just under $30.00
This would give you the ability to retain the stock belt length.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-34171?seid=srese1&gclid=CNHS7OXWxcECFY17fgod7AEAMA

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/RNB-34171_IK_xl.jpg

Dchurchill91
10-24-2014, 11:22 AM
Here's the part you'd be looking for... (shop around to get the best price)
summit Racing has it for just under $30.00
This would give you the ability to retain the stock belt length.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-34171?seid=srese1&gclid=CNHS7OXWxcECFY17fgod7AEAMA

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/xlarge/RNB-34171_IK_xl.jpg

sir, you are the balls and the shaft. thank you very very much

NW99XJ
10-24-2014, 11:56 AM
Glad to help out.
Hopefully this solves your dilemma...
Be sure to post up some before and after pics when your done.

Also... take a look at the "Air Gap" ... this is the space between the clutch plates, and can occasionally fill up with rust/corrosion/or grime, and can lead to compressor lock up... or at least the pulley anyways. I don't have the measurements off hand, but its an easy enough procedure from what I remember... might be able to get your compressor back up and running without having to remove it/ evacuate the system, or spend money on a part you may or may not need.
All it entails is cleaning things up with a file/steel wool/Scotchbrite/etc...
and of course some minor disassembly/reassembly... which I believe can all be done with the compressor still in the vehicle.

JeepFreak
10-25-2014, 02:32 PM
If your compressor is seizing, it's gone. It needs to be replaced. The difference between a compressor and the PULLEY seizing though is that the bearing on the pulley goes out OR the bearing in the COMPRESSOR goes out. If the pulley goes out, it is extremely easy to repair. Remove the outside A/C clutch, 3 bolts for the pulley, and the snap rings. Install the new pulley and you're golden. Just do the reverse of removal. The air gap for a 1994 Jeep Cherokee is .18-.23. It can be different. The XJ's in the 90's mostly used Nippondenso compressors. A replacement clutch is 217 bucks and change after taxes at Autozone but it costs 220 bucks with a new compressor and clutch.

HERE IS THE TEST TO DETERMINE COMPRESSOR OR PULLEY:

If you turn on the A/C with the hood up and hear a massive grinding sound with vibration from the compressor, your compressor is shot and MUST be replaced before using it EVER again. Failure to not use it will cause metal particulates to destroy your ENTIRE system starting with the TXV then the receiver/dryer then your bigger systems (evaporator and condenser). That's a 3 grand minimum replacement system.

IF YOU TURN THE COMPRESSOR ON AND IT DOES NOT GRIND OR MAKE A VIBRATION BEYOND NORMAL, YOUR PULLEY IS BAD.

That is the cheaper repair but you still should not use your A/C system since it will break your belt and cause some nice squealing. If it doesn't move easily by hand towards direction of belt travel (move it yourself without the engine on) your pulley is bad. If it grinds in the pulley the bearings are bad and if it still moves get it fixed ASAP cause when it seizes, you're done. Your belt will snap within a few miles even brand new. That friction will tear it up.

I'm A/C service trained from my automotive school and MACS in case you wanted my experience.

Dchurchill91
10-25-2014, 03:10 PM
Thank you
The pully is making a chattering sound and I think its bad. I figure I will just get an idler pully for now and if I decide to dd the jeep in the summer I will just replace the compressor. Thanks for the help!

JeepFreak
10-25-2014, 05:45 PM
If it chatters, it is indeed the bearings. Simple to replace since the old clutch will still usually fit on it if it hasn't been too damaged. I can't say buying and idle pulley will help in the long run but short term, your Jeep will continue to run although belt tension and pulley circumference need to be considered because tightening your belt to Man Spec with a smaller pulley will make it too loose and doing it to a bigger pulley will cause overtightening even though you are at spec. Some things to keep in mind.

WhiteDevil1311
10-26-2014, 07:21 AM
NW thanks been looking for that part forgot about summit and now jegs that i think of it.

Smlxjne
11-11-2014, 11:22 AM
I pulled a factory mount out of a comanche at the junk yard. Look for those in the later models as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keep the rubber side down

Dchurchill91
11-19-2014, 04:58 PM
when I removed the compressor I got no discharge from the lines...so im sure theres prolly a leak somewhere....screw it im an open window kinda guy anyway...ive never had a/c before...ill be fine...I snapped the rear right bolt off trying to take it out...unfortunately I decided to drink during the process so I took a hacksaw..cut the bolt flush drilled it out then tapped it and put a big ol 18mm bolt in it. lol thanks for the help guys.