PDA

View Full Version : Dexcool mud

OGCollard
10-14-2014, 07:00 PM
O while messing with throttle position sensor, bumpers, and leaf springs I have another thing I am starting to work on. I have dexcool mud in radiator. Flushed it out the other day but that only buys me time. Anyone know of a way to flush that from my system?

dagod16
10-15-2014, 05:02 PM
What do you mean mud?
Stick a hose up to a radiator tube when its cooled down and flush it out

OGCollard
10-15-2014, 07:59 PM
By mud I mean the substance that is created when some dexcool is mixed with green antifreeze. I have flushed twice and I am still getting new sludge when adding new coolant.

bluedragon436
10-15-2014, 09:46 PM
Yeah that mud is definitely no good... Think that is what caused the mud I was trying to flush and fight in my old 98... I was flushing mine quite often, in both directions to get as much of the gunk and build up as I could out.. Still couldn't get rid of most of it, till I did the radiator swap due to a minor crack on one of the end tanks...

dagod16
10-16-2014, 12:32 AM
Maybe try to flush the radiator with regular water then fill it with water and run it for a week before it gets real cold then flush again Eventually it will all come out. Hmmm, just keep flushing with water and running it, then drain, then fill and run it for a week then drain. It must come out at some point.

XJ Wheeler
10-16-2014, 04:41 AM
Definitely flush it, and it may take a few times. Some people use chemicals like CLR to help clear up some of that junk. It sounds like you have rust in the system. Mine suffers from it too. Try to refrain from using tap water, distilled is much better for it.

Sent via messenger pigeon - i talk, he types.

autotech98
10-16-2014, 10:04 AM
Peak makes a flush kit that uses a mild acid solution to clean cooling system.works pretty good

OGCollard
10-16-2014, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the ideas guys. I have flushed twice with the peak stuff. I actually may do it again this weekend. We are so close to freezing at night up here that I get really concerned of using straight water. Just gotta keep flushing though!

dagod16
10-17-2014, 06:10 AM
I agree on the water freezing. I had that happen to me on a vehicle years ago.

Then maybe buy some cheapo antifreeze and fill it up and just run it for a full week with some of that clr or coolant flush in the mix.

Your doing everything right. My radiator last 12 years till I had to get a new one.

The best deals are at garage sales when I find one quart of oil or a gallon of anti freeze for a buck. Good finds.