PDA

View Full Version : Low-beam issue.

Basslicks
10-18-2014, 05:05 PM
I thought the HIDs quite working on me because my halogen highbeams (don't have bi-xenon) worked, but the HIDs did not... so I figured one of the ballasts quit working and it just keeps both headlights from kicking on.

So I went through the painstaking process of removing then and putting the sealed-beams back in, only to find out I was experiencing the same problem. Highbeams work fine, no low beams.

So I thought maybe it was the relays in the Putco harness.... swapped relays, same problem. Eliminated the harness altogether by plugging the headlights into the factory wiring... you guessed it... same problem

So by this point, I'm really frustrated and decide to just run it with highbeams... the sealed highs aren't really all the bright anyway.

I don't see how that could be the headlight switch itself because all that does is supply power to the parking light and headlight circuit... sooooooo dimmer switch?!?!?!

4.3LXJ
10-18-2014, 05:17 PM
Yes, I think it is time to check the dimmer switch and make sure it gets power all the way to the front. The switch is located on the left underside of the steering column. It is operated by a rod from the signal lever. Make sure that rod is hooked up and making it switch

cpttuna
10-19-2014, 09:10 PM
do you have tilt steering? On my son's 95, When he would re-adjust the wheel to suit himself it was either the low's or highs that would not work. reposition the wheel and they would work.

Basslicks
10-20-2014, 08:00 AM
Thanks guys... I'll be checking that today.

Mudderoy
10-20-2014, 08:28 AM
There isn't a "Jeep" relay that controls high and low beams? I'm asking, I don't know.

Basslicks
10-24-2014, 11:21 AM
Not that I've seen for the OBDI XJs... that's one of the first things I looked for when this problem rared its ugly head. Still haven't got a chance to check the mutli-switch yet either.

Basslicks
11-30-2014, 09:03 AM
UPDATE:

Fixed... got under the dash and pulled off the multi-function switch harness on the steering column... cleaned it real good and applied new di-electric grease. Works fine now.